Our first steps tour and our frequently asked questions will help you a lot after registration. They explain how to customize the interface (for example the language), how to upload files and our basic licensing policy (Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content). You don't need technical skills in order to contribute here. Be bold contributing here and assume good faith for the intentions of others. This is a wiki — it is really easy.
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
- Image:Font, St. Mary, Deerhurst.jpg was uncategorized on 16 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 21:42, 17 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:St. Mary, Deerhurst, East end.jpg was uncategorized on 16 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 21:42, 17 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Gravensteen, Ghent.jpg was uncategorized on 20 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 18:41, 21 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Nave roof, York, from south aisle.JPG was uncategorized on 24 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:57, 25 January 2012 (UTC)
- Image:York Minster, nave and central tower.JPG was uncategorized on 26 January 2012 CategorizationBot (talk) 13:38, 27 January 2012 (UTC)
Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I have granted autopatrol rights to your account; the reason for this is that I believe you are sufficiently trustworthy and experienced to have your contributions automatically sighted. This will have no effect on your editing, and is simply intended to help users watching Recent changes or Recent uploads to find unproductive edits amidst the productive ones. Thank you. INeverCry 18:48, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
File:Romanesque arches, Ely.JPG
- Wow! You are right, and Encyclopaedia Britannica of 1911 was wrong.
- --Ulamm (talk) 20:34, 23 February 2018 (UTC)
File:King's Land, Shipley.JPG has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
188.8.131.52 12:49, 27 September 2018 (UTC)