|I'm a member of Wikimedia UK
We are the local support group helping the Foundation to
"create a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge".
Love Wikimedia? Live in the UK? Join up, Donate and Get Involved
My main User page is at English Wikipedia.
From 13 February 2020 onwards for twelve months, I am the Wikimedian In Residence at the Khalili Collections. This will involve some uploads of material to Commons. The project page is at w:en:Wikipedia:GLAM/Khalili.
From 25 October 2016 to 31 October 2019, I was employed as the Wikimedian In Residence at the University of Oxford, based at the Bodleian Libraries. This was mainly a role that involves training staff within the university and sharing images and data from research projects.
From April 2015 to March 2016, I worked as the Wikimedian In Residence for the Bodleian Libraries, Oxford. This involves using this account for paid editing in addition to my usual volunteer work. I have put in place a system for bulk uploading to Commons from the Bodleian's collections, which I have been specifically authorised to release under a free licence. See Category:Files uploaded by the Bodleian Libraries' Wikimedian In Residence. There is a project page on Wikipedia.
- I wrote "Crowdsourcing the restoration and reuse of images" (section in the Jisc infoKit on Crowdsourcing)
Scientific categories I like to tidy up now and then
- Category:Economic diagrams
- Category:Mandelbrot sets
- Category:Periodic table
- Category:Title pages
- Category:Images including source code in their description
This work is made much easier by the Cat-a-lot gadget.
Interesting image collections
- Wellcome Images is awesome! I'm interested in finding uses for the roughly 100,000 images they have licensed as CC-BY. Project page
- The Open Access Media Importer is awesome! I'm interested in finding uses for media extracted from Open Access academic papers.
- Naturally I'm a fan of the Category:Files uploaded by the Bodleian Libraries' Wikimedian In Residence including Category:Files from the John Johnson Collection of Printed Ephemera and Category:Bodleian Maps Collection.
Some categories I've created
- Category:Medical title pages
- Category:Anatomy title pages
- Category:Chemistry title pages
- Category:Ebola pathogenesis
- Category:Ebola awareness ribbon
- Category:AIDS red ribbon
- Category:Edgeworth box diagrams
- Category:Macroeconomic diagrams
- Category:SVG treemaps
- Category:Economics education
- Category:Economic activism
- Category:Payoff matrices
- Category:Economics book covers
- Category:Prospect theory
- Category:Mundell-Fleming model
- Category:Economic history of Hungary
- Category:Macroscopic models of microscopic objects
- Category:Spectral series
- Category:Atomic properties
- Category:Animations of atomic structure
- Category:Fullerene compounds
- Category:Fullerene properties
- Category:Physical models of fullerenes
- Category:Fullerene photographs
- Category:Media from Nature Communications
- Category:Periodic table in short form
- Category:Periodic table posters
- Category:Periodic table predecessors
- Category:Art based on the periodic table
- Category:Alternative forms of periodic table
- Category:DNA photographs
- Category:Physical representations of DNA
- Category:Discovery of DNA structure
- Category:Wikidata visualizations
- Category:Photographers from Cameroon
- Category:Irish manuscripts
I have access to both Photoshop and GIMP and use these for basic restoration such as contrast correction, rotation, or removing scratches.
- This Month in GLAM newsletter and newsroom
- Commons:Guide to content partnerships
- Category:Commons partnerships in the United Kingdom
- Commons:Partnership templates
- Help for Visual File Change tool
- Callisto (map of artworks)
- Cosmos (artworks by type)
- Flemish art collections, Wikidata and LOD (white paper)
- Commons:Wikimaps and Wikimaps blog
- GLAMorgan tool for finding hits on an image category
- IIIF for Commons: https://tools.wmflabs.org/zoomviewer/proxy.php?iiif=Godward_Idleness_1900.jpg/pct:65,81,35,15/full/0/default.jpg