User talk:Ronja Addams-Moring
New version of Image:Falkland_Islands_topographic_map-en.svg available
Just to let you know I uploaded a brand new version of Image:Falkland_Islands_topographic_map-en.svg and… everything works fine with it ! I'm so happy about it as in the previous version the shaded relief introduced display bugs and brought me headaches trying to fix it. I think the shaded relief is an important element of the map because it makes it much more readable for the relief.
All the background of this version is completely new, more accurate but keeps the same visual. I only used from the former version the additional data (rivers – with some correction –, roads, names and key – modified as well – ). I also added a few names (mounts and rivers) I was able to get.
About the display of the map, everything works fine on WP-en with IE6 and Firefox. On Commons, the full size view is ok too but on the description page I still only have the previous version displayed, even trying several times to refresh the cache of the browser. I guess it will be all right in some days (it might come from the server cache).
Greetings. Sting 13:35, 14 November 2007 (UTC)
- Hi. About putting it in the FPC page, I have for principle not to nominate my own pictures neither vote for them. Of course, if somebody wants to do it he's welcome. Thanks for your understanding and for the support you bring to my work.
- Greetings. Sting 21:24, 14 November 2007 (UTC)
The image Image:Falkland Islands topographic map-en.svg, that you nominated on Commons:Featured picture candidates/Image:Falkland Islands topographic map-en.svg has been promoted. Thank you for your contribution. If you would like to nominate another image, please do so.
- That's a good news, thank you for having proposed for FPC and thanks to all who supported it. But this English version seems to be cursed : in a former version, it was the only one which didn't display correctly, and for this last version which is the same as the one in French, it's the only one for which I'm not able to get the updated version displayed in the description page on Commons even refreshing several times the navigator or purging the cache. Really weird !
- Greetings ! Sting 14:25, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, Ronja Addams-Moring!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
BotMultichillT 00:35, 8 September 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Timberman-beetle-on-wall FI-EU 2007-Aug-09 by-RAM.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
- Image:Timberman-beetle-crop-n-rotate FI-EU 2007-Aug-09 by-RAM.jpg was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
Picture of the Year voting round 1 open
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:
- Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
- This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee