More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:ElementListJS.png was uncategorized on 26 January 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:46, 27 January 2010 (UTC)
File:Macou stamp featuring geometric magic square.jpg
I just uploaded this image a few minutes ago and am still corresponding with Wikimedia about the copyrights. Could you please wait until the permissions and so on are all nailed down before suggesting it be deleted. I do have a Ticket# Patience.--Foobarnix (talk) 20:57, 11 November 2014 (UTC)
about File:National Anthem of the Republic of China (Taiwan).ogg
- Everything on that page is shared 'for non-profit purposes only'. And unfortunately that means it cannot be uploaded to Commons, which only accepts content which allows for commercial usage.--JohnBlackburne (talk) 05:06, 14 January 2017 (UTC)
- Thank you, however, the work uploaded is not from the page, and the term applied on it comes from Government Website Open Information Announcement. --Hst0129 (talk) 05:12, 14 January 2017 (UTC)
Your VFC installation method is deprecated
Hello JohnBlackburne, we are aware that using the old installation method of VFC (via common.js, which you are using) may not work reliably anymore and can break other scripts as well. A detailed explanation can be found here. Important: To prevent problems please remove the old VFC installation code from your common.js and instead in your preferences. Thanks! --VFC devs (q) 16:23, 22 May 2017 (UTC)