More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel irc:wikimedia-commons #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons talk:Licensing.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
BotMultichillT 06:16, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Servidor..jpg is uncategorized since 20 January 2009. BotMultichillT 06:16, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
|Wikimedia Commons does not accept fair use content. Fair use laws vary from country to country, and uses that are acceptable under US law, for example, may not be acceptable in many other countries with more restrictive rules.
Also, fair use is only applicable in a few limited contexts. The use of a media file in one context may be considered fair use, while the use of the same file in another context may constitute copyright violation. In particular, fair use does not extend to the collection and distribution of media files in a media database such as Commons. Therefore, Commons cannot legally rely on fair use provisions.
Non-free content that may be used with reference to fair use may be uploaded locally to projects which allow this.