More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Hi Eric, you are contributing a lot to Wikimedia. Since some years you are trying to generate ribbon bars (like Pacific Star BAR.svg at 011-10-25, and many others) using Inkscape, and there is something wrong the way you are using it. One of your last ones is USA Distinguished Warfare Medal ribbon.svg in March 2013. It is a good idea to create SVG ribbons, but such very simple drawings would be better done "by hand", as the ribbons in SVG simplified orders where you can learn a lot about.
At least, please try to generate graphics (even with Inkscape) not with only embedded rasters. Do you need advice?
Thank you sarang♥사랑 06:41, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- Okay, you tell me I do not know what I am doing with Inkscape, so I will cease and desist. I will keep doing .PNG files, as I have received no negative feedback on those. The links that you point me to don't really explain what I am doing wrong, or I am too dense to understand it. I am most concerned with accuracy and strive to find specification sheets for ribbons so that I use the correct colors and dimensions. I first tried to create .SVG files because existing files were incorrect in their dimensions or colors. Obviously, the file format has got me screwed up, so I will stick with what I can do correctly. EricSerge (talk) 17:08, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Eric, it had not been my intention to discourage you from drawing SVG images. Sorry that you received my comment like that. It is good work you contribute to Wikipedia, and good work can always be a bit better. IMHO badSVg is better than any PNG, and it is really very easy to draw simple ribbons with a text editor.
- I am not very experienced myself with Inkscape, and I remember that my first tries resulted in graphics with embedded raster images - somehow I managed then to generate real SVGs. You know, you can always ask anything at the graphics workshop or getting information at e.g. Help:Vector graphics tutorial. But it is mere fun to create simple ribbons with a text editor, the easiest way will be to take one (e.g. NATO Medal Yugoslavia ribbon bar.svg: , or Defense Distinguished Service ribbon.svg: ) and to use a text editor like Notepad++ modifying colors and shapes to the desired look.
- I would like to encourage you, you sure will enjoy drawing SVG ribbons. sarang♥사랑 07:02, 7 October 2013 (UTC)
Notification about possible deletion
|Some contents have been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether they should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at their entry.
If you created these pages, please note that the fact that they have been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with them.
|File:UNEF in Gaza.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may find Commons:Copyright rules useful. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.
File tagging File:WFP Flag.PNG
|This media was probably deleted.|
|Thanks for uploading File:WFP Flag.PNG. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (firstname.lastname@example.org). This also applies if you are the author yourself.
The file probably has been deleted. If you sent a permission, try to send it again after 14 days. Do not re-upload. When the OTRS-member processes your mail, the file can be undeleted. Additionally you can request undeletion here, providing a link to the File-page on Commons where it was uploaded (
Afrikaans | беларуская (тарашкевіца) | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form) | Ελληνικά | English | español | suomi | français | עברית | हिन्दी | magyar | Bahasa Indonesia | italiano | 日本語 | 한국어 | македонски | Nederlands | polski | português | svenska | +/−
the following content you uploaded is not free and therefore has been or will soon be deleted:
The Wikimedia Commons (this website) only hosts media files which can be used for any purpose, including:
- use in any work, regardless of content
- creation of derivative works
- commercial use
- free distribution
See Commons:Licensing for the copyright policy on Wikimedia Commons, and Commons:Image casebook for some specific examples. Some other Wikimedia projects have different licensing policies. For example, the English Wikipedia allows fair use of sounds and photographs. This is not the case on Wikimedia Commons; "fair use" materials are not acceptable here.Please make sure that you only upload works you have created yourself, those which are out of copyright, or those for which you have the required permission for the work to be used in all the ways described above. Please note that derivative works of copyrighted material are also considered copyrighted. Again, please read through Commons:Licensing, which is quite crucial to understanding how Wikimedia Commons works. Thanks for your contribution, and please do leave me a message if you have further questions.
- @Hedwig in Washington: Thank you for the note. I got the automated notice about the file earlier. I uploaded that file a number of years ago and utilized what I thought was an appropriate license. That license has since been deleted I believe. I never knowingly upload files that are not freely available under a license. Cheers. EricSerge (talk) 22:17, 23 May 2015 (UTC)
Medal ribbons all the same
I've just been enjoying your illustrations in several articles on medals and the like, and I notice that on wiki/Military_awards_and_decorations_of_the_United_Kingdom no few awards appear to have identical ribbons - as for example, the Jellalabad Medals, Candahar, Ghuznee, Cabul Medal, Medal for the Defence of Kelat-I-Ghilzie, Scinde Medal, Gwailor Star, and Kabul to Kandahar Star
Is that just dummies being used to fill an unfortunate shortage of illustrations, or were they really identical? I could have imagined they were all for different parts of the same campaign, but Kabul and Kandahar seems to two generations after most of the rest…
Then, if a soldier moved about enough to have won more than one, would he be expected to wear them next to each other, and could that still happen in any of today's armies?
- @18.104.22.168: Hello Robbie. Thanks for the note. The ribbons for those medals you mention predominantly are found with the "Rainbow" ribbon common to Honourable East India Company campaign medals. The en:Gwalior Star had no ribbon when originally issued, and is usually found to have been later mounted on that common ribbon. The ribbon was later used for the en:Kabul to Kandahar Star. A free book about those old medals can be found here: . Cheers! EricSerge (talk) 03:12, 9 November 2015 (UTC)
German Sports Badge
would it be possible to create a ribbon bar for each possible version? The German Sports Badge can be achieved in bronze, silver and gold. In addition after the successful 5th, 10th, 15th, ..., 60th try, a bi-color version of the badge is awarded as you can see here: http://www.die-deutschen-orden.de/ordensuebersicht/bundeslander/bundesauszeichnungen/deutsches-sportabzeichen-3-fassung-gold-5/
In that case the number is also added to the ribbon.
- @KamilHolys:, sure it would be possible, but quite a bit of work. The tough part would be the badge with the gold wreath and the silver letters. Adding the numbers would not be too hard. If there is a specific version you are looking for, I would be more than happy to try to do that one first. EricSerge (talk) 16:26, 16 February 2016 (UTC)
- @EricSerge:, Sorry for answering that late, I completely forgot about my question... It would be great if you could try, the first ribbon I would need is for the fifth award, the following ones wouldn't be that important and would be needed at the earliest in 2022 :) KamilHolys (talk) 16:24, 3 April 2016 (UTC)