Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
TUSC token 4f16d035f0450902f9c7abf28293345b
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
Please tell me about your browser
Recently you transferred an image, and part of the text transferred as gobbledygook. This wasn't your fault, but rather some sort of bug with the interface; I've seen it happen to many other users too. So that I can file a bug report, can you please do me a favor and tell me:
- Which browser are you using? Also, do you know which language you have set as your browser default? (e.g., English, Spanish).
- Which operating system are you using? If different, what is your operating system language? (e.g., English, Spanish).
- Did you use a different language as the default at the bot transfer source?
- Hello Magog the Ogre. I'm not the guy who transferred the picture your link redirect to, but I have transferred two pictures yesterday from the English wikipedia to Commons. So if the same problem occurs with my uploads, please consider my responses to your questions below:
- I'm currently using IE8 (8.0.6001) in French language.
- My OS is Xp SP3 in French too.
- and I didn't changed the default language in the transfer bot, so I remained in English during the transfer process.
- Regards. MattMoissa (talk) 09:51, 11 May 2012 (UTC)
- Oops! I added the wrong link. I meant to add this one: File:50thDivInsigniaFinal.jpg. But thanks; I now have enough information to work with, hopefully. Magog the Ogre (talk) 14:43, 11 May 2012 (UTC)
Picture of the Year voting round 1 open
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:
- Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
- This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee