More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
-- 03:23, 15 March 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Supalert.png was uncategorized on 16 March 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:39, 17 March 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Stockpuppet1777.JPG was uncategorized on 17 March 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:40, 18 March 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Stockpuppet165.PNG was uncategorized on 19 March 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:39, 20 March 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Silly goose.JPG was uncategorized on 13 April 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:40, 14 April 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Bryce canyon 4.jpg was uncategorized on 18 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Zion canyon.JPG was uncategorized on 18 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Bryce canyon 3.jpg was uncategorized on 18 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Bryce canyon 2.jpg was uncategorized on 18 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Bryce canyon.jpg was uncategorized on 18 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Bryce canyon 5.jpg was uncategorized on 20 June 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:48, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
Wikimedia Commons has a specific scope
Thank you for your contributions. Your image or other content, File:Stockpuppet1777.JPG, was recently deleted, or will soon be deleted, in accordance with our process and policies, because it was not, or is not, within our scope. Please review our project scope, but in short, Commons is targeted at educational media files including photographs, diagrams, animations, music, spoken text and video clips. The expression “educational” is to be understood according to its broad meaning of “providing knowledge; instructional or informative”. Wikimedia Commons does not contain text articles like encyclopedia articles, textbooks, news, word definitions and such. Each of these other kinds of content have their own projects: Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikinews, Wiktionary and Wikiquote.
If the content seems to fit the scope of one of those other projects, please consider contributing it there. Otherwise, consider an alternative outlet. If you think that the deletion was in error because the contribution really was in scope, you can appeal it at Commons:Undeletion requests, giving a reason why it fits our scope to help others evaluate the matter. Thank you for your understanding.
f o x 08:49, 19 March 2011 (UTC)
|File:Stockpuppet1777.JPG has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.