Plate Tectonics - images for lectures
- Licence: CC-by (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)
- Citation: firstname.lastname@example.org (2012) - unless an explicit citation is given.
- see also
- Animated reconstruction of plate tectonics - PALEOMAP Project, Scotese 2003, http://www.scotese.com
- Plate tectonics and geologic reconstructions - PLATES Project, http://www.ig.utexas.edu/research/projects/plates/
- Age of the lithosphere for Google Earth - http://nachon.free.fr/GE/Welcome.html
Mid ocean ridge
The Atlantic ocean floor in 1980 (NOAA/NGDC 2006) http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/image/2minrelief.html
- Movie of lava flows on West Mata Volcano (35 sec.), filmed by ROV Jason in a depth of 1200 m in the Pacific Ocean between Fiji, Tonga and Samoa; Courtesy of National Science Foundation and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (2009) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ignzZaYNU
Seismic array used to investigate the geophysical structure of the ocean floor. An air gun array towed to a vessel produces sound waves which are reflected by horizons in the lithosphere. The reflected echo is recorded by hundreds of hydrophones, arranged inside a hose - called streamer. The streamer is connected to a data registration system on board.
Vulcanoes and Lava
Plateau basalt in Scoresby Sund; lava from the opening of the North Atlantic during the Tertiary. (Fawcett et al. 1966, http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/212603a0)