Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content).
You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold when contributing and assume good faith when interacting with others. This is a wiki.
-- 13:56, 20 July 2011 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Arzier, chartreuse d'Oujon et maison basse attenante (monastère médiéval).jpg was uncategorized on 21 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:09, 22 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Saint-George, scierie et ancien moulin, amenée d'eau.jpg was uncategorized on 22 July 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:35, 23 July 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Château de Prangins 4.jpg was uncategorized on 17 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:53, 18 September 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Château de Prangins 2.jpg was uncategorized on 17 September 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:53, 18 September 2011 (UTC)
Your mass-uploads in July/August 2011, referring to Switzerland : Categorisation
Hi, please use useful categories and don't over-categorize your images, i.e. please do not categorize your uploads (an example of your recent activity):
You'll help to save time and capacity on commons by categorizing:
- Category:Ollon, or, preferred when you upload several images referring to the same object, usually the name of the (EN/FR) wikipedia article the images are used in, p.e. Category:Ollon Castle etc.
Please use as far as possible the most speciic category of the regarding city/town/village or district (if there's no category) etc., or, a localized better 'fitting' i.e. the 'most fitting"' category(ies). Do not add - in addition - the categories of the "parent category", among them cities, states/cantons and countries etc.
For further information on categories please read Commons:Categories referring to an accurate categorisation, simplifying your further uploads and categorisation in general. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them at the commons:help desk.
Thank you for your assistance, 126.96.36.199 18:40, 8 August 2011 (UTC)
- Hi, once again, please try to avoid that senseless way of categorisation, thanks 188.8.131.52 19:41, 23 August 2011 (UTC)
File:Musée_romain_de_Nyon1.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
184.108.40.206 19:50, 17 September 2011 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Monuments 2011 has finished
Thank you for contributing to Wiki Loves Monuments and sharing your pictures with the whole world. You are very welcome to keep uploading images, even though you can't win prizes any longer. To get started on editing relevant Wikipedia articles, click here for more information and help.
- Message delivered by Lucia Bot in 00:15, 18 October 2011 (UTC)