More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Hesnesair.png was uncategorized on 23 February 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:45, 24 February 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Lnmil.jpg was uncategorized on 9 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:48, 10 March 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Ofklogo.jpg was uncategorized on 9 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:48, 10 March 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Lnklc.jpg was uncategorized on 9 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:48, 10 March 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Lntve.jpg was uncategorized on 9 March 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:48, 10 March 2010 (UTC)
You have uploaded several files that are copyright violations and you have done so despite our requests not to do so, and despite our instructions. If you do not stop uploading pictures that are not free, your account will be blocked. See Commons:Licensing for the copyright policy on Wikimedia Commons. You may also find Commons:Image casebook useful. Please leave me a message if you have further questions.
OTRS has received notice and confirmed that you have uploaded an image (File:Lnmil.jpg) copyrighted by someone else as your own. If you do not cease this activity, I will ask that you be blocked from further activity on Wikimedia Commons. Asav (talk) 07:18, 27 December 2010 (UTC)