|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 06:04, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Ali's Doubles Harris Street.JPG was uncategorized on 21 August 2009.
Please take a look at:
Please take a look at File:Curry Duck from Trinidad and Tobago.JPG which is categorised under Category:Cuisine by country. It seems to be an image of a Marcus Garvey, not of "curry duck". Also, please don't categorise images under "Category:Cuisine by country" but under the country cuisine itself, such as Category:Cuisine of Trinidad and Tobago. As the image File:Divali meal.JPG does not carry any information about 'where it was made, I can't recategorise it in to the correct category. Please do so yourself. - Takeaway (talk) 10:29, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
Please carefully read COM:OVERCAT. For instance, if you put a file into Category:Doubles (food), you shouldn't also put it into Category:Street food in Trinidad and Tobago because it will be considered over-categorisation due to the fact that the category for doubles is itself already placed into the streetfood category. Thank you. - Takeaway (talk) 08:13, 16 July 2016 (UTC)
- Thank you again for all the images of Trinidad and Tobago but please read COM:OVERCAT. If a file is already in a correct subcategory (or subcategories) of Category:Caribbean, it should NOT be also put into Category:Caribbean. For instance, your upload File:Manzanilla Bay, Trinidad - The effects of coastal erosion and flooding.jpg is already in Category:Beaches of Trinidad and Tobago, which is a subcategory of Category:Beaches of the Caribbean, which in turn is a subcategory of Category:Geography of the Caribbean, which itself is a subcategory of Category:Caribbean. COM:OVERCAT states that this file should ONLY be placed into Category:Beaches of Trinidad and Tobago, and NOT into Category:Caribbean. I have removed those files in the meantime. - Takeaway (talk) 22:41, 21 July 2016 (UTC)