User talk:Peter Mercator
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, Peter Mercator!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
BotMultichillT 06:08, 7 April 2009 (UTC)
- Image:201globe.svg is uncategorized since 6 April 2009.
- Image:205infinitesimal elements on sphere and plane(2).svg is uncategorized since 10 April 2009.
- Image:Infinitesimal elements on sphere and cylindrical projection.svg was uncategorized on 3 November 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:56, 4 November 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Test cp scale 1.svg was uncategorized on 18 November 2009 CategorizationBot (talk) 10:59, 19 November 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Mercator and straightened rhumb.png was uncategorized on 9 August 2010 CategorizationBot (talk) 17:02, 10 August 2010 (UTC)
- Image:Ellipsoidal coordinates.svg was uncategorized on 18 December 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:19, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Geocentric coordinates.svg was uncategorized on 18 December 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:19, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Geodetic coordinates.svg was uncategorized on 18 December 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:19, 19 December 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Mercator 1569 world map text key.png was uncategorized on 28 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:40, 29 January 2012 (UTC)
It has been found that Image:205infinitesimal elements on sphere and plane(6).svg has a deprecated license tag. Please choose a new free license tag which describes the rights of the image correctly otherwise it will be deleted!Thanks for your consideration. This is an automatic message by Nikbot.--Filnik 18:42, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
William Roy blue plaque
Peter, thanks for the kind words. The William Roy plaque photograph is horrible; I've been there twice, both visits were early evening - it seems to be the quality of the light at that time of day that results in the rather "gloopy appearance". I took about 10 shots the first time, a similar number the second and they were even worse. It's also quite high up, second storey. It is circular but shot from ground level. I will doubtless be that way again and will have another stab at it.
William Roy blue plaque
I found myself at Oxford Circus this morning. No guts were busted in the acquisition of the better version of the image that I've just uploaded.