I am an astronomy volunteer and I am a co-author of multiple publications. My research area involves brown dwarfs, white dwarfs, debris disks and occasionally galaxies. I like to listen to J-pop and I am a fan of Yamamoto Sayaka.
I did co-discover the infrared excess around the white dwarf star LSPM J0207+3331, one of the exoplanets around K2-138 and more exoplanets. I discovered active photoevaporation of two young M-stars with circumstellar disks in the star cluster Collinder 69 using Spitzer Space Telescope images. I am one of the galaxy zoo volunteers that is actively searching for Voorwerpjes (watch this space). I also do actively search for brown dwarfs, which are being observed by researchers of the backyard worlds collaboration (more results to come in the future).
One of my past activities involve being a website moderator at a Zooniverese project, called the Milky Way Project. Beside my Zooniverse activities I am also involving myself in other projects, such as iNaturatlist and NASA's Landslide Reporter. My laptop is thinking hard about questions coming from SETI@Home, Einstein@Home and Rosetta@Home.
Artist's impression of LSPM J0207+3331, which I helped to discover
The exoplanets around K2-138
The Teacup galaxy with a Voorwerpje. Our current sample has also spectacular examples.
- Debes, John H. (2019-02-19). "A 3 Gyr White Dwarf with Warm Dust Discovered via the Backyard Worlds: Planet 9 Citizen Science Project". The Astrophysical Journal 872 (2): L25. DOI:10.3847/2041-8213/ab0426. ISSN 2041-8213.
- Garner, Rob (2019-02-19). Citizen Scientist Finds Ancient White Dwarf Star With Puzzling Rings. NASA. Retrieved on 2019-12-27.
- Exoplanet Explorers - About - Zooniverse. www.zooniverse.org. Retrieved on 2019-12-27.
- Zink, Jon K. (28 February 2019). "Catalog of New K2 Exoplanet Candidates from Citizen Scientists". Research Notes of the AAS 3 (2): 43. DOI:10.3847/2515-5172/ab0a02. ISSN 2515-5172.
- Thévenot, Melina (15 July 2019). "Photoevaporation of Two Proplyds in the Star Cluster Collinder 69 Discovered with Spitzer MIPS". Research Notes of the AAS 3 (7): 95. DOI:10.3847/2515-5172/ab30c5. ISSN 2515-5172.
- marckuchner2014, Author (2019-07-15). One Hundred Thirty-One Brown Dwarfs (in en). Backyard Worlds: Planet 9. Retrieved on 2019-12-27.
- Jayasinghe, Tharindu (2019-09-01). "The Milky Way Project Second Data Release: Bubbles and Bow Shocks". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 488 (1): 1141–1165. DOI:10.1093/mnras/stz1738. ISSN 0035-8711.
- Foreground asteroid passing the Crab Nebula (in en). www.esa.int. Retrieved on 2019-12-27.
- email@example.com. Asteroid in the Crab Nebula (M1) (in en). www.spacetelescope.org. Retrieved on 2019-12-27.
- https://melinasworldblog.wordpress.com/ my website
- https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5284-9231 my ORCID
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Meli_thev my userpage at wikipedia, which I keep updated
- Citizen Scientist Finds Ancient White Dwarf Star Encircled by Puzzling Rings press-release featuring our discovery
- Foreground asteroid passing the Crab Nebula An image that I did create was featured as the "Space Science image of the week" on the ESA website