Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Hi there. Thanks for contributing your image, File:Evolution of a Tornado.jpg!
You opted to release the image with a CC BY-SA 4.0 license when uploaded here, but it looks like the same image has already been published on your website. Since first publication is important, we cannot typically host images that were first published without a license compatible with Wikimedia Commons. For a variety of reasons, we require additional verification to make sure that, say, you didn't choose the license accidentally, or that someone else isn't just pretending to be you, etc.
The easiest way to remedy this would be to mark the image as CC BY-SA on your website. These instructions can help with that. If you can't or don't want to do so, the other way is to go through this release generator, which will bring you through a series of steps and present some email text for you to send in. It will eventually be attached to the file on the back end. As the judging process for the science competition is underway, please let me know ASAP if this is something you can fix. Thanks. — Rhododendrites talk | 21:41, 10 December 2017 (UTC)
- Rhododendrites There already is an OTRS ticket on the file description page "confirming that the copyright holder has approved publication under the terms mentioned on this page". So I presume someone has verified this really is Jason and he hasn't made a mistake. It is perfectly acceptable for Jason to release the image under a variety of licences, and even to declare the image "All rights reserved" on his web page if he wishes, even if that seems a bit contradictory. Thanks, Jason, for uploading the image. Good luck in the competition. -- Colin (talk) 08:46, 11 January 2018 (UTC)
- @Colin: The message above was left a month ago -- the beginning of an exchange that ended with OTRS. But yes, I agree with the rest. :) — Rhododendrites talk | 13:42, 11 January 2018 (UTC)
The image File:Evolution of a Tornado.jpg, that you nominated on Commons:Featured picture candidates/File:Evolution of a Tornado.jpg has been promoted. Thank you for your contribution. If you would like to nominate another image, please do so.
- Thanks again for your contribution. Being Featured means it will see more use both inside and outside of Wikimedia projects, and can be displayed as "Picture of the Day". If there's a particular day of the year when you would like to see it displayed on the Commons Main Page, let me know and I'll be happy to set that up. Keep in mind, though, that they're typically booked about a year out (i.e. the very first available slot is in December). — Rhododendrites talk | 21:22, 18 January 2018 (UTC)
Wiki Science Competition prize
|Wiki Science Competition in the United States, Evolution of a Tornado, has been named a national winner and will proceed to the international round! It has also been chosen for a Jury's Choice award! See all the U.S. winners in the full results. Thanks for contributing!|
Picture of the Year 2018
Hello, I am happy to infor you that your picture was selected as "Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year 2018", Congratulation! Please see Commons:Picture of the Year/2018 --Steinsplitter (talk) 17:55, 25 March 2019 (UTC)
- Congratulations! I hope you are around wiki to receive complements. It seems that you do not regularly submit photos. You did great! Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:25, 25 March 2019 (UTC)
- I am so honored that my image was chosen as 2018 Picture of the Year. I really just wanted to contribute something cool and never imagined it would lead to what it did. I apologize for not being on here or contributing regularly. My 3 year old daughter and growing business are keeping me pretty busy at the moment. Lots of 16 plus hour days. Hopefully when things calm down in the future I can find the time to be a regular here. Thank you to the hundreds of people that chose my image. I have never won a Picture of the Year in any contest before. It really means a lot to me. Thank you Rhododendrites for all of your help through this process. Thank you Bluerasberry for the kind words. — JasonWeingart talk | 21:56, 25 March 2019 (UTC)