The hard redirect is still necessary
For instance, Category:23rd Street, New York City redirects to Category:23rd Street (Manhattan). If I put "Category:23rd Street" in the search box, I get a list of possible categories, headed by Category:23rd Street, New York City. So far, so good. However, if I click on Category:23rd Street, New York City, and it doesn't have a hard redirect, I get sent directly to the "New York City" page and not to the "Manhattan" page. To go there, I have to click on the category redirect. If, however, the "New York City" category has a hard redirect, then when I click on it from the list of possible categories, I am sent directly to the "Manhattan" page, which is where I want to be. The problem is that the category redirect is too soft to send me there.
Given this, I have rolled back your changes. Please stop going through from contributions and removing hard redirects, which are beneficial to the Commons user, and have no downside whatsoever. Thanks. Beyond My Ken (talk) 22:59, 3 September 2015 (UTC)
- First off, this is different than the prior explanation of a problem between Hot-cat and Cat-a-lot. You never replied on your talk page when I asked what the difficultly was. If the hard redirects ARE useful (which you have demonstrated they are, albeit just now) then there is a reason to leave them in place. Secondly, I did not go through your contribs - I pulled a list of all hard-redirects from Category:Category redirects. If all them where created by you, that's purely coincidental.
- Thank you for your explanation. I will leave hard redirects in place, given this use. sısɐuuǝɔıʌ∀ (diskuto) 23:07, 3 September 2015 (UTC)
- I didn't answer because I didn't have the time needed to do the testing. The problems I was seeing before with HotCat and Cat-a-Lot may have been fixed, or perhaps I just didn't correctly re-create the circumstances, but in any case I was about to let your changes stand when the other thing popped up as a problem - whether it's something new, or just something I hadn't noticed before, I don't know. Beyond My Ken (talk) 01:13, 4 September 2015 (UTC)
|File:Structure of THC.gif has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Help requested (bot)
Hi Avicennasis, we need your kind help with this request. The interested cluster of images is the most important donation from a famous photographer. Thank you! --Marco Chemello (BEIC) (talk) 09:59, 30 July 2016 (UTC)
- Thank you for your help. Unfortunately your bot is not targeting the right categories: the categories that must be moved to descriptions contains points (".") to separate words (not "-"). Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Thank you again. --Marco Chemello (BEIC) (talk) 22:29, 31 July 2016 (UTC)
Notification about possible deletion
|Some contents have been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether they should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at their entry.
If you created these pages, please note that the fact that they have been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with them.
BEIC bot request
- Unfortunately I do not have the time needed to finish this task. I am sorry. I have withdrawn my bot request for this task. sısɐuuǝɔıʌ∀ (diskuto) 17:34, 26 August 2016 (UTC)