My name is Maria Jonker. I am Dutch, but have lived in Dalyan (Muğla) Turkey since May 2009.
Before we emigrated my husband and I were active as volunteers in many nature-related organisations in the Netherlands and we are also keen film makers and photographers.
After having spent many holidays in different places all around Turkey, the choice for Dalyan seemed natural, because we have kept coming back ever since our first visit to Turkey in 1994.
That is because the natural beauty of the Dalyan - Köyceğiz SPA is astonishing and worth preserving. After our emigration we immediately decided to think of ways to be actively involved in nature and environment preservation. Small wonder we met Kaptan June Haimoff on our way ...
Because of my experience as a writer (books, magazine and newspaper articles), my passion for filming and photography and my knack with various sorts of software, I was asked to be her webmaster at www.kaptanjune.net/ .
All my contributions to Wikipedia and Wikimedia (both in Dutch and English) will be somehow related to nature in the Dalyan - Köyceğiz SPA.
My first contributions have been:
- updates and corrections to the English June Haimoff page
- a Dutch June Haimoff page
- a Dutch Liquidambar orientalis page, and
- both Dutch and English pages on the Köyceğiz-Dalyan Special Environmental Protection Area.
My Wikimedia contributions so far have been photographs of June Haimoff, Kavakarası Liquidambar forest, a panoramic vista of Köyceğiz-Dalyan SEPA, the wetlands of Sülüngür Lake, a Nile turtle.
See: Photographs by Maria Jonker. Surely more will follow, while making written contributions.
Languages I can communicate in:
- Dutch (native)
- English (near to native)
- German (good understanding; reasonable writing skills)
- French (reasonably good understanding; limited writing skills)
- Turkish (limited understanding; limited writing skills)