Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Order of the Bath UK ribbon.png was uncategorized on 10 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:42, 11 February 2010 (UTC)
I have used some of your photos
I have used some photos of Betta splendens in my free software educational proyect "Animalandia" (http://animalandia.educa.madrid.org)
You can see directly in the follow link and clic over "Siguiente" ("Next") several times:
If you wish (and I hope yes), you can send me (via firstname.lastname@example.org) some letters or/and a photo for your "contributor profile" in Animalandia:
I want show to my students (and so everybody) that Animalandia is make for "real person", and I can tell them about "generosity", "share" and other similar words that we use very few at this time...
This is my "contributor profile" and others, for example:
In the future, I use more of your photos, I sure!
Thank you for the licence and, of course, for your splendid photos!!