- 1 Tip: Categorizing images
- 2 TUSC token 1cf8728aaf976cc85d48e67456b0b968
- 3 Structured Commons focus group update, Nov 21, 2017
- 4 Structured Commons focus group update, December 11, 2017
- 5 Structured Commons - Design feedback request: Multilingual Captions
- 6 Structured Data feedback - What gets stored where (Ontology)
- 7 First structured licensing conversation on Commons
- 8 Multilingual captions testing is available
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:Field Notes of Junius Henderson, Notebook 1.pdf was uncategorized on 29 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:48, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Field Notes of Junius Henderson, Notebook 1.djvu was uncategorized on 29 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:48, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
TUSC token 1cf8728aaf976cc85d48e67456b0b968
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
Structured Commons focus group update, Nov 21, 2017
Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for the the community focus group for Structured Commons :-)
- IRC office hour today, 21 November, 18.00 UTC
- The IRC office hour about Structured Commons takes place at 18:00 UTC in wikimedia-office webchat. Amanda, Ramsey and I will give updates about the project, and you can ask us questions. The log will be published afterwards.
- Tools update
Many important community tools for Commons and Wikidata will benefit from an update to structured data in the future. You can help indicate which tools will need attention:
- Check this Google spreadsheet and leave your comments (ping me if you'd like full editing access to the spreadsheet)
- More and more tools will also be tracked on Phabricator and on the tools inventory page. Feel free to add and edit.
Structured Commons focus group update, December 11, 2017
Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for the community focus group for Structured Commons :-)
Later this week, a full newsletter will be distributed, but you are the first to receive an update on new requests for feedback.
- Three requests for feedback
- We received many additions to the spreadsheet that collects important Commons and Wikidata tools. Thank you! Now, you can participate in a survey that helps us understand and prioritize which tools and functionalities are most important for the Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata communities. The survey runs until December 22. Here's some background.
- Help the team decide on better names for 'captions' and 'descriptions'. You can provide input until January 3, 2018.
- Help collect interesting Commons files, to prepare for the data modelling challenges ahead! Continuous input is welcome there.
Structured Commons - Design feedback request: Multilingual Captions
Hello! You are receiving this message because you signed up for the the community focus group for Structured Data on Wikimedia Commons.
The Structured Data on Commons team has a new design feedback request up for Multilingual Captions support in the Upload Wizard. Visit the page for more information about the potential designs. Discussion and feedback is welcome there.
On a personal note, you'll see me posting many of these communications going forward for the Structured Data project, as SandraF transitions into working on the GLAM side of things for Structured Data on Commons full time. For the past six months she's been splitting time between the two roles (GLAM and Community Liaison). I'm looking forward to working with you all again. Thank you, happy editing. Keegan (WMF) (talk) 15:09, 24 January 2018 (UTC)
Structured Data feedback - What gets stored where (Ontology)
There is a new feedback request for Structured Data on Commons (link for messages posted to Commons: , regarding what metadata from a file gets stored where. Your participation is appreciated.
First structured licensing conversation on Commons
Greetings,The first conversation about structured copyright and licensing for Structured Data on Commons has been posted, please come by and participate. The discussion will be open through the end of the month (March). Thank you. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 17:26, 16 March 2018 (UTC)
The early prototype for multilingual caption support is available for testing. More information on how to sign up to test is on Commons. Thanks, happy editing to you. - Keegan (WMF) (talk) 17:06, 24 April 2018 (UTC)