More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Please use sub-categories
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:TS-E 17mm f4L.jpg was uncategorized on 7 December 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:18, 8 December 2011 (UTC)
Just to let you know that the Featured Picture File:Canon EOS 5D Mark II with 50mm 1.4 edit1.jpg is due to make an appearance as Picture of the Day at Wikipedia on February 10, 2013. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2013-02-10. — Crisco 1492 (talk) 00:17, 4 February 2013 (UTC)