User talk:Rillke/Discuss/2012/2

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
← previous page 2012 → next page
Babel user information
en-2 This user has intermediate knowledge of English.
de-3 Dieser Benutzer beherrscht Deutsch auf hohem Niveau.
fr-1 Cet utilisateur dispose de connaissances de base en français.
Users by language



Garden photos[edit]

When reading your thread at COM:VPC, I noticed another thing about your garden photos (File:Hannover - Herrenhäuser Garten - Großer Garten citrusgarten.jpg and File:Hannover - Herrenhäuser Garten - Großer Garten citrusgarten - Schachbrettmuster.jpg). Are you aware that you listed GFDL as a licence in the EXIF but that this licence isn't present as a template on the file information page? --Stefan4 (talk) 22:21, 16 July 2012 (UTC)

Hello Stefan4, I just didn't spend time adding anything more to the photos as long as it's not clear we can keep them. -- Rillke(q?) 06:05, 17 July 2012 (UTC)

License review script[edit]

Is it possible to modify the script to provide an option for BollywoodHungama and Filmitadka images as "no source" in addition to copyvio and provide a user note? In many cases for these uploads, the link is incorrect and fixable by the uploader. cheers. —SpacemanSpiff 08:19, 17 July 2012 (UTC)

Hello SpacemanSpiff, there is an option in license- allowing you to tag the file as no source and notify the uploader. Is this not sufficient? What do you imagine? Thanks -Regards Rillke(q?) 11:47, 17 July 2012 (UTC)
When I click the license- it automatically tags as copyvio and does not notify (yesterday I wanted to do this for six images, and on four of them it went to copyvio, the other two I did not continue this process). Is there something I'm not doing correctly then? cheers. —SpacemanSpiff 11:50, 17 July 2012 (UTC)
Sorry, I think it's related to my internet lag or something, I see the options today with sufficient time to select the option. Yesterday, I could only see the top option and it'd go automatically to that. My mistake. Also, on a related note, can one of the bots be customized to check BollywoodHungama as it's now has about 2800 files in unreviewed category? cheers. —SpacemanSpiff 11:57, 17 July 2012 (UTC)

At first glance I see you've installed both scripts:

// contains also user notification when review fails, auto blacklist-check and auto-thank you message for Flickr-reviews.
// stable script for reviewing images from any kind of source OR

I guess you clicked on a link of ZooFari's script. To deacivate ZooFari's script, you can simply put // in font of the line so it then reads

// importScript('User:ZooFari/licensereviewer.js');

. If the license-template was IndiaFM, it was always tagged as copyvio instead of asking. This is changed in my script now so it prompts whether to tag as copyvio or no source.

Please purge your browser’s cache . (You only need to do it once.)

Internet Explorer: press Ctrl+F5, Firefox: hold down Shift while clicking Reload (or press Ctrl+ Shift+R), Opera/Konqueror: press F5, Safari: hold down Shift+alt while clicking Reload, Chrome: hold down Shift while clicking Reload

Regards -- Rillke(q?) 12:28, 17 July 2012 (UTC)

Thanks, I just realized about the two scripts when I was adding Cropbot, so I removed Zoofari's script. Sorry for all the trouble. cheers. —SpacemanSpiff 12:42, 17 July 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for working on the backlogs, this is appreciated. Regards -- Rillke(q?) 12:52, 17 July 2012 (UTC)



It seems you’ve done a mistake on {{Superseded}} (maybe it was here before…). If you look on any pages in Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Superseded, you can see that there is too time the File: prefix.

Cdlt, VIGNERON (talk) 19:50, 19 July 2012 (UTC)

Pictogram voting keep.svg Fixed - Sorry, forgot about checking other languages. I assumed are checking for existence like the de-one so it wouldn't matter but they didn't. -- Rillke(q?) 08:22, 20 July 2012 (UTC)
Thanx. VIGNERON (talk) 16:51, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for notifying me. -- Rillke(q?) 22:54, 27 July 2012 (UTC)

Re: File:Gadon cover.jpg[edit]

Oh, I forgot, sorry. I just put the license. Thanks for undeleting it :) . Regards, -Antonorsi (talk) 02:01, 20 July 2012 (UTC)

You are welcome. -- Rillke(q?) 22:53, 27 July 2012 (UTC)


hi, i write to you for this image that seem a wrong copy of this i'm not sure about copyright laws so if you are, can you give a check at "free for public use" and if it's possible load all those maps to commons? thanks --Assianir (talk) 08:19, 20 July 2012 (UTC)

It's not a wrong copy of but is from
I am not entirely sure about the meaning of The maps are free for public use and we don't have a license-template for works of the European Commission. I am going to ask on COM:VPC. -- Rillke(q?) 10:48, 22 July 2012 (UTC)
Seems like it would be Ok to upload them. I've not automated process for this but given the limited number it will be faster doing this by hand. Next week, I'll start! -- Rillke(q?) 22:52, 27 July 2012 (UTC)
✓  Done . List at Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:PVGIS-jrc-EU-upload. You can alter Template:PVGIS-jrc-EU-upload so it transcludes a category to get a visual overview. -- Rillke(q?) 22:28, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
Thanks :-) --Assianir (talk) 22:45, 1 August 2012 (UTC)


Gibt es einen Grund dafür, dass du bei {{LicenseReview/de}} {{ISOdate|{{{date|}}}|en}} und nicht {{ISOdate|{{{date|}}}|de}} verwendet hast? --Aa1bb2cc3dd4ee5 (talk) 16:15, 22 July 2012 (UTC)

Hallo Aa1bb2cc3dd4ee5, nein, das habe ich einfach übersehen. -- Rillke(q?) 16:38, 22 July 2012 (UTC)
Danke für die schnelle Antwort. --Aa1bb2cc3dd4ee5 (talk) 18:13, 22 July 2012 (UTC)

Names of months in the localization language[edit]

Hello! Not so long ago the script VisualFileChange.js started adding in the name of the category name of the month in the localized language (in my case it's Russian). See here. --Art-top (talk) 12:22, 27 July 2012 (UTC)

Thank you, wgMonthNames is now in Page content language, instead of "Site content language" and seems to have changed on special pages to your user language. This will also affect MediaWiki:Gadget-AjaxQuickDelete.js. I will write a work-around. -- Rillke(q?) 14:23, 27 July 2012 (UTC)
Fixed in version Thanks for reporting this issue! -- Rillke(q?) 22:51, 27 July 2012 (UTC)

Latest edition[edit]

Review the image which has replaced the disputed one [1]. Thanks Clarificationgiven (talk) 08:23, 28 July 2012 (UTC)

Martin H. did explain it. Regards -- Rillke(q?) 17:16, 30 July 2012 (UTC)


... für deine Bemühungen mit dem Kulturagenten. Ich hab da jetzt auch schon einiges Engagement reingesteckt ([2], [3]; [4]; [5]) bin aber jetzt auf deine Diskussion mit Kulturagent auf seiner Seite aufmerksam geworden. Schön, dass das - soweit man das jetzt beurteilen kann - ein erfreuliches Ende nimmt. Viele Grüße --Isderion (talk) 23:30, 1 August 2012 (UTC)


Hello, Rillke. Is it possible to add that template to notify user set. Thank you for the numerous work on script here--Morning Sunshine (talk) 16:57, 4 August 2012 (UTC)

Hello Morning Sunshine, I added the template. It is likely that your browser chached the old scipt. To empty the cache, go to the script and hold down Shift while pressing the Reload button at the script-page.
You also do a very good job. Thanks! -- Rillke(q?) 18:20, 4 August 2012 (UTC)


Hallo Rillke/Discuss/2012/2. Magst du das Gallery Tool auf für die de-Sprachvarietäten aktivieren? {{MediaWiki:Listfiles-summary/de}} wird wohl wegen der Übergabe des Benutzernamens nicht funktionieren. --Leyo 08:30, 9 August 2012 (UTC)

Ja, so sieht es leider aus. Ich denke nicht, dass es sinnvoll ist MediaWiki:Listfiles-summary/x in allen Sprachen zu erstellen. Zuerst müsste MediaWiki:JSONListUploads.js zum RL portiert werden, damit Übersetzungen möglich werden, dann könnte man den MyUploads (od. Eigene Dateien) zum Tool ändern. -- Rillke(q?) 19:01, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
Ich spreche nur von de-at, de-ch und de-formal. In der de-WP ist es beispielsweise so gelöst. --Leyo 19:33, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
Nun, es ist ein Wiki. Der Nutzername wird nicht als Parameter übergeben ($1) sondern aus dem Titel extrahiert (FULLPAGENAME). Daher sollte auch eine Vorlageneinbindung, wie von Dir vorgeschlagen, funktionieren. -- Rillke(q?) 21:21, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
Stimmt, danke. Ich hab's nun umgesetzt. --Leyo 21:49, 9 August 2012 (UTC)


Dear Rillke, Nice maps you have uploaded under the above license. I tried to mark an individual one as license reviewed, but that didn't work properly. Is it your intention to have the individual uploads reviewed, or collectively so through the template? Kind regards, Lymantria (talk) 09:02, 16 August 2012 (UTC)

Dear Lymantria, I made Template:PVGIS-jrc-EU-upload because I found that the source and attribution would be the same for approx. 100 files. Therefore it would be kind if you would have a look at Template:PVGIS-jrc-EU-upload. The template contains the attribution-template and the license-review template.
There is a switch for distinguishing Africa-maps from Europe-maps because they need different attribution. The s= parameter needs just to be extended to site=.
If you would like to inspect all files on a visual basis, you may add a category to the template. Thank you for your efforts in license reviewing.
Best regards -- Rillke(q?) 11:00, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
✓  Done I noticed a link-error as wll and fixed it here. Kind regards, Lymantria (talk) 13:54, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
Thank you very much. -- Rillke(q?) 14:00, 16 August 2012 (UTC)

Big thanks :)[edit]

VisualFileChange is excellent - work much appreciated :) --Herby talk thyme 12:15, 17 August 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for your work and the kind words. -- Rillke(q?) 07:47, 1 September 2012 (UTC)


Hallo, eigentlich wollte ich nur eine Datei wie gewünscht verschieben und dann passierte das. Kapieren tu ichs nicht, aber vielleicht kannst Du helfen? Gruß, --4028mdk09 (talk) 17:42, 17 August 2012 (UTC)

Hallo, ich habe das Problem schon auf bugzilla:39391 gemeldet. Sollte es weiterhin auftauchen, bitte ich Dich, Dir einen Bugzilla-Account anzulegen und dort die Priorität des Bugs zu erhöhen und einen Kommentar (Beobachtungen wann dieses Problem auftritt) abzugeben. -- Rillke(q?) 18:57, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
Danke. --4028mdk09 (talk) 19:06, 26 August 2012 (UTC)

Commons:Deletion requests/File:Q34.ogg[edit]

Jeden Sonntag morgen werden solche Dateien automatisch in Commons:MIME type statistics/Unusual types verlinkt, wodurch ich diese dann meistens im Laufe des Sonntags konvertieren kann. DR ist (zumindest) bei .wav ein overkill. ;-) --McZusatz (talk) 18:48, 30 August 2012 (UTC)

Hallo McZusatz, danke für's konvertieren. Wenn es keiner gemacht hätte, hätte die Datei allerdings gelöscht werden müssen. Mit dem DR wollte ich sie nur erstmal "tracken" und außerdem dem der die Umbenennung der Datei gefordert hat, sowie dem, der versucht hat sie umzubennen, klarmachen, warum es nicht geht. Letztlich hoffe ich immer der Uploader (der ja vllt. noch mehr audio-dateien hochladen will) fixt das Problem dann selbst. -- Rillke(q?) 07:46, 1 September 2012 (UTC)
Das mit dem rename habe ich erst gar nicht gesehen. Und ja, sollten das mehr als eine Hand voll an Uploads werden, wäre es wirklich besser diese gleich in vorbis hochzuladen. (Habe den Uploader auch schon drauf angesprochen). --McZusatz (talk) 09:03, 1 September 2012 (UTC)



Ich wollte jetzt nicht alle Dateien bearbeiten, deswegen bitte ich dich hier, alle Dateien in Category:Dorfkirche Lennewitz umzubenennen, da ein Rechtschreibfehler (Dorkirche statt Dorfkirche) enthalten ist. Ich hoffe das ist okay für dich. Einen schönen Tag wünscht --Yoursmile (talk) 19:45, 5 September 2012 (UTC)

✓  Done . Hoffe ich jedenfalls. -- Rillke(q?) 19:54, 5 September 2012 (UTC)
Ich danke dir und entschuldige mich für die entstandenen Umstände --Yoursmile (talk) 20:15, 5 September 2012 (UTC)

"Perform batch task" appears broken[edit]

When I select 'append any text' I'm still getting prompted for things like "Select the files to delete and fill in the reason". Broken JavaScript, I imagine. - Jmabel ! talk 02:20, 7 September 2012 (UTC)

Hi Joe, thanks for the report. Do you have v. in your cache or an older version? If you press Shift+Ctrl+J, are there Errors (only errors are important) in the JavaScript-error-console? Which browser are you using? Thanks in advance. -- Rillke(q?) 07:41, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
Shift+Ctrl+J gives quite a few errors I'm using Firefox 15.0.1. Apparently I don't have v. it says "Batch Surgery Script v.". How do I update this? Ctrl+F5 just reloads the page I launched it from. - Jmabel ! talk 15:47, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
Please go to the raw script page and then Shift+Reload. If everything works as expected, mdScriptRevision: ' turns into mdScriptRevision: ' Tabs where VisualFileChange was in use must be reloaded before the new revision can be used in them. If problems persist, Ctrl+ Shift+del, select "all" in the menu on top and only tick the checkbox cache. Other checkboxes shouldn't be selected or you maybe loose your session-cookies, site prefs,… After you did so, reload the page and try it again. -- Rillke(q?) 16:07, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
I have no idea what Shift+Reload would mean (never heard of a "reload" key) but Ctrl+F5 on that page did indeed do the job. Fixed, at least for me. - Jmabel ! talk 00:35, 8 September 2012 (UTC)
Well there is no {{button}} here at Commons. -- Rillke(q?) 09:13, 8 September 2012 (UTC)

TV Screenshot deleted (File:Novo Logo ALTV.jpg)[edit]

because you deleted my page Logo of ALTV ... Do I need a permit to use a picture taken from TV? Adeilton Mesquita (talk) 17:53, 7 September 2012 (UTC)

Read: →→→ Commons:Screenshots#Audiovisual works or Commons:Capturas de pantalla#Trabajos audiovisuales. Why did you remove my reply from your talk page? Attempts to unveil? In either case, this isn't friendly. -- Rillke(q?) 18:22, 7 September 2012 (UTC)

Re: Renaming files in favour of one project[edit]


Ajax sysop[edit]

Hello, perhaps you'll be able to help. Ajax sysop is the most useful piece of JS I ever found in our projects, and it's been broken for quite a long time now; Pathoschild started the rewrite, but some pieces are still missing: could you give a look sooner or later? The tracking bug for this is here. Thanks, Nemo 20:48, 9 September 2012 (UTC)

I don't have access to the steward-things so I won't have a look at them. These Ajax-links are useful and there is at least gadget AjaxPatrolLinks you could use until the remaining parts are back to work. But I don't think that I'll have a lot of time at all. -- Rillke(q?) 23:13, 9 September 2012 (UTC)

Eynhallow Orkney.svg etc[edit]

Thanks for the note about File:Eynhallow Orkney.svg. I was aware of the problem with a number of my earlier Orkney locator maps and fixed the Licence and descriptions at the same time as replacing them with better maps, all but Eynhallow which for some reason was unable to save over I have done it now, though we are left with a duplicate at File:Eynhallow - Orkney.svg. If a duplicate is to be deleted, it ought to be the one with the hyphen, so that the file names are consistent in the series. Hogweard (talk) 21:47, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

The other files you list all have the licence and a description: the description is in every case "X, in Orkney". Hogweard (talk) 21:52, 10 September 2012 (UTC)
I've updated the list. Thanks for replying. It would be kind, though if we could stay on your talk page. -- Rillke(q?) 21:56, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

You have mail[edit]

Yes check.svg ResolvedRillke(q?) 21:25, 13 September 2012 (UTC)

Hi Rillke. You should have some Wikimail from me for some days, please let me know if you got it. Thank you. --Krd 11:17, 11 September 2012 (UTC)

Hi Krd, I responded already - and Troy also sent an e-Mail to OTRS.
I will send you an un-redacted version to your private mail address.
Thanks for letting me know that you didn't receive these mails. Regards -- Rillke(q?) 11:38, 11 September 2012 (UTC)

File:0 Geranium psilostenom ‘Bressingham Fair’ - Yvoire.jpg[edit]

Hello Rillke. I noticed the file name at the Geranium psilostemon page of the English wikipedia has been changed, as you've changed the file name at Commons. However I'm hoping the file name can be changed again as it is incorrect; it should be psilostemon, not psilostenom. I don't know if you're able to do this, but you seemed the most obvious person to contact. Thanks. PaleCloudedWhite (talk) 21:27, 11 September 2012 (UTC)

Hi PaleCloudedWhite, welcome at Commons, I didn't change the file name. I just ordered the bot to replace the old file name with the new one. Jean-Pol GRANDMONT, the uploader requested this file to be renamed and FleetCommand moved it. You can see this in the revision history of the file.
In future, you can fix this, whenever you are logged-in by clicking the move-tab beneath the search input or "edit"-tab. In vector skin, it is hidden in the dropdown with the gray arrow. See RenameLink.
I will rename the file again so it will get the right name.
Kind regards -- Rillke(q?) 21:42, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
✓  Done . If you have the time, please read the full message above. Thx -- Rillke(q?) 21:47, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
Thanks. I had only viewed the file at Wikipedia, so hadn't been able to work out how to edit it myself (there's seemingly limited scope for user input on files). As you can see, I'm a bit of a Commons virgin, so to speak. PaleCloudedWhite (talk) 22:04, 11 September 2012 (UTC)

Gadget implementation. Open search in new tab[edit]

Hi. Can you implement the gadget discussed here?:



Search results in new tab section Interface: Other. -- Rillke(q?) 23:25, 20 September 2012 (UTC)

Thanks! This will help with getting it implemented on Wikipedia, too. It is being discussed here:
en:MediaWiki talk:Gadgets-definition#Open search result list and search suggestions in new tab --Timeshifter (talk) 06:15, 21 September 2012 (UTC)


re deletion = my mistake = do it Victuallers (talk) 11:31, 13 September 2012 (UTC)

✓  Done -- Rillke(q?) 14:06, 13 September 2012 (UTC)

RenameLink forces case in file extension[edit]

Hello, why does your RenameLink gadget enforce that file name extensions be lower case only? My camera produces pictures ending in ".JPG" (so, in all capitals) and if I upload a series of them and make a typo in the title of one of them, then I am not able to ask for have it renamed by your tool because it forces me to change the case of the extension, which would break the naming consistency of the whole series. Note that the issue with case in file extensions is a broader one and there are similar issues across Commons, such as that the tool used by file movers does not allow them to change just the letter case in a file extension, arguing that "jpg" and "JPG" are the same (well, semantically they are, but technically they are not, since file names on Commons are case sensitive). Marek BLAHUŠ (talk) 23:11, 13 September 2012 (UTC)

It makes use of the same function that "sanitizes" the file name of the script/tool used by file movers. Its origin (before 2010 when I joined Commons) can be found in times where we had the same file name, just one time with upper case extension and one time with lc extension, I think. Some people found this confusing. But I am not entirely sure and I guess one of our "old users" will be able to give you a more satisfying answer. -- Rillke(q?) 08:11, 14 September 2012 (UTC)
Thank you for your input, the issue seems to have a global scope. I have just filed a bug at [6]. Marek BLAHUŠ (talk) 10:11, 18 September 2012 (UTC)
Thank you. -- Rillke(q?) 08:43, 26 September 2012 (UTC)

Global usage[edit]

Hallo Rillke/Discuss/2012/2. Mir gefällt das neue(?) Feature Global usage von VisualFileChange. Ich hatte hier mal nach etwas Ähnlichem gebeten, wobei dies dort lokal auch etwa für die NowCommons- (ungleicher Name), SLA- oder JetztSVG-Kategorie nützlich wäre. Siehst du es für mit vertretbarem Aufwand machbar, diese Funktion für die de-WP anzubieten? --Leyo 00:14, 14 September 2012 (UTC)

de:Wikipedia:WikiProjekt Dateikategorisierung/Werkzeug/x.js sieht ja mächtig aus! Das muss ich mir bei Gelegenheit mal genauer ansehen.
Übrigens ist das, was für die Zahlen verantwortlich ist MediaWiki:Gadget-GlobalUsage.js. Du möchtest es also in der DE-WP nutzen; dann aber nicht als globalUsage, sondern nur local usage?
Infinity war so nicht gewollt von mir, musste ich aber nehmen, nachdem die MediaWiki devs meinten, badges dürfte es nur mit Zahlen geben. Vorher stand da ein "?". -- Rillke(q?) 08:36, 14 September 2012 (UTC)
Ja, PerfektesChaos hat da eine ganze Menge Arbeit reingesteckt. Ich finde das Werkzeug sehr nützlich, auch wenn es noch einige Bugs drin hat. Mit der verwandten Funktion kann man sich in einer Kategorie oder Gallery die Dateinamen entsprechend dem Status (Lizenz, in Dateiüberprüfung, NowCommons, etc.) einfärben lassen.
In den genannten Kategorien wäre es nützlich, auf einen Blick zu sehen, welche Dateien gefahrlos gelöscht werden können und wo noch Entlinkungen bzw. Linkfixes vorgenommen werden müssen. Mit Ausnahme von ShadowsCommons-Dateien sollten global und local usage gleich sein. --Leyo 10:01, 14 September 2012 (UTC)
Das Problem mit fileusage (local usage) ist, dass man nur eine Datei auf einmal abfragen kann, weil es kein prop sondern ein list modul ist und weder von einem anderen Generatormodul genutzt werden kann, noch den titles parameter akzeptiert. GlobalUsage ist bei den SLAs und den lokalen JetztSVGs immer 0 (gibt's ja nicht auf Commons und dementsprechend kann sie keiner verwenden). Ein GlobalUsage kann ich jedoch für Galerien (also auch Kategorien; alles was in solchen Kästchen angezeigt wird…) umgehend anbieten, wenn gewünscht. -- Rillke(q?) 00:26, 23 September 2012 (UTC)
Hm, da bin ich wohl einem Irrtum erlegen. Ich dachte Global usage würde bei lokalen Dateien die lokale Nutzung zeigen. Interessant für die de-WP wäre aber schon vor allem die Nutzung von lokalen Dateien. Meinst du mit fileusage de:Spezial:Linkliste? --Leyo 16:03, 25 September 2012 (UTC)
2 Beispiele: Dann kannst Du selbst herausfinden, welche API-abfrage mit welcher GUI-Seite übereinstimmt: imageUsage (nur ein Title möglich); globalUsage (kein Ergebnis für lokale Dateien aber mehrere titles möglich). -- Rillke(q?) 16:35, 25 September 2012 (UTC)
Danke. Wer weiss, vielleicht wird API ja mal in einer Weise geändert, dass auch bei imageusage mehrere Titles möglich sind. --Leyo 16:44, 25 September 2012 (UTC)

Re:A barnstar for U![edit]

Thank you, those translations are very simple. I tried to start translating the basic functions that are active for all users. Then I will turn to others. I am very happy to have received this award. :) Raoli ✉ (talk) 15:26, 14 September 2012 (UTC)

They're very useful, I'll use them right away. thank you Raoli ✉ (talk) 21:55, 15 September 2012 (UTC)
Is it possible to translate the notice Gadget-translation-editintro into italian and other language? Raoli ✉ (talk) 22:35, 15 September 2012 (UTC)
Basically, yes but it's the same as with Translate this, isn't it? It was made for people who understand English, I think. -- Rillke(q?) 22:42, 15 September 2012 (UTC)
Ok, I asked for confirmation of my idea. thank you Raoli ✉ (talk) 23:27, 15 September 2012 (UTC)

Bureaucrat suggestion[edit]

Hello Rillke. Nice to see you again. I'm rather busy with my study now and I won't be regularly available here until the mid-2013. However, I will come here as soon as I have time. Hope you can help me like you had done before. Today, I come here to see your opinions of becoming a new bureaucrat on Commons. As you can see, we have had 2 'crat at the start of this year. However, bots requests need more help as just 2 'crat: EugeneZelenko and 99of9 takes care of this. You have a good knowledge on bots and you are also an active admin so you fit this position very well. I think the community will have no problem electing one more. Tell me whether you accept or not. Thank you very much--Morning Sunshine (talk) 16:30, 14 September 2012 (UTC)

Hi Morning Sunshine — if you permit — HoangQuan, if you like me to care for your watchlist entries, you may e-Mail me your watchlist-token. It is in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-watchlist was made to allow sharing for users you trust. If you like to stop sharing it, you can change it any time. If there is something else, I should watch (e.g. your talk page), let me know please.
Concerning the question whether to become a 'crat: Thank you for your trust, however I both don't believe that I would like doing bureaucratic tasks nor have enough time for it. As you can see at the heading of this page, I am very busy and this won't change during 2012/2013. Frankly, I even thought about retiring.
I wish you good luck and best results for your study. Rillke(q?) 19:39, 14 September 2012 (UTC)

en-wp upload script[edit]

Hi Rillke, could I ask you for your technical advice once more regarding our En-wp upload script? For some time now, there has apparently been a technical error that used to be absent, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's a side-effect of the server changes you mentioned in your latest post ("CORS enabled"), but I'm really at a loss about how to fix it. Could you have a look at en:Wikipedia talk:File Upload Wizard#No confirmation of upload completed? Thanks ever so much, – Fut.Perf. 07:30, 18 September 2012 (UTC)

This wasn't a direct result of the activation of CORS but because a change for the iFrame headers -- Rillke(q?) 16:54, 18 September 2012 (UTC)

RE: MediaWiki:RenameRequest.js[edit]

I have translated the sentence to Spanish and Galician. --Vivaelcelta {discusión  · contributions} 02:10, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

Thank you. -- Rillke(q?) 20:07, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

thumbnails query[edit]

Sorry I took so long to reply to your post. It has now been forwarded to the list. Cheers. Kaldari (talk) 17:29, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

Thank you. -- Rillke(q?) 20:08, 19 September 2012 (UTC)

VisualFileChange.js error trying to list the cat-members[edit]

Error trying to list the cat-members. ##### API request failed (cm_badcontinue): Invalid continue param. You should pass the original value returned by the previous query

VisualFileChange.js reports the above error in red text on my second attempt at using script.

What I did:

  • browsed to Category:Fête_des_lumières and clicked the "Perform batch task" under toolbox at the left sidebar;
  • clicked "More Options" and selected Start Date of 2010-04-02 and selected order of oldest to newest and clicked proceed

After getting the above red text warning I retried, after pressing F5 on the category page and repeated the above steps but left the order as default - the error message was the same. I will repeat a few variations after I post the message to attempt to isolate the cause.

Browser: Opera 12.02

Skin: Monobook, with empty monobook.js and User:84user/monobook.css;

I had installed VisualFileChange.js at User:84user/common.js, the script shows "Batch Surgery Script v."

I have a largish number of preferences and gadgets enabled, here are a selection:

Wikimedia Editing preferences: Advanced options: Use live preview; Warn me when I leave an edit page with unsaved changes; Enable input method.
Wikimedia gadgets: Improved navigation Slideshow, ZoomViewer, PopUps;
Wikimedia gadgets: Interface: Files and categories - Place categories above all other content; Long Image Names in Categories.
Wikimedia gadgets: Interface: Other - ExtraTabs2, WikiMiniAtlas.
Wikimedia gadgets: Maintenance tools - Thumbnail Purge, Page Purge, Gallery Details, AjaxQuickDelete d, Quick Delete, Tineye tab, GoogleImages.
Wikimedia gadgets: Language support - Language select.

Update: I find the script works by default without choosing More Options.

-84user (talk) 22:24, 24 September 2012 (UTC) added more details -84user (talk) 22:55, 24 September 2012 (UTC)

Is this fixed with version -- Rillke(q?) 08:41, 26 September 2012 (UTC)


Ist es möglich den Wert, der die Anzahl der maximalen Verschiebeaktivitäten auf (z.Zt. bei mir) Acht begrenzt, hochzusetzen? --McZusatz (talk) 12:38, 25 September 2012 (UTC)

Kann ich nicht. Dazu müsstest Du Administrator werden oder einen Bot-Antrag stellen. Beides können nur Bürokraten vergeben. -- Rillke(q?) 13:45, 25 September 2012 (UTC)

PSM image names[edit]

If you have taken the trouble to read the introductory page to the PSM project HERE, you would have known why image names were made in all lower case. If you are so religiously spend your time with nonsensical contributions, then be thorough and replace all 14,000+ image names. If you are not willing to do so, then please revert the names you changed so thoughtlessly. I have put a lot of thought and effort into considering ALL users of Wikimedia, be it in Windows, Lunux, or Macs. — Ineuw 21:39, 27 September 2012 (UTC)

Hi Ineuw, if you like to link to Categories, you have to prefix a : in front of the term Category: [[:Category:Popular Science Monthly illustrations|HERE]] in order to avoid the page itself is categorized.
Would you mind giving me the name(s) file(s) in question? Usually, I perfer not making nonsense-edits so I am wondering what happened here. My move-log is here. If you think I abused the possiblity moving files, you can report it here. Thank you. -- Rillke(q?) 06:59, 28 September 2012 (UTC)
All images in this category Category:Popular Science Monthly illustrations, as well as for all my other projects, use the lower case. The images in question were: File:PSM V43 D658 Sacred pool at Haridwar.jpg, File:PSM V43 D662 The sacred pool of Haridwar and bathing pilgrims.jpg, and File:PSM V43 D666 Pilgrims swarming around the sacred pool at Haridwar.jpg. — Ineuw 15:03, 28 September 2012 (UTC)
Then, you should have had a look at the revision history of those files (or using your words If you have taken the trouble to read the revision history carefully):
before starting this unfriedly thread on my talk page. I can't change that the CommonsDelinker bot cites my name but I usually don't move files. I instruct the bot to replace usage after the files have been moved in order to preserve proper display on all pages.
In this case Dharmadhyaksha asked for renaming these files and Bill william compton moved the files.
I herby advice you that, in case you would like to complain at their talk pages, you do this in a more sensitive manner (i.e. not using phrases like spend your time with nonsensical contributions). If you don't, I am going to forward this to my colleagues at COM:AN; especially because you can not expect everyone reading the project page you wrote entirely yourself.
But why all this trouble if we could avoid it? I offer hereby simply moving them to a lower-case extension and changing the redirects accordingly, if you want me doing so.
Thank you. -- Rillke(q?) 15:34, 28 September 2012 (UTC)
Apologies for my outburst. It's just that I've had numerous nonsensical interactions in the past with Commons users which delayed my work unnecessarily. I will contact the two above mentioned users and point them to the explanation on the Category page. — Ineuw 22:47, 3 October 2012 (UTC)

Oh yeah! I requested for that nonsensical move because my sense tells me that the city's name is "Haridwar" and not "Hurdwar". And while requesting move i also requested for capitalized proper noun form as i wasn't aware of the all-very-clearly-written description on one of the category's page. I will make sure i read whole of the Universe before requesting other moves.
But what is real fuss about small case names? I can see File:PSM V39 D010 Niels Henrik Cordulus Hoffmeyer.jpg, File:PSM V39 D156 Nikolaus Copernicus.jpg, File:PSM V39 D448 F W A Argelander.jpg and many more using capital letters. So i don't see that there are problems because of this usage on proper nouns of people. Then why are computers crashing when it comes to places? §§Dharmadhyaksha§§ {T/C} 05:14, 4 October 2012 (UTC)

Permit me to clarify. People know the capitalization of proper personal names, and when the file names are only of people, then they were properly capitalized. However, proper names as part of the description were all lowercased as in File:PSM V03 D143 Spiral nebula in canes venatici.jpg. The reason for this was to ease typing of references in non-Windows OS. The OS doesn't crash, but requires users to constantly refer to the original. - I just tried to save time.
The file names came from the image descriptions in Wikisource which use the idiosyncratic 19th century style of "Upper and Lowercasing" of descriptions, and then "Small-Capped" them. If one opens a Wikisource page with an image & description in edit mode, this is revealed.
So far, I've uploaded over 15,000 originals, of which ~1,000 were deleted because of quality and naming problems. It was on my 2nd try that I laid down the rules, to meet Commons rules for upload and Wikisource rules for proofreading. The estimated total will be about 21,000 images. Also, a lot of earlier uploads are being replaced with better quality sharper replacements, as I learned to use the software properly. I can use "haridwar" instead of the "hurdwar" to keep up with modern naming, but want to stay consistent with the capitalization rules.
I can write a booklet on the various 19th century publication styles, but this is neither the place and the time. — Ineuw 06:05, 4 October 2012 (UTC)
Well... were those images deleted because some admin couldn't verify the images from sources only because of the capital letters? Thats odd. I don't think we have bots doing adminships yet. But anyways... my aim was to simply get the right spelling. Now as that is done, you can have it your way as you know better of it all. §§Dharmadhyaksha§§ {T/C} 03:37, 5 October 2012 (UTC)

Uploads nach Kategorie bzw. Vorlageneinbindung[edit]

Hi Rillke/Discuss/2012/2. Ich frage hier, weil ich nicht sicher bin, ob dafür eher das Gallery-Tool oder VisualFileChange geeignet wäre. In vielen Fällen wäre eine Einschränkung der Uploads eines Benutzers auch eine bestimmte Kategorie oder eine Vorlageneinbindung nützlich. Ersteres kann man zwar mit dem Gallery-Tool machen, aber bei Benutzern mit sehr vielen Uploads (Beispiel) blättert man da ewig (zudem fehlt dort ein Zeilenumbruch, so dass das Fenster ab ~50 immer breiter wird)… Praktisch fände ich, wenn das Ergebnis verlinkt werden könnte. --Leyo 09:37, 30 September 2012 (UTC)

Mit CuteSelect kann man in VisualFileChage alle Dateien einer Kategorie auswählen. Übrigens kannst Du jetzt auch alle Bilder einer x-beliebigen Seite (außer Spezialseiten) in VisualFileChange laden.
Das Ergebnis zu verlinken ist momentan noch nicht möglich und wird es wohl auch nie sein; aber die Anfrage (d.H. alles was eingegeben wurde) zu verlinken steht fest auf meiner TO DO Liste (neben der Verbesserung des navigation panel). Das wird dann Hash-Links (die mit dem #) wie der GoogleTranslator verwenden.
Du kannst das Ergebnis der Abfrage von GalleryTool aber schon jetzt exportieren (die Tabelle mit Pfeil dran).
Eine Vorlagenfilterung ist wiederum schwieriger, weil man dazu bei der API zusätzliche Informationen anfordern muss (die sonst gar nicht benötigt werden).
-- Rillke(q?) 20:22, 30 September 2012 (UTC)
Danke für die ausführliche Antwort! Cute Select Files ist was ich gesucht hatte. Nur leider funktioniert es für das oben verlinkte Beispiel nicht. Wenn ich bei In Category Chemical images that should use vector graphics einfüge und auf Apply klicke, passiert nichts. Es gibt auch keine JS-Fehlermeldung. --Leyo 20:56, 30 September 2012 (UTC)
Es wird nur aus den geladenen Dateien gewählt. Gerade habe ich es mit Chemical images that should use vector graphics bei den Uploads von Edgar181 (aufgelistet von alt nach neu) versucht und Datei 97 (File:KHSO5.png) wurde gewählt. Nach dem Klick auf Anwenden, wird der Dialog nicht geschlossen damit man komplexe Auswahlen durchführen kann (z.B. Dateien, die in einer anderen Kategorie wie beispielsweise Vector version available sind, auszuschließen). Man sieht ja im Hintergrund trotzdem, wenn eine Datei gewählt wird, weil sich der Counter ändert.
Übrigens musst Du nicht unentwegt klicken. Dadurch geht es auch nicht schneller. Nach dem Anwenden des Filters läuft im Hintergrund solange eine Anfrage an die API, bis ca. 2 Seiten voll sind oder 800 Hochladeereignisse des Nutzers abgefragt wurden (nach den 800 Ereignissen geht nichts mehr, aber das sagt GalleryTool gemeinerweise nicht). Wenn Du also weisst, dass wenig Ergebnisse zu erwarten sind, ist es ratsam, Show only the user's latest upload per file zu deaktivieren und einfach eine Minute nach Eingabe der Kategorie zu warten, und dann weiter zu sehen. Übrigens hat GalleyTool die folgenden Dateien gefunden:
Autolist generated by JSONListUploads aka Gallery-Tool from Wikimedia Commons, a non Wikimedia-developed tool.
<gallery showfilename=1>
File:Magnesium carbonate.png
-- Rillke(q?) 10:49, 1 October 2012 (UTC)
Danke für die Erklärungen! Den ersten Teil habe ich erfolgreich nachvollziehen können. Kann man sich da auch eine Dateiliste ausgeben lassen?
Beim Gallery-Tool habe ich's mit Warten versucht, aber da passiert bei mir nichts. Nach dem Filtern nach der Kategorie kommt (und bleibt) No filter-results.. Dasselbe gilt auch, wenn man nach mehreren Minuten Wartezeit weiterblättert. Was mache ich falsch? --Leyo 11:50, 1 October 2012 (UTC)
Das geht leider nicht (wäre auch irgendwie unpassend für VisualFileChange). Wenn Du magst, erkläre ich Dir die API und wie Du damit am einfachsten umgehst, so dass Du selbst große Datenmengen abfragen kannst, ohne dabei solche Tools zu nutzen, die meist in ihrem Funktionsumfang eingeschränkt sind. Eine andere Möglichkeit ist der Abfrageservice von Toolserver: jira:DBQ
1) Die ältesten Dateien zuerst abrufen lassen (sorting: Oldest) - GalleryTool startet neu und löscht seinen gesammten Speicher 2) Den Kategoriefilter anwenden. 3) 1 min. warten 4) auf weiter klicken -- Rillke(q?) 12:07, 1 October 2012 (UTC)
Ich versuche halt jeweils das Maximum aus den bestehenden Tools herauszuholen und mache teilweise Verbesserungsvorschläge. In letzter Zeit habe ich mir pywikipedia etwas angeschaut. Deine Tools sind natürlich toll, auch wenn sie für meine Fragestellung nicht optimal geeignet sind.
Ich hab's so versucht. Nach dem 4. Schritt werden mir zwei Dateien (Cycloguanil.png, NDMA.png) angezeigt. --Leyo 13:40, 2 October 2012 (UTC)
Und wenn Du dann noch Show only the user's latest upload per file deaktivierst, hast Du alle oben gelisteten. Für Deine Fragestellungen sind wahrscheinlich die SQL dumps am besten geeignet. Kürzlich habe ich mir MySQL installiert (hat ein bisschen gezickt, weil er die Windows Firewall nicht konfigurieren konnte) aber damit sollte man solcherlei Fragen am schnellsten beantworten können. Nur die SQL Dumps muss ich mir noch laden; dafür brauche ich aber erst mal eine neue Festplatte und für die neue Festplatte einen neuen PC (der ist schon ~10J alt, ohne S-ATA :) Kommt aber bald… Und dann mit SSD. -- Rillke(q?) 14:07, 2 October 2012 (UTC)
Danke, übrigens für die Verbesserungsvorschläge. Die nehme ich immer gern auf. -- Rillke(q?) 14:10, 2 October 2012 (UTC)


Dafür braucht man u.U. noch nicht mal JavaScript
Für den Ajax-Request dann aber schon

Hi, I've noticed that you rewrote MediaWiki:Gadget-autodel.js in a more modern way and without the security flaws the original version had! Good job, but sadly there are still a lot of Wikis around that use the old version 1 with the security flaw you certainly noticed while rewriting (it auto submits delete forms if 'submitdelete=true' is in the URI). It would be a great thing if you could make that gadget import and translatable so that it could be used on those wikis as well (without having to copy and paste it and its dependencies). I would really appreciate that and would be happy to roll that new version out to the wikis linked in 1 - Hoo man (talk) 16:52, 2 October 2012 (UTC)

Hi, thanks for the compliments (although I don't think that I did a good job there), can we defer this until we have RL2#Shared gadgets? Or won't RL2#Shared gadgets be ready in between 1 year or not suitable? Also I am not convinced that this gadget is highly used at other wikis. Even at Commons only 2 active admins seem to use it. And it has lots of dependencies at Commons now (because I was too lazy implementing new stuff and because it was recommended using RL dependencies). One could attempt replacing them or telling RL that it should work in a different environment (e.g. manually registering the scripts if used outside Commons). Way too hackish and too much work…
Also my rewrite wasn't welcome by the two admins who used it because it slowed down deletion. But if you don't slow down (having a confirmation), you have the security vulnerable. Whether you use "special HTML elements" (a special class), attaching a delete link to possibly faked links or having an URI does not matter in this case. Of course you could prevent anon users creating such "special HTML elements" using an AbuseFilter. But this would require each wiki setting up such an AbuseFilter.
All in all, I am not convinced by fast deletion without confirmation; the gadgets should be removed if they aren't (heavily) used any more. I can understand that Mike wanted to be helpful writing these gadgets but now we have problems getting rid of this bad practise.
Though, one could improve the whole MediaWiki UI: When clicking a delete-link from the action-menu, JavaScript could create a form without having to load a new page next to the link or a speech-bubble-like "popup"; same for protecting pages, log-in, moving. I wonder why AjaxPatrolLinks was never integrated into core. It is simply stupid opening a new page that only says: "Marked as patrolled successfully". It's also stupid loading a new page (with all the overhead) when just jumping from one diff to the next diff instead of loading the diff only. -- Rillke(q?) 21:08, 2 October 2012 (UTC)
The easiest way to preserve the current behaviour at the wikis would be simply removing the auto-submit functionality. -- Rillke(q?) 20:18, 3 October 2012 (UTC)
We've found another solution now, see meta:MediaWiki:Gadget-autodel.js and I've rolled the new gadget out to all Wikimedia wikis that used the old version. About JavaScript/AJAX features in core: We are working on getting the software more usable using these techniques, for example the AJAX patrolling you suggested is already in Gerrit waiting for review (r26440). But as we're having very high requirements towards the coding styles/ practices and many of the features suggested by you are skin dependent, this will only improve slowly, as we have few JavaScript developers working on MediaWiki. Due to this, I would really like you to join us working on the MediaWiki core JavaScripts, see mediawikiwiki:How to become a MediaWiki hacker. - Hoo man (talk) 14:54, 16 October 2012 (UTC)
Using a cookie — also a solution. Thank you. I wonder whether we could convince WMF to pay for some more experienced JS devs, preferably those who have experience using MediaWiki. As for the skins, this is a house made problem. I think 3 skins could be at least dropped. I am really short in time and if I wouldn't be so busy here, I would consider joining your "JS-team". -- Rillke(q?) 16:01, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

Error question[edit]

Hi Rillke. Over the past week or so I've been getting a repeat error while closing DRs. The error comes when I use the [keep] or [del] buttons on the main DR listing (Commons:Deletion requests/2012/09/26 etc) and less often when I use the [close:kept] and [close:deleted] buttons. The error warning window says:

“API request returned code 12152 errorError code is”

I then have to reload the page and press the button again. I figured you would be the best person to ask about this. Thanks for your time. INeverCry 03:14, 3 October 2012 (UTC)

  2. I guess you are using MSIE or a browser built on WinInet/MSIE. Try using a different browser as an interim solution.
  3. If you encounter such errors, did the edit succeed?
  4. When I've time, I am going to switch DelReqHandler using MediaWiki:Gadget-libAPI.js which catches most of these errors.
Kind regards -- Rillke(q?) 20:32, 3 October 2012 (UTC)
Hi Rillke. Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking IE might have something to do with it. Perhaps I'll give Firefox a try.

Tonight's DRs were a bit of a hassle. I got quite a few errors (the edit doesn't succeed in these cases and the "working" message just stays there, and so the page has to be reloaded and the edit done again, which always works the second time), and the dels, keeps, and closes took much longer than I've ever had them take. INeverCry 06:08, 4 October 2012 (UTC)


Rainer, do you think you can help with User:Alex_brollo/Library.js. I made copy of it at User:Jarekt/CreatorCreator.js and I am planning to get more familiar with it, understand it better, add English comments, remove unused parts, and do some minor changes. Unfortunately, I do not know almost any JavaScript, so any help you can provide would be appreciated. --Jarekt (talk) 16:14, 10 October 2012 (UTC)

Jarek, we are far away from a release version; it needs a lot of work: It should not pollute the window-scope (which can have ugly impacts), it should instead expose one object, I must check all HTML injections, … then I will have a look at how it works and how one could optimize it. But as said, it's a long way and I am short on time. But one suggestion, though, you are admin and I suggest it might be better working on one script only. So you could ask User:Alex brollo whether you are allowed adding English comments. If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask me. -- Rillke(q?) 17:18, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
I agree with Rillke. I'm rewriting all the stuff by scratch, using a jQuery .data() container for any intermediate variable (with no global variable). Previous scripts are to be considered only as a "it can be done" test. The core function seems to be parseTemplate() (which converts a infobox-like template code into a comfortable "template object") now coupled with a rewriteTemplate(); both run very well, into any structured, infobox like template. I presume that these two basic function could be published to be reviewed and tested thoroughly. My new central, indipendent-from-project library is s:it:Utente:Alebot/getPageNew.js and I'm slowing adding deeply reviewed code there; the idea is, to load into data container any "js template object" created by any trick (I'm testing three completely different approaches: ajax query, bot generated JSON strings and url GET parameters), and to write routines which use such objects, indipendent from the way such data have beeen generated. As data container, scripts use a $(".ourDiv").data() container. I can't guess how much time will be needed to get practical results. First test are encouraging. Don't waste any time with present code - use it "as it is", sometimes it runs. ;-) --Alex_brollo Talk|Contrib 16:47, 29 October 2012 (UTC)

New messages for you at Wikipedia:Template talk:Clickable button[edit]

Vanischenu mTalk 15:05, 11 October 2012 (UTC)

Replied. -- Rillke(q?) 16:05, 11 October 2012 (UTC)

Alte Versionen löschen[edit]


die ersten drei:

--Berthold Werner (talk) 17:28, 12 October 2012 (UTC)

Erstmal Danke.

Hier kommen die Nächsten:

--Berthold Werner (talk) 15:12, 13 October 2012 (UTC)


die Nächsten:

-- Berthold Werner (talk) 11:03, 15 October 2012 (UTC)

Einmal den Jaguar übersehen: File:Jaguar XK 120 2012-09-01 13-38-41.JPG

Hallo, nun ein Rolls:

--Berthold Werner (talk) 12:57, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

Hallo, als nächstes ein AR Montreal

Ich hoffe du hast noch Luft?
--Berthold Werner (talk) 13:14, 17 October 2012 (UTC)

File:Kalyanov Pavel Vasilevich2.jpg[edit]

Dear Rilke,

Why do you suppose that this file has Missing license? It was published in the book by M. Boiovich in 1906, 106 years ago. So it is public domain, isn't it? With best regards, Hunu (talk) 11:47, 14 October 2012 (UTC)

Dear Hunu, I am not actually questioning that this file is suitable for Commons but ask you to add a a valid license template. This is required for each upload, see Commons:Essential information. Usually I try to guess the license but in this case it's an unknown photographer and I missed that 1906 was the publication date. Please simply remove the templates demanding for a license and use e.g. {{PD-anon-1923}}. Thanks in advance. -- Rillke(q?) 21:35, 14 October 2012 (UTC)
Oh, sorry. It is my mistake. I uploaded too much that day. Hunu (talk) 21:16, 15 October 2012 (UTC)

Filemove error[edit]

Hi Rillke. Can you take a look at this please: File:Etobicoke Creek Trail bridge at Centennial Park.JPG? This is the first time I've seen an error like this. Thanks for your time. INeverCry 02:23, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

Never mind. Looks like Materialscientist took care of this. INeverCry 06:25, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

Abuse filter for revision deletion[edit]

Hi Rillke,
I have noticed that you are the most active person answering questions and queries related to the abuse filter. I was wondering if it'd be possible to filter out those revision deletions that are being performed for revisions containing non-public identyfing or personal information (that's one of the reasons available in the drop-down menu when deleting revisions).

I am interested in getting a list of such deletions because, most of the time, those edits (and also edit summaries) should be suppressed instead of being simply deleted, as such information generally falls under the Wikimedia-wide oversight policy.

I checked the rules format page for the AbuseFilter extension, and it looks like it should be possible to create a rule for &action=delete, but I am unfortunately unable to create it myself. Would you mind looking into it? Thanks in advance, odder (talk) 18:50, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

Hi Tomasz, I'll look into this ASAP. Perhaps I'll prefer an AJAX generated list because Abusefilter rules are checked against each action and I can imagine that this may cause unnecessary server load, which isn't required if there are other solutions. Regards -- Rillke(q?) 18:16, 19 October 2012 (UTC)
✓  Done , partially: 1, 2 -- Rillke(q?) 18:06, 3 December 2012 (UTC)

Import a gadget from Spanish Wikipedia[edit]

Do you add this gadget? In Spanish Wikipedia we have this Gadget. It show the history and all specials pages (like contributions) as a numbered list. I like this gadget and I think that it is a good tool. So I request an administrator add it in Special:Preferences> Gadgets > Interface:. Or put this gadget like default changing it the dots. I like the two option (change). The description phrase is "Show the history and all specials pages as a numbered list." For questions, contact me.

— Preceding unsigned comment added by Vivaelcelta (talk • contribs) 11:13, 24. Okt. 2012‎ (UTC)
Hello Vivaelcelta, please
  1. do not multipost without notifying the parties that you did so: You contacted at least 3 admins.
  2. sign your postings with ~~~~ (see COM:TALK#Markup)
  3. show there is consensus to add this as a gadget or prove the usefulness by pointing me to usage numbers of/in the Spanish Wikipedia. I personally think it is useful but I am not sure whether this is enough for creating a gadget and I am not sure whether perhaps this should be default in MediaWiki instead of a gadget. You may directly ask other people: “What do you think about turning the unordered list (using bullets) in an ordered list at Special:Contributions?”.
Thanks in advance. -- Rillke(q?) 20:08, 24 October 2012 (UTC)
Sorry, for not singning. And, where do I ask it other people? In the Commons:Village pump? --Vivaelcelta {discussion  · contributions} 07:11, 25 October 2012 (UTC)
I put the proposals in the Village plump Can you give your opinion? --Vivaelcelta {discussion  · contributions} 17:52, 1 November 2012 (UTC)
I commented there. Would be nice if you would reply there. Thank you. -- Rillke(q?) 18:56, 13 November 2012 (UTC)


--Pierpao.lo (listening) 21:22, 29 October 2012 (UTC)

(ad. file renaming reasons) -- Rillke(q?) 18:26, 9 November 2012 (UTC)

DelReqHandler question[edit]

Hi Rillke. I've noticed an issue with DelReqHandler. With repeated mass DRs like Commons:Deletion requests/Files uploaded by Nakanosan, where a batch of files was nominated a month ago, and then another batch by the same uploader was nommed on Nov 2, I only get/got [keep] [del] buttons next to the images in the first group in the earlier mass DR. There are also no [kept] or [deleted] buttons on the newer DR either. I have to manually delete the second newer group using the little trash can on each image page, and I have to manually add the delh and delf tags to close it. I've had to manually delete quite a few conected mass DRs like this so far, so I figured I'd ask you about it. Thanks for your time. INeverCry 01:18, 9 November 2012 (UTC)

This is really an issue. I will consider this when rewriting DelReqHandler. Thanks. -- Rillke(q?) 18:58, 13 November 2012 (UTC)
Currently the problem may be the additional section header, after replacing it with ";" in front of it here the image delete tabs became available in the second group. --Denniss (talk) 23:31, 13 November 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for both responses. That looks like a good solution for now Denniss. INeverCry 23:50, 13 November 2012 (UTC)


I think you have a message at MediaWiki talk:VisualFileChange.js. Raoli ✉ (talk) 12:43, 9 November 2012 (UTC)

I know there is work, yes... -- Rillke(q?) 18:55, 13 November 2012 (UTC)


Denkst du es ist möglich einen zweiten Account zu erstellen und diesen zur Abstimmung vorzuschlagen? Ich wäre nämlich an den Rechten interessiert, würde aber gerne die Adminaktivität von der "normalen" trennen. --McZusatz (talk) 23:05, 10 November 2012 (UTC)

Schön das zu hören. Nutze bitte Special:CreateAccount während Du angemeldet bist (Das wird im Logbuch vermerkt) und verlinke beide Benutzerseiten. Danke. -- Rillke(q?) 23:39, 10 November 2012 (UTC)

Europeana voting[edit]

Hi Rillke, we selected 200 images from Category:GLAM images from Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 to go to public voting. I see you set up last years POTY. Would you be willing to setup something so we get people to vote here on this images? Multichill (talk) 21:00, 12 November 2012 (UTC)

If you give me at least 14 days after I know all parameters (eligibility, how many votes per user etc.) and accepted, we could give it a try. Maybe I can contact you in IRC since you are also UTC+2 it will be after 18:30. I am currently terribly busy so I already had to postpone other jobs. I really need 14d for testing and at least attempting to pull-in translation.
Also I didn't set up last year's POTY entirely myself. In fact Mono, Kalan and Miya did a lot of work. It will need a bright brain setting up the templates/headers/navigation menu so they are both easy to use, translate and look good (POTY looked horrible because Mono left us half the way). -- Rillke(q?) 21:36, 12 November 2012 (UTC)
Just an easy way to vote on 200 images. No requirements for the voters at all, Europeana just needs something.... Multichill (talk) 20:11, 15 November 2012 (UTC)
Hi, yes indeed. These are the 200 images. we agreed on letting the public vote on the best photos for our category, so these 200 images need to be able to be voted upon. I'd like it to be as open as possible, so does a voting limit mean that people have to login? Normaly i'd say 5 votes per user. Best Geer (Europeana) 10:33, 19 November 2012 (UTC)
Hello, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don't own login credentials. I will look at how one could realize a vote this weekend but I am concerned that inviting a large number of users who aren't logged in to Commons is not a good idea for various reasons. On top of that it is difficult to limit the number of votes per voter or per image if anonymous users are able vote. -- Rillke(q?) 21:46, 21 November 2012 (UTC)

Hi Rillke, thanks for your reply. I have been thinking about it, and I came up with the following sollution, I downloaded the 50 best picks and we are going to put these on Facebook, we will count the likes for the winner. Thank you so much for your dedication, lets discuss option for next year earlier on, thanks again! Geer 15:46, 23 November 2012

Hi, thanks for letting me know. A faceobook-like-vote is indeed more suitable for your needs because we always have trouble with some anon users here. Good luck. Best -- Rillke(q?) 16:19, 23 November 2012 (UTC)


{{YGM}} King of ♠ 08:14, 13 November 2012 (UTC)

Please have a look at bugzilla:19565. Thanks in advance. -- Rillke(q?) 18:04, 13 November 2012 (UTC)

POTY 2012 Committee[edit]

Since you were in last year Committee. I'm sending this mail as an invitation for you to join this year committee. My idea is to finish the list and galleries as soon as possible so we can start POTY in late January or early February 2013.

Best regards, Béria Lima msg 23:14, 13 November 2012 (UTC)

100% support for start in Janurary. I remember MZMcBride's post: «However, it's June and you're talking about a 2011 contest. That's already on the edge of silliness. I think mass-broadcasting this contest in June makes Wikimedia look stupid and disorganized.» -- Rillke(q?) 11:33, 14 November 2012 (UTC)

End of the translation of the gadgets[edit]

Thank you for the support and enthusiasm that you have shown each time. The Italian translation of descriptions of gadgets today is finished. I did use the system of commons for the gadgets on It.Wikiquote (you should see desc. in English or French) and I'm trying to propose on Wikidata too, for now, with disappointing results. As soon as more time I have also I translate the gadgets themselves in Italian. I see that the translation of "VisualFileChange" works. More to be translated? For me it is important to translate (localize) the things because otherwise could not be utilized. In Italy we are more ignorant than in other countrieson average and there are many people and Wikipedia users that when they see something only in English change page because the feel uncomfortable that is not in Italian. (OT) Do you like spaghetti? ;) Raoli ✉ (talk) 20:07, 20 November 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for your hard localization efforts to Wikimedia Commons. I also think that missing translation is one of the main reasons why people feel uncomfortable and quitting pages.
It's nice to see that you found the approach we developed for gadget descriptions at Commons useful. I am very busy so I can't join the Wikidata discussion.
-- Rillke(q?) 21:51, 21 November 2012 (UTC)[edit]

Es ist wahrscheinlich gewollt, dass templates (e.g. {{speedy}}) im TT-namespace ignoriert werden? --McZusatz (talk) 20:39, 22 November 2012 (UTC)

Hrhrhr :-) Danke. Ich war gerade dabei den Namensraum genauer unter die Lupe zu nehmen. Siehe auch COM:AN#Timed Media Handler - A lot of nonsense subtitles.
Wenn Du dann gern auf den unterbreiteten Vorschlag in der e-Mail zurückkommen möchtest, lass' es mich wissen. Sinnvoll wäre es auf jeden Fall. -- Rillke(q?) 20:53, 22 November 2012 (UTC)
Nächsten Dienstag Abend vielleicht. --McZusatz (talk) 20:56, 22 November 2012 (UTC)

Move request[edit]

Can you please move "IvanKlinko" to "User:IvanKlinko" and "Talk:IvanKlinko" to "User_talk:IvanKlinko"? "IvanKlinko" is a userpage, and "Talk:IvanKlinko" is a user talk page. I'm unable to do it myself. --Michaeldsuarez (talk) 15:14, 27 November 2012 (UTC)

After I checked the validity of the request, I will consider doing so. But generally you can request edits or moves you can't do yourself using {{edit request}}. -- Rillke(q?) 15:24, 27 November 2012 (UTC)
This should be done. -- Rillke(q?) 21:31, 27 November 2012 (UTC)
Thanks. --Michaeldsuarez (talk) 22:10, 27 November 2012 (UTC)

Gadget-UserMessages on Urdu Wikipedia[edit]

Hi Rillke, I have installed Gadget-UserMessages on urdu wikipedia, see. this added a option in toolbox but when we click it, hangs appearing Loading... plz help. --محمد شعیب (talk) 17:25, 30 November 2012 (UTC)

ur:میڈیاوکی:AxUserMsg.js requires ext.gadget.libUtil and ext.gadget.libJQuery which you have also to import. Cheers -- Rillke(q?) 18:05, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
Thanks. Form where should import? --محمد شعیب (talk) 18:33, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
From Commons: Look at Special:Gadgets for libUtil and libJQuery, import the script files linked from there and register the two gadgets as modules like I did at Commons: MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition#modules. Cheers -- Rillke(q?) 19:02, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
Thanks Rillke, I did as you said and thats working :) I have translated some massages in urdu here but translated messages dont apepear. Why? --محمد شعیب (talk) 20:06, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
In ur:MediaWiki:Gadget-UserMessages.js you see the line mw.loader.load( mw.config.get( 'wgServer' ) + mw.config.get( 'wgScript' ) + '?title=MediaWiki:AxUserMsg.js&action=raw&ctype=text/javascript&maxage=2419200&smaxage=2419200&dummy=7. Simply increment the dummy. The script file is heavily cached. -- Rillke(q?) 20:18, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
dont understand brother :( this line exists. so what should we do? محمد شعیب (talk) 20:39, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
You have to know that your browser cached the AxUserMsg.js-file for 28 days. When you update dummy=7 to dummy=8, RL will update the script cache for the gadget within 2 minutes and the new gadget code will load the latest version of the AxUserMsg.js-file. -- Rillke(q?) 20:47, 30 November 2012 (UTC)

Ohh! Many thanks :) And in commons we see in toolbox option of SUBPAGES, how to add this? محمد شعیب (talk) 20:53, 30 November 2012 (UTC)

MediaWiki:Common.js - search for subPagesLink. I am sure you find a way to omit JSConfig, which is currently non-functional. -- Rillke(q?) 21:06, 30 November 2012 (UTC)

File:Arms of Philip II of Spain as Monarch of Milan (1554-1558).svg Licence tag[edit]

It's done, Thanks you--Heralder (talk) 18:22, 30 November 2012 (UTC)

Thank you. -- Rillke(q?) 18:23, 30 November 2012 (UTC)

File move löst CommonsDelinker mehrfach aus[edit]

hier und davor auch schon mal. --McZusatz (talk) 19:50, 30 November 2012 (UTC)

Danke, ja da gibt es noch einen Bug: Wenn das Script einen Fehler feststellt, wird der Delinker beauftragt, wenn es dann beim Ersetzen noch einen Fehler feststellt, dann wird er noch mal beauftragt, falls es dazu noch genug Zeit hat. -- Rillke(q?) 19:57, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
Ich weiß nicht wie gravierend die "Fehler" sind, wenn es denn überhaupt welche sind, aber aufgefallen ist mir ausserdem noch:
  • In machen Wikis müssen die Änderungen gesichtet werden, falls man das nicht automatisch selber macht. Ist eventuell auch gut so...
  • In manchen Wikis bin ich eingeloggt, kann aber keine Ersetzungen druchführen. Ist auch nicht schlimm, denn der Delinker läuft wieder.
  • Auf wurden einmal drei Seiten ersetzt, aber die vierte nicht. Lag aber eventuell an der Größe (58,176 bytes)...
--McZusatz (talk) 20:05, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
Danke für die ausführliche Testung.
  • Nachsichten und als kontrolliert markieren: Ja, leider. Das lässt sich auch nicht ändern.
  • Eingeloggt und kann Ersetzungen durchführen: Das passiert häufig wenn diese dummen Captcha-Abfragen kommen. Das kann ich auch nicht ändern; es ist schlechtweg unzumutbar Commons Filemovers oder Admins irgendwelche Captchas lösen zu lassen.
  • Artikel gesperrt, Bearbeitungskonflikt, Title blacklist, Abuse filter, Captcha, Timeout, … da gibt kann ich mir viele Gründe vorstellen. Versuchen darum herum zu arbeiten ist aber reine Zeitverschwendung, weil jedes Wiki andere Regeln hat. Auf Commons wird bei geschützten Seiten theoretisch automatisch ein {{edit request}} generiert.
  • Gestern hatte ich einen 300 KB “Artikel” mit 260 “nowiki”s Alles was in nowiki, source, Kommentaren u.ä. steht wird vor dem Ersetzen vor Bearbeitung geschützt und danach wieder zusammengebastelt. Da wurde ich 5 mal gefragt, ob ich ein nicht antwortendes Script weiter ausführen wolle. 5 mal ja geklickt und dann hat er es ersetzt aber das Ergebnis war natürlich ein Server-Timeout, so dass dann doch noch eine Anfrage zum CommonsDelinker raus ging. Also nicht wundern, wenn die CPU Auslastung mal sprunghaft ansteigt: Dann hast Du eine Liste, die in viele Teile zerlegt werden muss.
-- Rillke(q?) 21:04, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
Aber ersetzt wurden die noch immer nicht, obwohl es so sein sollte.
Oder hält der Toolserver gerade Winterschlaf? --McZusatz (talk) 10:49, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
Falls es daran liegt, dass der Bot nur nach einer bestimmten Anzahl anspringt, sollte man die evtl. runter setzen. --McZusatz (talk) 10:51, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
Hallo McZusatz, schön, dass mal einer die Arbeit des CommonsDelinker (CD) und CommonsDelinkerHelper (CDH) untersucht. Der CDH reiht die Aufträge meines Wissens nur in eine Datenbank ein. CommonsDelinker liest die Datenbank aus und führt die Ersetzungen unter Beachtung von Serverkapazitäten und einer maximalen Bearbeitungsrate durch.
Der Auftrag ging am 30. November 2012, 21:58 in der/die Datenbank ein und nach tools:~delinker/delinker.txt ist um 22:17 des gleichen Tages eine Ausnahme im Hauptthread des Delinkers aufgetreten: An exception occured in the main thread! woraufhin er sich abgeschaltet hat: [2012-11-30 22:17:00] Stopping CommonsDelinker. Vermutlich ist er zu diesem Zeitpunkt noch gar nicht zum Ersetzen gekommen. -- Rillke(q?) 12:13, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
Ok, und was müsste man machen, damit der wieder läuft? --McZusatz (talk) 12:27, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
Den Betreiber wechseln, patches schreiben, …. Alles wofür ich und viele andere weder Zeit noch Ahnung haben. Siehe User talk:Siebrand#CommonsDelinker don't replace Files after moving -- Rillke(q?) 19:21, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
Super, alles läuft anscheinend wieder! Woran lag's und wem darf ich danken, falls du das weißt?
Leider sind die oben verlinkten Dateien nicht ersetzt worden. (Das gilt dann wahrscheinlich für die meisten Dateien ab 30. November)... Ist es sinnvoll all diese Dateien nochmal der ToDo liste des ComDel hinzuzufügen? --McZusatz (talk) 09:05, 17 December 2012 (UTC)
Nö. Weiß ich nicht. Die halten sich immer sehr bedeckt. Wenn Du nicht gleich alle auf einmal draufsetzt und beobachtest, ob die draufgesetzten auch ersetzt werden (so nach 6h), bevor Du die nächste Ladung dazupackst, ist das sicher nützlich. Danke! -- Rillke(q?) 01:07, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
Glücklicherweise hat ComDel anscheinend nur die beiden requests kurz vor und kurz nach dem Kurzschluss übersehen. Die zehn betroffenen Dateien sind allerdings noch nicht ersetzt. Ich warte noch 5 Studen und melde mich dann wieder. --McZusatz (talk) 14:38, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
Bis auf Special:GlobalUsage/Ug18.gif wurde alles ersetzt. --McZusatz (talk) 16:04, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
Das habe ich noch mit deinem Skript erledigt. Also ✓  Done . --McZusatz (talk) 16:19, 18 December 2012 (UTC)

Replacing files[edit]

Hi, the new feature "Try to replace usage immediately using your user account" in duplicate images pop-up window is just plain awesome. I am wondering if you could do that for {{SVG available}} template as well. For example, File:Pk)punjab.gif has been superseded by an SVG file but it is a tedious job to replace each of its usage with the SVG equivalent. Do you think you can contribute a script which can do the replacements in {{SVG available}}, {{Superseded}} and other needed templates? --Sreejith K (talk) 11:33, 2 December 2012 (UTC)

I can offer an interim immediate solution for a JavaScript console (e.g. Firebug or JavaScript environment + Web-console in Firefox):
// Executing this will replace File:oldFileName.png with File:newFileName.svg
// You must execute it while being at a Commons page where all the usual JS runs (i.e. not action=render or action=raw).
// You must be globally signed-in.
mw.loader.using('ext.gadget.GlobalReplace', function() {

    "a short reason linking to a commons policy (commons internal link like [[COM:FR|File renamed]] works)", 
    "Full explanation."
     .fail(function(r) { console.log('FAIL', r) })
     .done(function(r) { console.log('DONE', r) })
     .progress(function(r) { console.log('PROGR', r) });

I often have 2 browser instances running or at least 2 browser windows; one with Firebug open [for development or batch tasks], the other one for browsing and reading [=the usual stuff].
This, of course will automatically ask CommonsDelinker if it finds that is not doable under your user account (>29 usages, error while editing pages in foreign wikis) but in most cases it works well.
Kind regards -- Rillke(q?) 20:45, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
Looks awesome. I ran the script in firebug and it worked perfectly. I would love to see this integrated with the templates sooner or later. But no hurries now that I have the script locally. --Sreejith K (talk) 19:08, 3 December 2012 (UTC)

Ist es möglich die Zahl auf mehr als 30 zu erhöhen? Da CommDel zur Zeit nicht läuft, werden viele Dateien aus Category:Media requiring renaming nicht ersetzt. --McZusatz (talk) 15:08, 11 December 2012 (UTC)

Siehe MediaWiki:Gadget-GlobalReplace.js. var usageThreshold = 30; 49 wäre die Obergrenze. Das kann aber schon kritisch werden, weil dann möglicherweise Dialoge über ein nicht reagierende Script auf unserer Site erscheint und die Spanische Wikipedia hat edit-rate-limits u.s.w. Natürlich könnte man das mit einigen codierungsanstrengungen umgehen/ handhaben, aber ich schrieb es weniger als Ersatz, sondern als Entlastung für den CommonsDelinker – und natürlich auch, um die Nutzung sofort zu ersetzen, wenn dies nicht zu lange dauert. -- Rillke(q?) 21:21, 11 December 2012 (UTC)

File:City Chambers, Glasgow, Scotland.jpg & File:Skyline of Aberdeen, Scotland, 2010.jpg[edit]

  • Dear Admin Rillke,

If you can, please give the Geograph template for these two images. They have been in the flickr unsourced images catalogue for 1 week. Thank You, --Leoboudv (talk) 02:53, 3 December 2012 (UTC)

✓  Done . Hi Leoboudv, has a nice "Find out how to reuse this image" from where you can copy the whole file description. Kind regards -- Rillke(q?) 18:38, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
  • Thank You for your help. Kind Regards, --Leoboudv (talk) 19:54, 3 December 2012 (UTC)

Please subscribe[edit]

Rillke/Discuss/2012, thank you for signing up on the 2012 POTY committee. Please take a moment to verify that you are subscribed to the Commons-POTY list. Important communication about the contest will occur via email and our IRC channel. For more information, please visit our committee info page. Thanks, theMONO 19:16, 5 December 2012 (UTC)

Thanks, I got the last messages. -- Rillke(q?) 21:03, 5 December 2012 (UTC)

I believe File:Naruto ANBU root seal tongue.svg is of MIME type PNG[edit]

This image that you have renamed today is a ".png" file and not a ".svg". I would have renamed it by myself but I don't know how. Could you restore it? Thanks.--Firefox 23 (talk) 17:40, 6 December 2012 (UTC)

First: I did not rename this file.
On 10:56, 20 March 2010, it was overwritten by Sabunero with a SVG file. So the current version is a SVG file. Do you need the old PNG file for something? -- Rillke(q?) 17:58, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
Sorry, but in you did it, so i misunderstood. Anyway, try to open it in fullscreen and you will see what happens. Ps: if you also try to zoom on it you will see it isn't an .svg. --Firefox 23 (talk) 19:10, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
Thats weired. My firefox tells me that this file is PNG as well but it definitively is not. Just look at the source code with any text editor. --McZusatz (talk) 19:36, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
Well, i've just tried to upload a new version but nothing has changed.. sincerely i don't know.--Firefox 23 (talk) 12:41, 7 December 2012 (UTC)
But MediaWiki's detection is correct.
gives the following response headers:

Accept-Ranges   bytes
Access-Control-Allow-Orig...    *
Connection      keep-alive
Content-Length  2549
Content-Type    image/svg+xml
Date    Fri, 07 Dec 2012 12:54:54 GMT
Etag    d???ea24f???6625bef96ff854fa8???
Last-Modified   Fri, 07 Dec 2012 12:40:24 GMT
Server  nginx/1.1.19
Via     1.1 (squid/2.7.STABLE9), 1.0 (squid/2.7.STABLE9), 1.0 (squid/2.7.STABLE9)
X-Cache MISS from, MISS from, MISS from
X-Cache-Lookup  MISS from, MISS from, MISS from
X-Object-Meta-Sha1base36        ??????9rtzruwz18hnyogb82dqmjdy6
X-Timestamp     1354884???.11???

where ??? is redacted.

This implies that the server does it's job correctly (note the Content-Type image/svg+xml)

BTW, using this method, we could import files from other wikis right now! (Downloading and uploading from client side involved but at least one does not have to save it somewhere and JavaScript does all the work.) -- Rillke(q?) 13:01, 7 December 2012 (UTC)
All is right now and tht image can be seen, maybe was it server's fault? Anyway sorry for making you waste your time and thank you all!--Firefox 23 (talk) 15:54, 7 December 2012 (UTC)

Tech-maintenance: Adjusting file extension to MIME format[edit]

Du lässt den Skript gerade laufen? Falls ja, sind dann alle meine Dateiverschiebungen korrekt ersetzt? In Zukunft geht das ja dann automatisch mit Try to replace usage immediately using your user account automatisch. --McZusatz (talk) 18:20, 6 December 2012 (UTC)

Ich hatte noch eine Liste mit alten Aufträgen, die der CommonsDelinker nicht mochte, weil es .X→.SVG war. Diese habe ich weitestgehend ersetzt. Nun bin ich Dein Move-Log noch mal durchgegangen und habe erneut einen Stapel erstellt, der momentan aber nicht vom CommonsDelinker verarbeitet werden kann, weil er down ist.
Theoretisch sollte das mit Try to replace usage immediately using your user account ab sofort funktionieren; allerdings nur, wenn die Nutzung <30 ist. Da der CommonsDelinker momentan nicht funktioniert, wäre es schön, wenn Du sehr intensiv verwendete Dateien nicht verschieben würdest. -- Rillke(q?) 19:02, 6 December 2012 (UTC)
Die zu ersetzenden Dateien, die ich nach meinem überstehenden Beitrag gesammelt habe, sind dem Delinker zugeführt worden bzw. über das Script ersetzt worden. Die Dateien von User:Dispenser/Wrong Extension, bei denen 0 Konflikte gelistet waren und bei denen der Austausch der Dateinamenserweiterung zu keinem Konflikt führte, wurden verschoben. -- Rillke(q?) 01:00, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
Ok scheint alles ok gelaufen zu sein, danke. Ein paar Fehler gab es, aber die hast du glaube ich auch schon alle gefunden und revertiert. --McZusatz (talk) 11:44, 18 December 2012 (UTC)

Small fix for renaming script?[edit]

Hello Rillke, I don't know if my post here is right place.. but I wanted to ask for something. I'm filemover here on Wikimedia Commons and reguarly move files. Recently there was some code with which you could replace the usage crosswiki added. In my opinion a great addition. If images gets replaced on a wiki (for example here) there's a red link to a nonexistent page called COM:FR. On some wikis this page exists, but on most wikis not. I wanted to ask if that could be changed, so it will link to the commons page instead of nonexistent page. Regards, --Wiki13 13:49, 8 December 2012 (UTC)

Indeed, the links in the full reason were not checked. This is now fixed and need a few hours until all file movers have it. -- Rillke(q?) 22:17, 9 December 2012 (UTC)

Renaming and replacing global usage[edit]

Hi Rillke, I've renamed the logo of Wikivoyage this morning [7] without using your script, However with the Delinker down, it breaks a lot of pages. By any chance, do you have an idea of what should I do to fix it ? --PierreSelim (talk) 09:38, 10 December 2012 (UTC)

I managed to replace some of the usage but not all. It will also take some time until all pages that used the logo through a template will disappear at Special:GlobalUsage/Travel Guide Logo - Proposal Yiyi.svg and appear there. So perhaps uploading the file under File:Wikivoyage-logo.svg (direct link for uploading // direct link for editing the file description page // please upload first, then replace the redirect) and adding the original upload log and the whole file description from the old file (File:Travel Guide Logo - Proposal Yiyi.svg). -- Rillke(q?) 12:51, 11 December 2012 (UTC)

Commons:Administrators' noticeboard/Vandalism#Template:Building address[edit]

Hallo Rillke, könntest du dich bitte darum kümmern. Es ist dringend. Vielen Dank im voraus!--FAEP (talk) 00:07, 14 December 2012 (UTC)

Hab's erst heute gesehen. Sorry. Andere haben es schon erledigt. -- Rillke(q?) 12:10, 14 December 2012 (UTC)

Korean info[edit]

Hi, you may like to know that 텅스텐 카바이드 is simply Korean for Tungsten carbide. Thanks -- (talk) 20:02, 17 December 2012 (UTC)

Hi Fæ, do you feel or someone else stalked/endangered by this user? I saw his contributions and they look like "marking targets" what I am really concerned about. Otherwise it is a case for COM:RFCU. Feel endorsed to fill a request there and notify me if you did so. -- Rillke(q?) 20:43, 17 December 2012 (UTC)
I am already on the shitlist of some rather nasty people, I'm not mad. Yes I do feel endangered by this person and several others, that is precisely why I went to the police earlier this year, after another body were less than helpful or effective. Thanks -- (talk) 21:17, 17 December 2012 (UTC)
I'm notifying you both of this request [8], please endorse it there. -- Cirt (talk) 21:18, 17 December 2012 (UTC)
Rillke, can you please comment with your endorsement as you stated, above, at Commons:Requests_for_checkuser/Case/TungstenCarbide? Thank you, -- Cirt (talk) 21:29, 17 December 2012 (UTC)

Block request[edit]

Please see this, can you please block this guy? -- Cirt (talk) 21:12, 17 December 2012 (UTC)

See also [[9]]. -- Cirt (talk) 21:17, 17 December 2012 (UTC)
Done by Jim (CU). As you said yourself it was a one-time-one-purpose account. So the risk that the user created a sock was higher than that he would edit under this account again. -- Rillke(q?) 10:58, 18 December 2012 (UTC)

Rückgängigmachung Canadian Ranger[edit]

Hallo Rainer vielleicht könntest du dir mal als admin Candian Ranger ansehen, zum wiederholten male wurde eine Ergänzung mit einer fadenscheinigen Begründung rückgängig gemacht. vielleicht könntest du da mal intervenieren danke

— Preceding unsigned comment added by Matthias Hake (talk • contribs) 09:26, 18. Dez. 2012‎ (UTC)
Hallo Matthias, es wäre noch extrem hilfreich, wenn Du Deine Diskussionsbeiträge mit ~~~~ beenden würdest und mir einen Link zum Subjekt geben könntest. Meintest Du die Canadian Rangers oder das Schiff? Und was genau? Es gibt eine Kategorie dieses Namens: Category:Canadian Rangers. Aber dort wurden kürzlich keine Änderungen vorgenommen. Ob Dateien hinzugefügt oder entfernt wurden sehe ich dort jedoch nicht. Deshalb die Bitte. Danke. -- Rillke(q?) 11:07, 18 December 2012 (UTC)


Curious why you are renaming so many files from jpg to png; seems that png files are larger and not always suitable for images? Can you enlighten me on why this is occurring? Montanabw (talk) 17:13, 18 December 2012 (UTC)

Please have a look at Commons:Bots/Work_requests#Fix_file_extensions. --McZusatz (talk) 17:30, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
Indeed, I was renaming the files. I did not convert them. MediaWiki had issues detecting the correct file format (MIME type) and now this has improved but some files (>2000) had wrong file extensions. When you download and e.g. attempt to e-Mail such a file with wrong file extensions some "spam filter" will delete your mail or the file is opened with the wrong program (just some of the reasons why it's bad having trojan horses). You have to ask the person who uploaded the image why they choose png format when saving and then uploaded them with a jpg file extension. -- Rillke(q?) 18:50, 18 December 2012 (UTC)

Please View My Response on Commons Admin Noticeboard[edit]

Please consider the response that I posted to the Commons: Administrators Noticeboard (item #24). I welcome your comments at user page: Duane_Hurst or (talk). --Duane R Hurst 04:08, 19 December 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for joining the discussion. I've replied there. I am sure we find a solution. -- Rillke(q?) 09:55, 19 December 2012 (UTC)

Simply the usual![edit]

Thanks for the work and the sensible thoughtful comments :) --Herby talk thyme 09:43, 19 December 2012 (UTC)

Moving files: When and how-to[edit]

Hi. I wish to apologize for my past mistakes which increased the workload of the admins in deleting my file moves. Yesterday, I instinctively MOVED THIS PAGE and repeated the same mistake, but it's for the last time. Earlier today, I invested some serious time to comprehend instructions regarding "Move & rename", and the Commons Delinker, and finally it dawned on me why in the past I was getting cryptic messages about using the delinker, when I had nothing to de-link since my moves were not linked. Now, I must ask you for this last time to remove this misspelled page. File:PSM V63 D558 Marcone magnetic receiver.png. Again, sorry. — Ineuw 03:25, 20 December 2012 (UTC)

You don't have to apologize. You should have been told about moving files when permission was granted to you but that didn't take place. I'll care for the redirect tomorrow. -- Rillke(q?) 01:29, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
After studying the issue again - and made some mistakes again, I realized that since I am both the uploader and the file mover, this further complicates the issue.
So, for reasons of sanity (yours and mine), I composed the following list of questions to understand the process and what I was doing wrong. I did this in a way to save you time by asking you to reply true/false etc. at your leisure, and this will satisfy my thirst for knowledge.
  • The purpose of 'speedy delete' is for other than deleting unnecessary redirects of moved images. True or false?
  • An admin needs to verify the validity of the move process and perform the deletion of the leftover redirect. True or false?
  • As a file mover, I should not move my own images. True or false?
  • The 'Move file and replace all usage', the 'Decline request', and the 'Manual move' buttons of the {{rename}} template are accessible only to file movers, but not to other users. True or false?
  • Global de-linking is a separate process that the file mover has to request after the move. True or false?
Thanks for your patience. — Ineuw 11:22, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
  • Although some of my fellow admins may disagree, speedy-delete is not for redirects but for spam, out-of-scope pages etc. More advice about when a redirect should be deleted or not is at m:Don't delete redirects. It is hard to assess whether a redirect is "unnecessary". Of course, if the file was just uploaded a few minutes ago, one could assume that it is "unnecessary". But even in this case, it is useful having the redirect: When you go to your upload log you could see which files were actually deleted and which of them were moved.
  • Admins should, in theory, complying with their role enforcing policies, verify the validity of the move process when adding requests from User:CommonsDelinker/commands/filemovers to User:CommonsDelinker/commands and when deleting redirects from moved files. But often there is insufficient time to do so (at Commons).
  • False. You are allowed moving the files you uploaded. But please apply common sense and don't do it just because you're allowed to, especially when you see that some complicated templates make use of a set of files [just think about BSIcons, Maps].
  • True (also available to admins). At least this is the expected behaviour.
  • This depends on the method you use. In the manual instructions, there is a link for "quick-adding", if you use Move & Replace (with the silver coloured dialog and AJAX [no new page is loaded]) or the link on top of the green background, everything should be done for you. If the script encountered an error, it will tell you about the error, you can report it and then check your contributions whether everything was done. When you decide using the "manual method", you have to care for the file usage being globally updated.
It would be great if you could start a help-page about this and explain it in a way everyone is able to understand. Thank you! -- Rillke(q?) 14:49, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the reply and your confidence. I wish to contribute to the Help section regarding the 'Move and rename' process in a few days, once the differences between my focus and general need become clear.
In my context, the redirects should not be saved. I write this because, with the exception of a couple of files, my 'moves' were to correct spelling errors and improve descriptions of my uploads - all of which are part of Wikisource texts. I uploaded them months in advance and more than 50% are not linked. As far as I know, only a few of my uploaded images are used elsewhere. So, you have no reason to fear that I will abuse the 'rename' process. P.S: I will post here any additional questions I may have. — Ineuw 19:44, 21 December 2012 (UTC)


Why does {{PermissionOTRS}} show up at Category:Items missing OTRS ticket ID along with other templates? Can you fix them please? --Sreejith K (talk) 23:45, 20 December 2012 (UTC)

This should be fixed. -- Rillke(q?) 01:27, 21 December 2012 (UTC)


Hi Rillke. I have been using your VisualFileChange tool extensively to categorize art files based on a bunch of regexes (I'm up to 9 regexes, not all expected to match for any given file). I capture the date parameter (which is formatted 50 different ways), transform it and apply a new category to the end of the categories group. First I use the "pre-select" to remove files that already have such a category. Sometimes I use the Catscan tool to develop a file list so I can work with more files at once. If you are interested in the details, see the top of my user page or recent edit history.

I am writing because I thought you might want to know that someone has successfully used all the complicated regex search/replace features of this tool to perform thousands of edits. For people that know how to use it, it is very powerful. I was thinking that a "requests" page for VFC might be useful, where people that have a batch task idea but don't know how to do advanced/conditional replacements could ask others to create a profile for them, etc. Boo-Boo Baroo (talk) 12:30, 21 December 2012 (UTC)

Hi Boo-Boo Baroo, thanks for your feedback and trust in VisualFileChange. I read your bug report and I know there are a few more bugs around profiles. I regret the inconvenience.
I also read your user page and I know, one can do thousands of edits at Commons without any feedback.
As for your suggestion creating a help-forum for VFC, if you believe in it, don't hesitate to create it and think about where to announce it (Commons is multilingual and it may be difficult to reach the users you actually want to tell your message). If you need administrative help there, let me know. -- Rillke(q?) 08:20, 24 December 2012 (UTC)
BTW, feel free to contribute to Help:VisualFileChange.js/samples. -- Rillke(q?) 08:24, 24 December 2012 (UTC)

File:Zh-yue-Steve Jobs.oga[edit]

Could you please explain this to me? Thank you and wish you a merry Christmast and the best new year. Regards--Morning (talk) 10:58, 23 December 2012 (UTC)

Done. -- Rillke(q?) 08:20, 24 December 2012 (UTC)

POTY 2012 Committee IRC Meeting[edit]

Hi, a POTY Committee IRC meeting will be held on Friday, December 28, 2012 around 8:00 AM PST. You can convert that time easily to your locale at this page

This date was selected because the largest number of people indicated that they would be available. The meeting is on Freenode IRC channel #wikimedia-commons-poty (webchat).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, Mono 02:05, 24 December 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for the messages. Much appreciated. -- Rillke(q?) 22:40, 25 December 2012 (UTC)

Replacing files ... contd.[edit]

Continuing the talk at #Replacing files before, I tried to leverage AjaxQuickDelete to do a file replacement. You can see my try at User:Sreejithk2000/vector.js. Although this worked in some of the pages I tried, the success ratio is quite low. I am not sure whether overloading AjaxQuickDelete is even supported. Can you please help? --Sreejith K (talk) 06:37, 24 December 2012 (UTC)

The success rate depends on various factors. If the file was in use at en.wp or less than 8 times in use at es.wp, it usually works. But e.g. pt.wp always asks for solving CAPTCHA (look at pt:Especial:Contribuições/Sreejithk2000 — 0 replacements), es.wp has a ratelimit of 8/min (for me), ru.wp makes extensive use of the title blacklist, and at some other wikis, I hit abuse filter (ofen when editing pages in user namespace) …
Generally, you can add new properties and functions to AjaxQuickDelete (like to any other JS-Object) but if something changes in the script, you have to be careful.
When I used it success ratio was around 40%. What is yours? -- Rillke(q?) 08:20, 24 December 2012 (UTC)
To me AjaxQuickDelete has been working almost every time I used it. I never had problems. But adding a function to it from my vector.js has not shown a stable behavior. For exampele, I want to replace the usages of File:4,4'-Bipyridin.png with File:4,4'-Bipyridin.svg, but my vector.js is failing to do it. But if I write mw.loader.using('ext.gadget.GlobalReplace', function() { mw.libs.globalReplace(oldFileName, newFileName, "", ""), it works perfectly. I am pretty sure my vector.js has problems, but I am not able to figure that out. --Sreejith K (talk) 05:21, 25 December 2012 (UTC)
What in particular is the problem - When you click the link Just replace nothing happens? Then your script is loaded before AjaxQuickDelete and we have to wait for that. Just let me know if this is the case and I'll add the dependency to your script. -- Rillke(q?) 22:38, 25 December 2012 (UTC)
There is a dependency problem in Chrome where it says "Uncaught TypeError: Object # has no method 'ReplaceWithoutMoving'" when I click Just replace. But it works without a java script error in Firefox. I get the prompt and when I submit, it goes till Replacing usage - 67% and then the page reloads. Even in firebug, I get the same results.--Sreejith K (talk) 03:18, 26 December 2012 (UTC)
Update: In this case, it looks like the update to is failing. Let me try if I can come up with a different example. --Sreejith K (talk) 03:22, 26 December 2012 (UTC)
Update2: I manually replaced few occurrences. Even now the script fails. --Sreejith K (talk) 03:28, 26 December 2012 (UTC)
Created another version because I could not get this working. See User:Sreejithk2000/JustReplace.js. I hope there are no critical flaws in this script. The results for it has so far been satisfactory. --Sreejith K (talk) 15:39, 30 December 2012 (UTC)

Italics and simple category redirects, #REDIRECT[edit]

Here is some discussion that might be of interest:


--Timeshifter (talk) 12:33, 28 December 2012 (UTC)

Those Commons discussions have been moved and combined here:
Commons:Requests for comment/Hard category redirects REDIRECT
See also: MediaWiki talk:Gadget-HotCat.js#Maybe put redirects in italics --Timeshifter (talk) 12:40, 2 January 2013 (UTC)

VFC delete – "Was nun?"-Dialog[edit]

Ist mir gerade eingefallen: Falls es nicht allzu aufwendig ist, könntest du das

 * Prüfe Deine Benutzerbeiträge
 * Diese Seite neu laden

bei Löschungen in

 * Zeige das Löschlogbuch
 * Diese Seite neu laden

ändern. --McZusatz (talk) 11:45, 29 December 2012 (UTC)

Das sollte mit v. erledigt sein. -- Rillke(q?) 19:02, 29 December 2012 (UTC)
Danke, klappt super. --McZusatz (talk) 15:25, 30 December 2012 (UTC)

{{Derivative}} out of use[edit]

The option of marking files with "Copyvio derivative" is malfunctioning since the {{Derivative}} has been deleted. I guess the regular {{copyvio}} needs to be used. {{Derivativenote}} does still work, which I like since there is often a lot of confusion about derivative works. --Vera (talk) 12:02, 29 December 2012 (UTC)

I see that I have to add {{Scriptuse}} to all of the template's talk pages. Hopefully {{Scriptuse}} itself won't be deleted because it's misspelled some day :P -- Rillke(q?) 18:36, 29 December 2012 (UTC)
I've changed VisualFileChange accordingly. Version contains this fix. Thanks for the message. -- Rillke(q?) 19:04, 29 December 2012 (UTC)

Message tied up in Ribbon.jpg Hello, Rillke/Discuss/2012. You have new messages at MediaWiki talk:Gadget-Stockphoto.js#Further hint on how to use this in a wiki.
You may remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Asturianu | Беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | Български | বাংলা | Català | Čeština | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | English | Español | Suomi | Français | Galego | हिन्दी | Magyar | Italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | Македонски | മലയാളം | Plattdüütsch | Nederlands | Português | Română | Русский | Slovenščina | Svenska | Türkçe | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/−

--Flominator (talk) 21:21, 29 December 2012 (UTC)

POTY 2012[edit]

Hi, Rillke! I want to translate POTY 2012 into Ukrainian. What and how I do?

--Nickispeaki (talk) 10:18, 30 December 2012 (UTC)

I see you asked a similar question at Commons talk:Picture of the Year/2012#Please, check this.
Can you continue translating Template:POTY2012/uk? The text after |galleryheader still needs to be done.
It would be great if you could translate MediaWiki talk:EnhancedPOTY.js/AppPreload and put this translation to MediaWiki talk:EnhancedPOTY.js/uk.js. Or simply Click this link and follow the instructions. Thanks for your great help with translation of this year's POTY. Best -- Rillke(q?) 15:53, 5 January 2013 (UTC)


With thanks for your support and the pleasant co-operation in the past year, I wish you all the best in the new year! --Túrelio (talk) 20:15, 31 December 2012 (UTC)

Hallo Túrelio, I wünsche Dir auch alles Gute im neuen Jahr. Bleib' gesund, freundlich und fleißig ;-) Danke für all Deine Hilfe! -- Rillke(q?) 15:53, 5 January 2013 (UTC)

Random option for GallerySlideshow.js[edit]

Hi Rillke,
I am not sure whether this is actually a correct question, but do you think you could use a bit of your JavaScript magic and add a "random" option for GallerySlideshow.js? As far as I see now, the tool shows the images in a certain (alphabetical?) order, and I would personally love to have the random option set up to show, for example, pictures from Category:Quality images from Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 randomised — and I am sure that plenty of other people would also appreciate having that possibility. Please let me know whether this would actually be doable :-) Thanks in advance, and have a happy New Year! odder (talk) 14:31, 1 January 2013 (UTC)

The API does not output random results but always sorted by sortkey (for categories) or by added-to-category-date. Of course we could do a bit randomizing after receiving the result. I put this at MediaWiki talk:GallerySlideshow.js#Known Bugs & Feature requests. HNY -- Rillke(q?) 15:59, 5 January 2013 (UTC)


I undid you edit. Please test your edits and get community consensus before you break something. Thank you, Multichill (talk) 22:04, 3 January 2013 (UTC)

  • I don't see revert by Multichill but I reverted your edit myself - it broke UploadWizard link for other languages' interfaces, for example, Russian rubin16 (talk) 09:48, 4 January 2013 (UTC)

Maarten, I don't need community consensus to undo a change that was never justified. Read the MediaWiki manual, please:
And I am sure you are were aware of this request: MediaWiki talk:Sidebar#Changing one link text. Also, please be specific. Messages like "you broke something" and "I undid your change", while you're undoing a one year old change are particularly unhelpful. I could have asked at COM:VP of course but I asked the one who changed that link text (since there also was not consensus to change that link text; it was purely for technical reasons) to join the discussion; never got a reply.
I forgot about the gadget that changes the link and that the IDs in the sidebar reflect the MediaWiki messages used. My apologies for all who are confused now and had to click twice to upload using the Wizard.
Was this the only issue you experienced? I modified the gadget and would like to use the proper system message for the upload link text again. Thank you. -- Rillke(q?) 15:35, 5 January 2013 (UTC)

Error message[edit]

Hi Rillke. I get an error when I click on "Perform batch task" (namely only the following line: [object HTMLScriptElement]). Also my hidden template doesn't seem to work well, see User:Trijnstel. I tried using the Firebug extension in Firefox (per advice of Dcoetzee), but that's not helping either. Savh also said that he encountered the same problem. Is there something wrong in the script maybe? Thanks for checking ... Hopefully the problem is solved soon; I use the batch task tool/notify tool and/or script quite a lot. Kind regards, Trijnsteltalk 23:30, 3 January 2013 (UTC)

I guess it was some temporary ResourceLoader/JavaScript glitch. If you still suffer from this problem, please delete all files in your browser's cache/delete temporary internet files. If this did not help, please tell me which browser you are using so I can debug the issues. On Mo, 1013-01-07 we'll get a new MW version so there may be again issues. Thanks in advance. -- Rillke(q?) 16:43, 5 January 2013 (UTC)

Unresponsive script report[edit]

Hi, are you able to make sense out of this report? [10] --Nemo 08:29, 11 October 2013 (UTC)

Also experienced this issue in times I used by Windows XP 1.7 GHz machine and uploaded more photos: When proceeding from step describe (so essentially attempting to publish the uploads), the Wizard went unresponsive. I therefore switched to another approach: Upload with default license and change it directly after uploading. I don't know whether this is still an issue. Perhaps you have a few (>20 at once) photos you want to share (with a custom license tag)? -- Rillke(q?) 08:56, 11 October 2013 (UTC)