- 1 Christmas and New Year
- 2 Valued Image Promotion
- 3 Valued Image Promotion
- 4 Comment
- 5 My blank
- 6 Possible help
- 7 Schools in Victoria
- 8 1 image?
- 9 Categorisation comment
- 10 Bad Faith? - Not really
- 11 Valued Image Promotion
- 12 Images for marking?
- 13 Category names
- 14 I understand this is my fault
- 15 Comment
- 16 'You are cordially invited'
- 17 Congratulations, Dear Administrator!
- 18 2 images
- 19 One more image
- 20 File:Victoria coa.png
- 21 your flickr reviews
- 22 Commons:WikiProject Automobiles
- 23 2 images
- 24 3 images
- 25 This image
- 26 cropped image
- 27 File:Shelf cloud pano oct07 ver4.jpg
- 28 File:1978-1979 Holden UC Torana S sedan 02.jpg
- 29 Deletion, please
- 30 Category:Australia post
- 31 File:Analog_Multimeter.jpg
- 32 File:Entroido en Verín, Galiza.jpg
- 33 These 4 images
Christmas and New Year
Valued Image Promotion
Valued Image Promotion
Congrats on the Valued Image. I knew it`d fit in well there. I look forward to seeing more of your work. 220.127.116.11 19:06, 9 January 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for marking this picture here: File:Praying mantis india.jpg
- I never knew there was a 'featured picture' which subsequently failed flickr review...until I found the timelag between the initial image upload and flickr review was 18 months. More than enough time for someone to change the licensing of the flickr image. (It had been uploaded by an Admin) I was doing a CYA through the catalogue of 'possibly unfree flickr images" and when I saw this picture, I decided to contact the flickr owner and hope he would alter the license. Luckily, he did change the license or the image could have been deleted even though it was used on many foreign language wiki sites since...it was not uploaded through FlickrLickr. I also submitted a bunch of Australian images from Melbourne....including those Meerkats from Melbourne zoo and this File:Melbourne skyline night.jpg In this separate case, the Aussie flickr owner had actually changed the licenses to cc by sa 2.0 but no one bothered to submit another flickr review..until now.
Personally, I suspect there are many other older images on Commons which were submitted through a flickr link but have still not been reviewed. I have seen such images on English WP too. But I'm done with my CYA. Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 08:37, 17 January 2009 (UTC)
It was a copy of File:AlburyA&RShopFmrBankBldg.jpg somehow created when using cat-a-lot. I would have tagged it for deletion at the time but I have no real idea about the deletion process on commons and little inclination to learn. Doing admin tasks on one project are enough! If you know the correct tag, I would be pleased if you can fix it for me. -- Mattinbgn/talk 12:04, 17 January 2009 (UTC)
Dear Bidgee, If these 2 images haven't been marked when you receive my message, could you inspect them please? One was submitted for a new flickr review by me after the flickr owner agreed to change the license.
- Thanks for your kindness...sir or madam. I don't know what happened: the flickrbot marked a few images about 4 hours ago and then stopped...and missed those 2 historically important images. If you like images of ancient art, here are a few I've placed on Commons though I don't know if they will ever be nominated as a valued image:
- File:Psusennes I mask by Rafaèle.jpg
- File:Mask of Amenemope by John Campana.jpg
- File:Model of a chariot from the Oxus Treasure by Nickmard Khoey.jpg
- File:18th dynasty pharaonic crown by John Campana.jpg
- File:The Wadi es-Sebua Temple by Dennis G. Jarvis.jpg
Schools in Victoria
We now have Category:Schools in Victoria and Category:Schools in Victoria, Australia. I will leave it up to you to consider what is the better name. I probably won't be on wiki for much of the long weekend, being out and about a bit. Enjoy Australia Day. :-) -- Mattinbgn/talk 12:04, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
- Please kindly see if you can inspect this single image:
- File:Gilded silver Sassanid vase by Nickmard Khoey.jpg
I had to crop the image, so...it will need a Human Administrator or trusted user to review it anyway. Its a rare piece of art that is often lacking on Commons nowadays. Thank You for your time, --Leoboudv (talk) 12:01, 22 January 2009 (UTC)
- PeterSymonds has reviewed the image. Sorry about the delay, just had another lot of severe weather yesterday (Australian Time). Bidgee (talk) 01:01, 23 January 2009 (UTC)
- That's OK Bidgee. I didn't know you Aussies had a lot of severe weather but thanks for your kind reply all the same. With kind Regards from a cold Metro Vancouver, Canada --Leoboudv (talk) 04:24, 23 January 2009 (UTC)
Hi Bidgee - I saw you recently place an image into a new category "Spillways in New Zealand". That is fine, thanks for helping categorise. However, I noted that the new category was sorted only in one category - spillways by country. ALL categories that have a country qualifier also need to be sorted into the appropriate category in that country. In that sense, "Spillways in New Zealand" also need to be sorted into "Dams in New Zealand" (which I did). Otherwise the images can't be found in the New Zealand dam logic anymore, because the normal reader doesn't know that there is also an un-linked-to "Spillways in NZ" cat...
In general terms, also, it is extremely rare (!) for ANY category to link to only a single parent cat. Pretty much all have two, sometimes three parent cats. So a good guideline to check yourself when creating categories. Cheers. Ingolfson (talk) 12:05, 14 February 2009 (UTC)
Bad Faith? - Not really
You deleted what you called a bad faith edit on this page. Bizarre. Bad faith no. Frustration yes. It seems you cannot handle even a slight criticism? I spent about an hour today looking though (even old) drives (which I had to put in an external caddy). I do not have the original image any more. I did not know an undelete was possible. Perhaps the delete template should include that information! Feel free to undelete your false positive. Otherwise the wiki loses. I am not undermining the obvious good work you do but I find it interesting that you blank my good faith edit, perhaps embarrassed by a slap-dash approach? In which case I expect you will delete this too... It would have taken 2 seconds to check my user page...
I have added extra info on both my user pages in case of the same issue occurring.
- Mate - really appreciate the message. Really. Thanks for the undelete too - it was on a couple of pages - let me know when its done and I'll put them back in. Part of the problem I think is that I uploaded before all the automated copyright helping stuff came in. Good to know we're on the same page. The point about the template was valid though and clearly not aimed at you. Take care. SeanMack (talk) 13:04, 14 February 2009 (UTC)
Valued Image Promotion
Images for marking?
Dear Bidgee, Could you mark these interesting images. The flickr review bot has crashed (hasn't marked images for 1 week) and only some Admins have time to mark them. These are all licensed freely:
- File:Mataeomera mesotaenia 1.jpg
- File:Dendrolimus pini 1.jpg
- File:Menara Ansarr.JPG
- File:Fire and water Canberra.jpg
- File:Russian Orthodox Church and Churchyard in Alaska.jpg
- File:Mictlantecuhtli 2.jpg
- Thank You Madam (I assume you are a lady...though I admit may be wrong!) for your kind help. As an aside, may I pass my condolences to your countrymen in Australia. I never thought that 210+ people could die in a forest fire in a First World country...but then we human beings sometimes underestimate the power of mother nature. I have many relatives 'back home' in Malaysia (in KL and Malacca) and I know how lucky they felt to escape the wrath of the Boxing Day tsunami. With kind Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 11:12, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
- No problem. Well I'm a (male). ;) My username derives from the Murrum"bidgee" River which is just 5km away from were I live (but it runs next to or you could say runs though the city of Wagga Wagga). Sadly with Black Saturday (7th of February) my fears were realised since I know my Meteorology but I didn't expect the death toll to be that high (Much like the Boxing Day tsunami which shocked the world). Bidgee (talk) 11:24, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for clarifying that. You're from NSW where no one died in the fires. Sometimes I wonder if it was just luck or good training. It is strange, though, that there were massive forest fires in Victoria state and the southern parts of NSW during February 2009 while Queensland was affected by severe flooding. Mother nature is so unpredictable sometimes. With kind Regards from Metro Vancouver, Canada. --Leoboudv (talk) 21:22, 3 March 2009 (UTC)
- As an aside, if you have the time, please feel free to mark some (maybe 15-30 maximum) images in the Flickr backlog Admin Abigor told me on his talkpage it is nearly 600...and he has marked many already. So any help you can give is appreciated. It is strange that there are many trusted users on Commons but so few find the time to mark them. I am only an ordinary contributor. Thank You, --Leoboudv (talk) 02:26, 4 March 2009 (UTC)
All the category names need to follow the article naming conventions (at least the ones at english Wikipedia). There are templates that find the category using the article titles. We only use a shortened version of the name for article titles. I know there are lots of misnamed categories in other basins, but those unfortunately need to be changed as well. Potapych (talk) 15:03, 20 March 2009 (UTC)
I understand this is my fault
Thank you for your quick reply. I thought that commons accepts Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic. Thank you for letting me know.I apology my misunderstanding and try to put speeddeleting tag on some of photos with this type of license. By the way, I still don't understand why commons does not accept Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic. Is the commons for making profit? --Umezo KAMATA (talk) 13:08, 21 March 2009 (UTC)
All Photos with Noncommercial License are now deleted
Dear Bidgee. Thank you again for your quick reply. I somehow put 'Speed Delete' tag on photos with Non-Commercial License. Hopefully all problems with this are now sorted out. I really appreciate your generosity, but I think I cannot excuse this mistake as I am a novice. I read page about licensing, but not carefully. Now I understand Wiki Commons does not accept materials exclusively for non-commercial usage. If I take photos from http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons, I can upload to Wiki Commons with Creative Commons Attribution License and Attribution-ShareAlike License. I hope I do not upload such material again! However, I have not found any reasons why Wiki Commons bans photos with non-commercial license... I follow the rules, but it seems for me that Creative Commons Non-commercial license is very suitable for Wiki Commons.... If you know the reasons, please teach me.
If you have some time, please see if you could mark these 3 images. Unfortunately, I had to crop them. So, a trusted user or Admin will have to mark them in the end. They are:
- File:Wally Buono (March 2009).jpg
- File:Mayor Malcolm Brodie (Feb. 2009).jpg
- File:Ian Hanomansing (March 2009).jpg
I did not know you were applying to be an Admin but I hope you succeed sir. (Yes, someone in the RfA also thought you were a lady!)
'You are cordially invited'
If you (or someone in Australia you know) can identify this image, I'll drop my DR request here Its unused on wiki...because no one knows what it shows. Thank You, --Leoboudv (talk) 00:28, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- Hi, I've got no idea where in Melbourne it was taken. I've posted that the location is needed on Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Melbourne a if anyone there may know. Bidgee (talk) 01:08, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for your help. Someone has now identified it. I'll close the DR. --Leoboudv (talk) 09:42, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- As an Aside, before you become an Admin, please kindly see my note here about checking image histories . It will be archived by Kanonkas' system in the next few days so I think you may wish to see it today. I know everyone makes mistakes. Its just a good example of how a good image which passed flickr review...can unexpectedly face deletion in the future. Thank You, --Leoboudv (talk) 21:26, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
- Thank you for reading the note. Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 21:10, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
Congratulations, Dear Administrator!
Bidgee, congratulations! You now have administrator rights on Commons. Please take a moment to read the Commons:Administrators page and watchlist related pages (in particular Commons:Administrators' noticeboard an it subpages), before launching yourself into page deletions, page protections, account blockings or modifications of protected pages. The majority of the actions of administrators can be reversed by the other admins, except for history merges which must thus be treated with particular care. Have a look at the list of Gadgets (on the bottom there are the ones specifically for admins – however, for example the UserMessages are very helpful too).
Please feel free to join us on IRC:#wikimedia-commons-lr webchat on irc.freenode.net. There is also a channel for Commons admins, which may be useful for more sensitive topics, or coordination among administrators: #wikimedia-commons-admin webchat.
- Congrats, welcome & thanks for volunteering, Finn Rindahl (talk) 18:33, 27 March 2009 (UTC)
Dear Bidgee, also a congratz from me. I hope you did not feel too exposed by my questions ? Your reply to my questions and the overwhelming support from other users is for me a strong indicator that the interactions we had in the past are not representative of how you interact with users now-a-days. Best of luck with your future work here. --Slaunger (talk) 07:45, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks. No, I thought they were fair questions. Whats in the past will stay there and thanks again. :) Bidgee (talk) 09:06, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
Dear Bidgee, If you have the time please kindly mark these 2 images:
- Thank You Bidgee. What can I say? I pray this won't happen again. With kind Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 09:00, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
One more image
Shiva from India has agreed to license his image here as 'cc by sa'
- Could you please kindly mark it? Thank You. PS: I notice there are many flickr image waiting for review today. Strange. Maybe its the weekend rush. With kind Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 07:19, 29 March 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks sir. As an aside, you may have seen some sex 'bondage' scenes by this user Max Rebo I tried to get one of his images deleted here but was turned down. Something to do with censorship. So, it seems I'm not up to speed with Commons policies here. Perhaps one day there will be a 'no bondage' template' but not right now I guess. By the way, here are 2 good images:
- File:See how they run.jpg
- File:Masada-8 - JoshuaBloom.jpg
- Done File:Masada-8 - JoshuaBloom.jpg and FlickreviewR did File:See how they run.jpg. There will be no more 'bondage' one day (One we have way too many 'low-quality' photographs like at this category [That category may harm your eyes] for 'low-quality' images). Bidgee (talk) 12:56, 29 March 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for the reply. I feel Max Rebo is just uploading a whole slew bunch of his images here when maybe 15-20 would be preferable. When I upload an image, its usually for an article. And it should be an important person or thing like this of Marie F of Roxette: File:Marie Fredriksson by Thomas Evensson (1987).jpg But right now Max's pictures are OK with the Commons community so I have to accept it. What can I say? I'm not well versed with Commons policies here. Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 02:01, 30 March 2009 (UTC)
I assume you are talking about the discussion at Commons:Deletion_requests/Image:Ottawa_city_coa.png, basically it boils down "If the original coat of arms is in the public domain does vector-images.com have copyright their derived work?". So the first question for File:Victoria coa.png is, is the image it is based on in the public domain? The only way I can see it being public domain is if the copyright expired, so you would have to find out when it was first published. I did some research, and all I know is it was offically granted in 2005 , but I am sure it is much older. If you have any questions I would be happy to help. --Svgalbertian (talk) 14:41, 3 April 2009 (UTC)
- I did some digging, and here is a 1960 version of the Victoria coat of arms for you. --Svgalbertian (talk) 15:20, 3 April 2009 (UTC)
your flickr reviews
Hi Bidgee, I have just come across some flickr uploads that you had reviewed. They have elaborate description, which are taken verbatim from the flickr pages, but without the slightest indication of the source. That's a textbook copyright violation. I've added the source information now. It'd be great if you could be careful in the future not only to review if the license is correct, but also if the text needs sourcing. If it's taken from a flickr description, it's easily checked and easily sourced because all the information is already on the Commons description page. Thanks, Ibn Battuta (talk) 20:46, 3 April 2009 (UTC)
- Hi Bidgee, thanks for your reply! Yes, I understand what you mean :o) ... but I disagree on the matter. Why would the "description" field be handled differently from the "source" field? Or the "date" field? (etc.) Those fields were not copy-pasted into Wikipedia. And much more importantly: How would the reader know when the description is copy-pasted, and when it's not? After all, the majority of our images has original descriptions. Even many flickr imports have different descriptions. It's inconsistent to assume that many images have not copy-pasted descriptions, and then not mark if the description was indeed just copied. Do you also see what I mean, or am I making it too complicated? ;o) --Ibn Battuta (talk) 01:01, 5 April 2009 (UTC)
Could you mark these 3 nice images that are still waiting for an Admin to review them? I see a small backlog of 50+ images.
No, they are not mine...but they are OK photos. As an aside, I save some of my important images and files on USB devices...just as a backup. They're quite cheap today. Thank You Bidgee, --Leoboudv (talk) 09:34, 13 April 2009 (UTC)
- Thank you for your help. The third picture was of an Australian bird. --Leoboudv (talk) 19:44, 13 April 2009 (UTC)
If you have some time, please see if you can inspect these 3 Admin required inspections (they were cropped):
- File:Mare Frisium Hamburger Hafen.jpg
- File:Garrett Olson winds up.jpg
- File:Tomasz Raczek with fan.jpg
- Thanks. Someone is obsessed with Lykke Li as you can see in this backlog here. This is overkill if you ask me. Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 08:38, 16 April 2009 (UTC)
Dear Bidgee, Please inspect this extremely high resolution image and visually confirm--if you can--that the mangosteen image is indeed on the flickr link:
- The last time the flickr bot checked it, it said "image not found" which is patently false. When I first went through the image not found category, I located 5-6 images where the flickr link still preserved the original image. These kind of errors by the flickr bot sometimes makes me suspicious of its reliability sadly. Thank You, --Leoboudv (talk) 10:06, 18 April 2009 (UTC)
- Thank you Bidgee. Unfortunately, bots make mistakes too. Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 19:13, 18 April 2009 (UTC)
If you have time, please see if you can mark these cropped images. Got to love the Hollywood stars:
- File:Tim Berners-Lee April 2009.jpg
- File:Dana Delany 2009.jpg
- File:Kevin Rahm.jpg
- File:Kandy Tea Museum.jpg
- Wish I could mark those but I'm currently on slow old dial-up as my ADSL connection died when we had a short time power failure. :( Bidgee (talk) 11:45, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- That's OK. I see only 1 of the 4 pictures above were marked as of now. There's a back up of Admin required inspection of images but its not your fault. Dial up access for the internet was a pain because we would be timed out suddenly and my edits were for naught. I'm on ADSL here so everything is pretty quick. The city powerlines are mostly underground on my street. I live in Surrey, a suburb of Metro Vancouver. Perhaps you live in an older and more rural area of NSW with unpredictable power service...to suffer from so many powerfailures. Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 19:48, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
File:Shelf cloud pano oct07 ver4.jpg
- Having some knowledge in meteorology the above photograph displays a weak shelf cloud (possibly in the dissipation stage) due to the lack of moisture in the lower and mid levels of the atmosphere and possibly due to the lack of heating but the lack of moisture is clearly the issue since you can see the lack of Cu's (With some visible to the far east and right of the photo). Bidgee (talk) 14:20, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Hi, Bidgee. I completely muddled up when uploading File:1978-1979 Holden UC Torana S sedan 02.jpg, so could please do me a favour?
- 23:26, 2 May 2009 (white sedan - uncropped) - keep.
- 23:29, 2 May 2009 (Suzuki Vitara) - delete.
- 23:31, 2 May 2009 (white sedan - cropped) - keep.
- 23:33 and 23:34, 2 May 2009 (white sedan - cropped) - delete.
- Has to be done manually but I've moved it to the correct name. Bidgee (talk) 03:30, 9 May 2009 (UTC)
Hi,Bidgee. File:Analog_Multimeter.jpg was deleted by you,becouse copyvio.But,I don't a copyright violation.I took the photo,and uploaded on 16 March,2006.Plese see a log.I hope to undelete.Sorry,my English is very poor.--KENPEI (talk) 12:24, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
Hi. I was mistaken, the Flickr uploader of the subject image appears to be the copyright holder. Please restore the image (without my deletion request), and see User talk:Jeff G.#File:Entroido_en_Ver.C3.ADn.2C_Galiza.jpg for details. Thanks. — Jeff G. (talk|contribs) 23:05, 16 May 2009 (UTC)
These 4 images
Dear Admin Bidgee,
If you can help, please try to mark these 4 great nice images (the first is mine):
- File:Michigan theater (Ann Arbor).jpg
- File:Port Douglas, Queensland - Cabbage patch.jpg
- File:Port Douglas, Queensland - Permanent diving platform.jpg
- File:Raikkonen Spain 2009.jpg