Thank you for providing images to the commons. Please keep in mind that images and other files on the commons must be under a free license and should be useful to the wikimedia projects. To allow others to use your files, some additional information must be given on the description page. Most importantly:
- Describe what it is about in a short sentence. (What does the image show?)
- State the author and the date of creation. If you made it yourself, say so explicitly. If it is from another wikipedia user link his local user page.
- If you did not create the file yourself, state the source you got it from.
- Add a Copyright tag - images without a appropriate license tag will be deleted.
- Add the image to one or more gallery pages and/or appropriate Categories, so it can be found by others.
If you copied the file from another wiki, please copy all information given there and say who uploaded it to that wiki.
Please add as much information as possible. If there is not sufficient information, the file may have to be deleted. For more Information, have a look at Commons:Licensing, Commons:criteria for inclusion and the Community Portal. If you need help or have questions, please ask at the village pump. Thank you. -- Joolz 12:25, 16 July 2005 (UTC)
|Image deletion warning||The image Image:AbdulBaha1.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests. If you feel that this image should not be deleted, please go there to voice your opinion.|
Thuresson 13:12, 4 August 2005 (UTC)
|Image deletion warning||The image Image:LotusTemple.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests. If you feel that this image should not be deleted, please go there to voice your opinion.|
Thuresson 07:00, 1 September 2005 (UTC)
|Image deletion warning||Image:UHJ.gif has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests. If you feel that this image should not be deleted, please go there to voice your opinion.|
Thuresson 07:51, 4 October 2005 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 06:19, 2 June 2009 (UTC)