More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:Hindutash Pass in Kashmir.jpg was uncategorized on 24 May 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:42, 25 May 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Map of the Western Regions (English translation) appended to the Hsi-yu-tu-chih, compiled on the orders of Emperor Chien-lung in 1762.jpg was uncategorized on 6 June 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:43, 7 June 2010 (UTC)
- Image:The empire of King Tsewang Rnam Rgyal 1., and that of King Jamyang Rnam Rgyal., about 1560 and 1600 A.D.jpg was uncategorized on 11 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:45, 12 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:The Territorial Extent of Ladakh during the period of King Nyimagon about 975 A. D.- 1000 A.D. as depicted in A History of Western Tibet by A.H. Francke, 1907.jpg was uncategorized on 11 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:45, 12 November 2011 (UTC)
There seems to be a problem regarding the description and/or licensing of this particular file. It has been found that you've added in the image's description only a Template that's not a license and although it provides useful information about the image, it's not a valid license. Could you please resolve this problem, adding the license in the image linked above? You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file. This page may give you more hints on which license to choose. Thank you.
This message was added automatically by Nikbot, if you need some help about it please read the text above again and follow the links in it, if you still need help ask at the → Commons:Help desk in any language you like to use. --Nikbot 04:36, 1 January 2012 (UTC)
I see the deletion request has now been closed. You appear to have nominated the same file for deletion twice in November 2011 (not 2005). If there are two files that are the same, then what is the name of the other one? Two files can not have exactly the same name otherwise one would have over-written the other. Did you just want to delete the file, or is there some real problem that we need to fix. --Tony Wills (talk) 09:35, 1 April 2012 (UTC)
- Hi Arnd, I think that in the process of uploading, there are various stages and if the image being uploaded pertains to a map, then either at Release Rights or Describe stage, there is a column which specifically requests the uploader to fill in the geographical location co-ordinates! Hope this answers your query. Hindutashravi (talk) 08:27, 17 June 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks Hindutashravi for the answer. Do you remember if it is a mandatory field? Would be nice if you could make screenshot when you again coming to such a stage.
- PS: I am asking so much in details because over the last months a lot of files appeared in this category because of erroneous locations and i wonder why this happens. Before almost no user added coordinates by hand but now they do but not in a correct way. --Arnd (talk) 09:12, 17 June 2016 (UTC)