User talk:Nbarth/Archive 2009
Valknut, Borromean rings
Categories were not really meant to be established for one or two images only. If one creates a new category which is relevant to a number of images on Commons, then ideally it would be nice to place all relevant images in the new category, or at least make a good-faith start at doing so (rather than just placing one or two images into the category, and then quitting)... AnonMoos (talk) 11:42, 8 September 2009 (UTC)
- Hi AnonMoos,
- I assume the above is intended to say "could you please populate categories that you create?" though it comes across as "you incompetent lazy lout", which I hope was not the intention.
- I've been busy, but as I have time now, I have extensively filed images into:
- I see that you are also quite interested in Borromean rings; do you think subcategories would be useful, such as:
- Borromean rings in heraldry (9 images, fits well into the heraldry categories)
- Borromean valknuts (5 images, links up Borromean/Valknut)
- Incomplete Borromean rings (7 images, more correct?)
- If so, I'd be happy to create them (and populate them ;-)!
- Nils von Barth (nbarth) (talk) 19:22, 19 September 2009 (UTC)
- It means "It's not always a good idea to start a project and then implicitly leave the great majority of the work on it to other people". That sometimes works with Wikipedia stub articles, or when creating categories which are to be predominantly filled with images to be uploaded subsequently -- but when creating categories whose implementation would require a significant amount of recategorization work among previously-uploaded images, it isn't necessarily always enthusiastically welcomed here.
- I don't see a need for a separate category for Borromean valknuts (whose status is sufficiently indicated by belonging to both the Borromean and the Valknut categories), but incomplete Borromean rings emblems are not really Borromean rings as such, so the current categorizations could be considered inaccurate. The best title would probably be Category:Incomplete Borromean rings interlacings ... -- AnonMoos (talk) 00:07, 20 September 2009 (UTC)