User talk:Jim Derby

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Welcome to Wikimedia Commons, Jim Derby!

-- Wikimedia Commons Welcome (talk) 17:48, 20 December 2012 (UTC)

File:Image of roof trusses from The Circle of Mechanical Arts digitized by Google.pdf[edit]

беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | català | čeština | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Ελληνικά | English | Esperanto | español | فارسی | suomi | français | galego | hrvatski | magyar | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | македонски | മലയാളം | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | polski | português | português do Brasil | русский | sicilianu | slovenščina | svenska | українська | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/−

There seems to be a problem regarding the description and/or licensing of this particular file. It has been found that you've added in the image's description only a Template that's not a license and although it provides useful information about the image, it's not a valid license. Could you please resolve this problem, adding the license in the image linked above? You can edit the description page and change the text. Uploading a new version of the file does not change the description of the file. This page may give you more hints on which license to choose. Thank you.

This message was added automatically by Nikbot, if you need some help about it please read the text above again and follow the links in it, if you still need help ask at the ? Commons:Help desk in any language you like to use. --Nikbot 18:24, 20 December 2012 (UTC)

Welcome to WikiMedia Commons![edit]

Greetings Jim and welcome to the Commons! Let me know if I can help you out in any way, and I will try, or at least try to help you figure out where to find info on something! I'v tagged this page on my watchlist, so feel free to message me back here, instead of my own talk page. Or wh ==atever works best for you. Morgan Riley (talk) 22:34, 12 February 2013 (UTC)

Rephrase, feel free to reply to this message here; if its in a week or two on a new topic, I'm more likely to respond to one on my discussion page.Morgan Riley (talk) 22:36, 12 February 2013 (UTC)

Pictures and images[edit]

Hallo, je hebt een paar foto's de verkeerde kant opgeschoven. [1] Rudolphous (talk) 19:16, 3 March 2013 (UTC)

Hello Rudolphous, Thank you for alerting me. I just started using cat-a-lot and I seem to have a problem and almost 1000 images I was trying to categorize seemed to end up in one category which does not exist. I will learn what went wrong. Thanks again. Jim Derby (talk) 22:41, 3 March 2013 (UTC)

Thanks a lot[edit]

for your great work with the traditional timber building issues here and on enWP. Finding English words in this field is often very difficult for us just with school English, they were not in the course... and the Swedish words I need are often not known even by most Swedish speaking people - so I am very happy that you help enWP to become a much better resource in this field. Best regards. Taxelson (talk) 20:48, 6 March 2013 (UTC)

Thanks Taxelson. If you have any specific questions email me at j i m . d e r b Jim Derby (talk) 11:47, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
Thanks, I will keep you in mind! (I "distorted" your e-mail above to try protect it from the boring spambots searching the web.) Taxelson (talk) 12:27, 12 March 2013 (UTC)


Do you have any suggestions how to internationalize this category. Literally translation of "sv:ängslador" may be something like "meadow barns". They were used for storage of hay harvested often on mires or around creaks and other grass producing areas often far from the farmstead. But also in open field areas. The hay (sometimes other crops or dried leafs or peat!) was than brought to the farm on the snow during winter. It may also have been a security issue not to keep all the crop at the farmstead in case of for instance fire. Those barns are usually small and spread out in the landscape (today often declining or kept for historical reasons). Typically they are either simple log constructions or sometimes reused worn out buildings moved from a farmstead. This type of barns is clearly distinguished from the "modern type" of big barns at the farmsteads. I guess this type of barn should be found also in other areas where the farmsteads are located in areas dominated by taiga (or maybe even other wide, low productive, areas). Do you see any good expression to put on this category? Taxelson (talk) 10:40, 12 March 2013 (UTC)

HI Taxelson. Sorry I was slow to respond to your last post. In English the barn you describe is called a field barn. Field barns are located close to the field where the crop is harvested rather than to the dwelling. These barns are only for the storage of the crops which takes us back to the original meaning of the word barn, a storage place for barley: not a mixed use building typical of American barns. The crop, commonly hay, could be retrieved from the field barn as needed during the winter. Field barns are "ground barns", they do not have a basement. They do not need to be as big as the main barn and hopefully the fields are not on the side of a hill where bank barns are found. Jim Derby (talk) 11:56, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
Good! Yes, Category:Field barns should replace the Category:Ängslador and subcategories. (About the mixed uses big barns at the dwellings: it is the same around here (en:Dalarna). This type of big multi purpose barns become popular in early mid 20'th century, and often you can see reused timber taken from the many small, specialized buildings, which were in the farmstead before. With dendrochronology I have in a few cases been able to find out periods of high building activity in a farm despite no old buildings persists there any more, just by dating the reused logs in the modern big barn! Taxelson (talk) 13:28, 12 March 2013 (UTC)


Why did you add File:Sir John Humphreys House.jpg to Category:Jetty? The feature of architecture is more commonly called an overhang or cantilever if I'm not mistaken. And the Jetty category is unsurprisingly full of pictures of structures protruding into water (similar to wharves and piers) as the term is normally used. It seems wrong to have these maritime structures and pictures of houses in the same category. Maybe Category:Cantilever building elements would be a better choice, or create a new category for architectural overhangs. Fletcher6 (talk) 15:32, 12 March 2013 (UTC)

Agreed. A "jetty" is a special form of a pier or wharf. Although the dab page on WP:EN suggests that it is also used to describe the overhangs in architecture, I've never seen it used that way. The term usually used for houses such as these is garrison. .     Jim . . . . (Jameslwoodward) (talk to me) 15:45, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
Sorry, I meant to check the usage of jetty as a category before using it. The term jetty is the traditional term for the overhang in timber framed buildings, the article in Wikipedia in Jettying. Look at any scholarly publication about timber framing for formal definitions with this use. The garrison revival style of architecture is derived from the jetty but the term is not used. I will go correct my mis-categorizations. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Jim Derby (talk) 16:19, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
A corresponding construction in a Norwegian Stabbur/Granary
BTW, there is a similar construction in Scandinavian timber buildings, especially granaries in Norway, see category:Stabbur but also in some Swedish ones Category:Härbren. But I do not know if it is correct to categorize them as Jettying too? It is a practical solution, so it may appear in many, more or less independent, contexts. Taxelson (talk) 19:48, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
What is the difference between a härbren and a loft? Jim Derby (talk) 19:51, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
"sv:Loft" is basically just "a second floor" in a wooden/timber building, but also used as aberration for "loftbod" or "loftgångsbod" ("bod" is a rather general term for smaller buildings). Härbre or stolpbod ("stabbur" in Norwegian) may have or may not have two floors, but only door (doors) to the lower floor - often but not always on the gable. They use to stand on posts with a mice safe construction. The "loftbod" has always entrances to each (often 2+2) rooms from outside, and usually no inner doors or inner ladders. It means they have an access balcony for second floor and a ladder accessible from outside. If there is only one floor, but two rooms and not elevated it may be a "parbod" (par- = pair). See some typical examples in the gallery below! Taxelson (talk) 22:11, 12 March 2013 (UTC)

A cup of coffee for you![edit]

A small cup of coffee.JPG Hey, nice to see you in here. As you write on your profile you are interested in vernacula architecture - I am time by time sorting such stuff of mine to special categories. So thanks for specification. Juandev (talk) 06:41, 25 March 2013 (UTC)

House passes[edit]

Spolí (Vojníkov), průchod z dvorku na sad.JPG

This picture shows the pass which is made in the house. Lets image a long house. First part to the left is residential, then follows place for anymals, than this which look like a barn and than another smaller section. This type of house I would call cottage rather than farm. The pass goes from yard to a garden, which is usually in the slope (recently I discovered simmilar house in the different region). Do you know why thay build it like than? Could we somehow categorize it?--Juandev (talk) 08:29, 25 March 2013 (UTC) File:Hda gammelgård 110803 (7).jpg

Yes an English term would be fine! (Swedish term is "portlider".) See for instance File:Hda gammelgård 110803 (7).jpgTaxelson (talk) 19:39, 25 March 2013 (UTC)
Hi Juan. I am not familiar with the passage you have shown me. The similar house like what is called a dogtrot house in the U.S. I do not think anyone knows where the dogtrot house style came from but it is found in the southern U.S where the weather is very hot and humid. The passage between the two parts of the house intensifies any breeze which feels good. Hi Mr. Axelson. The image you showed looks very much like a double crib barn. Crib barns are also found in the southern U.S. These buildings are very interesting to me. Thanks. Jim Derby (talk) 21:40, 25 March 2013 (UTC)
Hoskins House Historic District 3.jpg
Thanks Jim. I do add some pics to the category:Crib barn. However, I also removed File:Kvekgården 1.jpg from it (but added another building from same site). I doubt that this byre (or maybe stable?) will have any passway through the building but just a central "chamber" with doors to left and right. It is at least not possibly to classify as "portlider" in Swedish, I think. On th other hand I did classify this one as a Crib barn. Is that problematic, you think? Taxelson (talk) 08:24, 27 March 2013 (UTC)
Thk you both. It is interesting. I am asking Czechs via FB if they know why it was build like that here in the country.--Juandev (talk) 09:11, 27 March 2013 (UTC)
Thinking a bit further on this, it seems to be two rather different reasons for this kind of construction. The first and for which the term "portlider" certainly is adequate is the cases when there is a (more or less) closed farmstead (see for instance the position 56.749688,16.729047 at Google Street view. I do not find a good example on Commons at the moment) and the entrance is through a building - often a barn. Often such buildings have been moved out of its original context, for instance to a local heritage museum, and not always so easy to interpret any more. Another kind of buildings with a similar construction are the big threshing barns, for instance File:Söderåkersladan-Grangärde.JPG (inside), though which you can take a horse with wagon and unload/load indoor and continue forward when finished. Those buildings are usually closed, except during harvest etc, as here are no reason to just pass through for any reason but loading (when this second type is found in a (former) "closed farmstead", the usage can be rather unclear. Anyway. My problem is that I am not sure if the second type really should be called "portlider" in Swedish (probably not). And what about Crib barn than? That term seems to me rather referring to the second type! If so, Crib barn is possibly a bad choice for categorizing those buildings, or? I feel a bit confused... Taxelson (talk) 11:23, 27 March 2013 (UTC)


Sorry for the mess, but I add some examples, wich can be see on Google Street View).

I think a "closed farm" may be the same as a courtyard farm or what the Germans call a vierseithof or vierkanthof I also found the German terms ganghaus and durchgangshaus (passage or corridor house) may be similar in concept. I am not aware of any courtyard farms in the U.S. but they seem relatively common in Europe. The dogtrot houses in the U.S. are not part of a courtyard. Another thought about dogtrot houses is that in the hot summers the kitchen being separate structure from the other half of the house is another reason for their design. Jim Derby (talk) 12:35, 27 March 2013 (UTC)
Yes courtyard farm seems to be the term! A Swedish possible equivalent may be "kringbyggd gård" (Juandev: may the Spolí-farm possibly be the remains of a former courtyard type farm, or did they become inspired by one?). But the sv:Radby or de:Reihendorf, which seems to be "a collective version" of the courtyard concept, is also in need of a similar passage through a building. They were common in southern Sweden until the land reforms during 18'th and 19'th century. Now only a few remains, among them one in Långlöt. I think we would need a general term/category for rural/farm buildings with passages, but formulated in a way to keep away for instance urban streets passing through buildings, which is something else (and certainly not a "sv:portlider"!). May a Category:Farmhouses with passages make sense? Other suggestions?Taxelson (talk) 14:41, 27 March 2013 (UTC)
Hello. I just started a new category Category:Farm types by building arrangement which includes Category:Courtyard farms which must have passages somewhere. If you see better European terms to use for these categories feel free to change them. I am not sure how many "Farmhouses with passages" there are, I do know courtyard farms exist in many countries. Farm buildings are noted as being seperate, T, L or U shaped, courtyard, longhouse or other shapes many of which are listed in housebarn which is why I started a new set of categories.Jim Derby (talk) 14:56, 27 March 2013 (UTC)

Finnally I got no answer. Some of the people thing that might be a place to deliver hay under roof, or the short way to garden.--Juandev (talk) 07:51, 18 April 2013 (UTC)

No, and I think the actual reason to build with a passage shifts from building to building, and it is not always obvious why a particular building has a passage without a deeper knowledge. So maybe a more descriptive category like Category:Farmhouses with passages (as I suggested above) would make sense, or? Taxelson (talk) 18:29, 18 April 2013 (UTC)

Yes, that make sense.--Juandev (talk) 18:50, 19 April 2013 (UTC)


Hallo Jim Derby - du hast einiges in die Kategorie "Getreidekasten" gepackt - das ist lobenswert, es gibt aber bereits eine wie üblich englischsprachige cat dafür: Granaries in (Bundesland), also z.B. Granaries in Bavaria wäre die richtige Einordnung. Die Übersicht findest du in der Cat Granaries in Germany

Granarische Grüße, --Ordercrazy (talk) 16:26, 9 April 2013 (UTC)

Hello Ordercrazy and thank you. I was being bold to categorize these buildings since I am not good with the German language. In my limited research it seemed the Getreidekasten tend to be larger, built differently and sometimes used for other kinds of storage so I thought I would use the German name for the category. But, I went back and looked at each file and I was clearly wrong. I have changed all of the files and made the category Getreidekasten into a redirect to granaries. Thank you for you for catching my error. Jim Derby (talk) 23:23, 9 April 2013 (UTC)
No, ein Fehler war das ja nur halb. Alleine die Kategorisierung vieler Bilder hilft ja schon mal weiter und tut in allen Bereichen hier dringend Not. Umstellen kann man ganz schnell per Bot - aber dazu muss halt erstmal überhaupt kategorisiert sein. In diesem Sinne: Danke für deine Arbeit! --Ordercrazy (talk) 10:25, 20 April 2013 (UTC)

Autopatrol given[edit]

Commons Autopatrolled.svg

Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I have granted autopatrol rights to your account; the reason for this is that I believe you are sufficiently trustworthy and experienced to have your contributions automatically sighted. This will have no effect on your editing, and is simply intended to help users watching Recent changes or Recent uploads to find unproductive edits amidst the productive ones. Thank you. INeverCry 18:58, 14 April 2013 (UTC)

Category:Figures in fachwerk[edit]

Zunächst einmal Danke für die gute Idee einer Kategorie. Der Name sieht mir aber nach denglish aus. Wenn es das nur in Deutschland gibt, ware Category:Fachwerkfiguren passend, da ich das aber nicht glaube wäre der Name eher Category:Figures in timber framing? --Karsten11 (talk) 14:43, 20 April 2013 (UTC)

Hello Karsten11, Sorry about my long delay in answering your good question. I was honoring the predominance of both fachwerk buildings and figures in the fachewek as being German. The category in English would be "Figures in half-timbering" or "Decorative figures in half-timbered buildings". I do not object to changing the name to Fachwerkfiguren either.
Hallo Karsten11, Dies ist eine maschinelle Übersetzung. Tut mir leid, meine langen Verzögerung bei der Beantwortung Ihrer gute Frage. Ich wurde zu Ehren der Dominanz der beiden fachwerk Gebäude und Figuren in der fachewek als Deutsch. Die Kategorie in Englisch wäre "Figures in half-timbering" oder " in "Decorative figures in half-timbered buildings". Ich glaube nicht an den Namen zu ändern, um entweder Fachwerkfiguren widersprechen. Jim Derby (talk) 15:12, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

Barns on Texel[edit]

Barns on Texel like [[2]] are no Sheep pens. That kind of barns (schapenboet) are used for hay and tools.

Rob K. aka pa3ems - erfgoedfotografie 14:53, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

Hello Rob. Thank you for noticing a possible error. I have questions, though.

Are you saying the German language article Schapenboet is incorrect? Is the translation of schapenboet sheep shed? Jim Derby (talk) 15:03, 29 April 2013 (UTC)

In my opinion a Sheep Shed is (in Dutch a schaapskooi of schapenstal) used in order to keep the sheep in it. Die Schapenboeten dienen den Bauern als Scheune Greetings from Texel - Rob Rob K. aka pa3ems - erfgoedfotografie 16:19, 29 April 2013 (UTC)


Hello Jim Derby,

You created this category some months ago, but I don't understand the difference between "Telmerken" and "Carpenter marks". Isn't it simply the dutch translation? And if so shouldn't it just be one category. Or should we rename it to "Carpenter marks in the Netherlands"?

Mvg, Basvb (talk) 11:34, 30 December 2013 (UTC)

Hi Bas. I am sorry I did not see your post until today. As someone who studies historic carpentry it may be helpful to identify the country carpenters marks are found to help identify regional traits. That must be the reason I made another category, but I do not recall now. I believe there is a tradition of using English names for categories so "Carpenter marks in the Netherlands" may be better than telmerken. Jim Derby (talk) 01:51, 13 January 2014 (UTC)

File:Trunski manastir.jpg[edit]

Hello Jim, do you have an idea how to categorize this structure? I don't know the english word for this "additional shelter roof construction" or how you name it. Holger1959 (talk) 19:56, 12 January 2014 (UTC)

Hi Holger1959; It looks like the open structure was built to protect the building. I think Category:Heritage preservation is appropriate. Jim Derby (talk) 01:44, 13 January 2014 (UTC)
Thank you. I put it in this category. Holger1959 (talk) 19:38, 14 January 2014 (UTC)

File:Beckwithshaw Church 062.jpg[edit]

Hi Jim. Thank you very much for noting the 19th century arch braced truss ceiling in one of my church interior images of the medieval w:St Robert's Church, Pannal. Please could you kindly look at the above image file of the nearby Beckwithshaw church and categorise the 1886 roof-beam structure for me? I have an interest in architecture but no expertise. It looks as if it ought to be another arch braced truss job but I want to be sure. I'm currently working up an article on the Beckwithshaw church, which appears to be in a lot of ways a 19th century imitation of the much older St Robert's. So this roof structure could be yet one more parallel. --Storye book (talk) 08:27, 29 January 2014 (UTC)

Also: I'm wondering now whether the Beckwithshaw church might be scissor braced with the odd arch brace in between. Here are two more images of the same nave and chancel roof: File:Beckwithshaw Church 061.jpg and File:Beckwithshaw Church 063.jpg.--Storye book (talk) 08:41, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
Hi Store book. I think they are both arch braced trusses. Technically double arched brace trusses because there are two braces on each side. The barrel shape this creates is generically called a wagon roof. The occasional cusped braces in the Beckwithshaw Church are interesting, but I would still call them arched brace trusses rather than cusped brace truss. The scissor like trusses are confusing but I think the collar beam is the main element and interrupts the scissor braces so it is not a scissor braced truss. Contact Ken Hume and he could take a closer look for you or recommend someone. Jim Derby (talk) 12:25, 30 January 2014 (UTC)

Categories fyki[edit]

Hi, as being tagged {categorize} your edit has been fixed, please see here, thx Roland zh (talk) 17:48, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

Cat a lot[edit]

Not sure what this is about: [3], [4]. You might want to double check your recent edits?--Nilfanion (talk) 12:17, 18 April 2014 (UTC)

Hi. I am having trouble. I made a new category Dutch gables and cat-a-lot is not recognizing it. I accidentally added the selected images to category:images then again to category:redirects. It looks like I will need to manually change the 47 files without cat-a-lot. Sorry. Jim Derby (talk) 12:20, 18 April 2014 (UTC)

Empty category[edit]

Hello Jim. In April 2013 you created Category:Rafter couple found in near Almere, but there's nothing in it. I will drop a deletion request, also because "found in near" is grammatically incorrect. If you still see a reason for a category for this topic, you can create a new one with a correct name. Regards, Apdency (talk) 17:34, 25 August 2014 (UTC)


Good catch, thanks, I nominated Foundation for a speedy deletion. –Be..anyone (talk) 05:02, 5 April 2015 (UTC)

Hi Be..anyone. I questioned user Rehman who deleted foundation if foundation should be a disambiguation page rather than being deleted since it is short for a type of organization or a construction element. Interesting how guidance on disambiguation pages in Commons is lacking. Jim Derby (talk) 12:51, 6 April 2015 (UTC)
Commons consists mostly of files, files, files, categories, templates (incl. creator + institution), files, and project pages. Galleries, the main namespace with what's known as articles elsewhere, is completely irrelevant here, convoluted disambiguations are almost never needed. E.g., nobody will seriously try Foundation if they are looking for the NSF, WMF, or Foundations. I'll just remove the now unnecessary DAB note from Wikimedia Foundation again, FWIW this "gallery" should look nice.:-)Be..anyone (talk) 20:10, 7 April 2015 (UTC)

Garrison Photo[edit]

Hey Jim, I saw you wanted a pic of a contemporary garrison-style house, and I happened to have one of a house I built in Maine c. '88-89.

Olsen Hesketh Brownfield ME


E4024 (talk) 06:32, 17 January 2018 (UTC)


Sitacuisses (talk) 20:40, 13 April 2018 (UTC)