Community Insights Survey
RMaung (WMF) 01:12, 10 September 2019 (UTC)
Reminder: Community Insights Survey
RMaung (WMF) 15:23, 20 September 2019 (UTC)
Reminder: Community Insights Survey
RMaung (WMF) 20:01, 3 October 2019 (UTC)
Important message for file movers
A community discussion has been closed where the consensus was to grant all file movers the
suppressredirect user right. This will allow file movers to not leave behind a redirect when moving files and instead automatically have the original file name deleted. Policy never requires you to suppress the redirect, suppression of redirects is entirely optional.
Possible acceptable uses of this ability:
- To move recently uploaded files with an obvious error in the file name where that error would not be a reasonable redirect. For example: moving "Sheep in a tree.jpg" to "Squirrel in a tree.jpg" when the image does in fact depict a squirrel.
- To perform file name swaps.
- When the original file name contains vandalism. (File renaming criterion #5)
Please note, this ability should be used only in certain circumstances and only if you are absolutely sure that it is not going to break the display of the file on any project. Redirects should never be suppressed if the file is in use on any project. When in doubt, leave a redirect. If you forget to suppress the redirect in case of file name vandalism or you are not fully certain if the original file name is actually vandalism, leave a redirect and tag the redirect for speedy deletion per G2.
The malicious or reckless breaking of file links via the
suppressredirect user right is considered an abuse of the file mover right and is grounds for immediate revocation of that right. This message serves as both a notice that you have this right and as an official warning. Questions regarding this right should be directed to administrators. --Majora (talk) 21:35, 7 November 2019 (UTC)
⭐ The file you uploaded, is on the main page! ⭐
The file File:Israel-2013-Aerial-Mount of Olives.jpg, that you uploaded, is on the main page today. Thank you for your contributions to this project.
Category:Libraries in Golan
Hi, I renamed "Category:Libraries in Golan" you suggested to "Category:Libraries in Golan Heights" in accordance with Category: Golan Heights. Please assist me populating it. Thanks, DGtal (talk) 07:23, 5 February 2020 (UTC)
Notice of impending
Category:Ismail Shammout is considered to fulfill the criteria for speedy deletion and has been marked on its page. The following reason has been specified:
If you believe the content does not meet the criteria for speedy deletion, you may replace the speedy deletion tag with a regular deletion request (if the content has not been deleted) or request undeletion (if the content has already been deleted).
Category: Israel Hiking Map file renames
Hi, It seems that you have renamed some of the files uploaded by the Israel Hiking Map application. When renaming these files, that are linked by OSM entities, you are breaking the image link that is store in OSM and this has bad effect on the OSM community and data. I have changed the application upload prefix for future files to be "IHM". I would greatly appreciate if you could avoid changing these file names or make sure to edit the appropriate OSM entity with the new image link after the rename. I have chose to use Wikimedia common in order to store the files to avoid keeping the files to myself as the files are uploaded by users and should be open to the public. The fact that renaming a Wikimedia page breaks the image link kinda makes me regret that decision. having said that, I still didn't loose hope and I'm writing a lot of code to handle it. I can't write more code to fix these manual renames though...:-( Thanks, --Harel.mazor (talk) 12:14, 3 June 2020 (UTC)
- Dear User:Harel.mazor: I do not know what you mean by "OSM entity", but I have only changed the name of those files which are clearly on the Occupied Palestinian West Bank. I am surprised that you are apparently not aware(?) or do not care(?) about how extremely provocative it is to to name anything in the occupied Palestinian territories as "Israeli Hiking Map". If you change the future prefix to "Hiking Map", or "HM"; it will be fine. Cheers, Huldra (talk) 21:20, 3 June 2020 (UTC)
Moving Images (destroys them)
when you change the name of a picture page from pikiwiki Israel in Wikicommons the picture in pikiwiki get lost
this was the file with the old name File:PikiWiki Israel 31101 Religion in Israel.jpg
and this is the new name File:PikiWiki 31101 Religion in Jerusalem.jpg
this is the file in pikiwiki without picture https://www.pikiwiki.org.il/image/view/31101
the connection from pikiwiki tp wikicommons is based on the name of the page and you cannot just change it without a notice
It says clearly in pikiwiki templet
Please consider notifying the project before renaming or deleting this file. Further information about the project can be found on the commons-l mailing list
please rename the files to the original name
- Will you please stop uploading pictures with cleary misleading titles? When you upload a picture from East Jerusalem with the "Religion in Israel" title, then this is clearly misleading, as the international community does NOT recognise East Jerusalem as part of Israel, Also, please give me a link to the commons-l mailing list. Thank you. Huldra (talk) 20:20, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
what do you mean by " a link to the commons-l mailing list" I am subscribed to the list with my private mail