Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:NorthWestCircuitMap2009.jpg was uncategorized on 30 January 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:43, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Embassy Racing Le Mans 2008.jpg was uncategorized on 16 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:38, 17 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:GreatBritain.A2010007.1150.1km.jpg was uncategorized on 7 November 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:37, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
- Image:MINI Countryman WRC.jpg was uncategorized on 15 November 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:42, 16 November 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Scottish Hydro Arena under construction.JPG was uncategorized on 3 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:03, 4 January 2012 (UTC)
Speedy request File:Glasgowleadimage.JPG
Would you please provide your supporting evidence for the speedy delete request of the file File:Glasgowleadimage.JPG to help determine whether it is a copyright violation. Thanks. — billinghurst sDrewth 07:51, 21 November 2010 (UTC)
- The image is a collage using other people's work without credit. Here is the top one: Glasgow_panorama.jpg Bjmullan (talk) 17:58, 21 November 2010 (UTC)
I believe that the proper cause of action is to ask for the attributions to take place, rather than to head straight to deletion. I have put that request to the contributor, and we will see how that proceeds. To note that I have copied the above text to the talk page of the work in question. — billinghurst sDrewth 07:58, 24 November 2010 (UTC)