More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 18:10, 7 September 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Jefferson County KY places.svg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
Hello, from what I understand, in January 2013 parts of the Petersburg Census Area, Alaska were incorporated into the newly formed Petersburg Borough. Could you update http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Alaska_boroughs_and_census_areas.svg to include that? By the way, I am surprised that this borough hasn't been reflected in so many articles (including articles mentioning the number of US counties and county-equivalents) and most images that show Alaska's boroughs... I know Alaska has low population, but isn't it weird that a Bulgarian that has nothing to do with Alaska is going around Wikipedia trying to (help) update articles and images that have been rendered inaccurate because of that new borough's creation? :) Anyway, thanks in advance :) 188.8.131.52 23:19, 20 September 2013 (UTC)
- P.S. Even authorities are not consistent with what Alaska's detailed administrative division is. But as Fritz Keppler responds to you here, time will tell. Gee, I'm so fussy about administrative divisions (because I love everything to be clear and uniform), the fact that there isn't consistency between the separate US authorities really annoys me. I can't really blame them in being too lazy to update their info though, after all whenever there is even a slight change in the layout and subdivision of an area, problems arise (since a change in one element of a system more often than not leads to change in one or more other elements). I wish the Unorganized Borough was just divided into normal boroughs, with official, detailed, unambiguous borders between them - it all would be so much more simple. :) 184.108.40.206 03:34, 21 September 2013 (UTC)
Yes, you are correct. I have been waiting to see how the US Census Bureau decides to handle the remaining land from the Petersburg and Hoonah-Angoon Census Areas not incorporated into the city. When I find out I will update the map, though I'm guessing it won't be until next year. --Lasunncty (talk) 11:21, 24 September 2013 (UTC)