User talk:Catfish Jim and the soapdish
Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
BotMultichillT 05:43, 10 September 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Loch Insh2.jpg was uncategorized on 9 September 2009.
- Image:LochInsh.jpg was uncategorized on 9 September 2009.
- Image:DunnichenHill.jpg was uncategorized on 9 September 2009.
- Image:Ardestie2.jpg was uncategorized on 11 September 2009.
- Image:Carlungie1.jpg was uncategorized on 11 September 2009.
- Image:Ardestie1.jpg was uncategorized on 11 September 2009.
- Image:Dunachton.jpg was uncategorized on 18 September 2009.
- Image:Dunnichen.jpg was uncategorized on 22 September 2009.
- Image:Aberlemnokirk.jpg was uncategorized on 29 September 2009.
- Image:Almnkrk.jpg was uncategorized on 29 September 2009.
- Image:Kirkbuddo.jpg was uncategorized on 29 September 2009.
- Image:Verdant.jpg was uncategorized on 24 October 2009.
- Image:Ardovie.jpg was uncategorized on 5 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:18, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:NarwalAJK.jpg was uncategorized on 9 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:05, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
Source of derivative work is not properly indicated: File:NarwalAJK.jpg
|This file may be deleted.|
A file that you have uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, File:NarwalAJK.jpg, is a derivative work, containing an "image within an image". Examples of such works would include a photograph of a sculpture, a scan of a magazine cover, or a map that has been altered from the original. In each of these cases, the rights of the creator of the original must be considered, as well as those of the creator of the derivative work.
While the description page states who made this derivative work, it currently doesn't specify who created the original work, so the overall copyright status is unclear. If you did not create the original work depicted in this image, you will need to specify the owner of the copyright.Please edit the file description and add the missing information, or the file may be deleted. If you created the original content yourself, enter this information as the source. If someone else created the content, the source should be the address to the web page where you found it, the name and ISBN of the book you scanned it from, or similar. You should also name the author, provide verifiable information to show that the content is in the public domain or has been published under a free license by its author, and add an appropriate template identifying the public domain or licensing status, if you have not already done so. Please add the required information for this and other files you have uploaded before adding more files. If you need assistance, please ask at the help desk. Thank you!