User talk:Rupert Pupkin
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel irc:wikimedia-commons #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons talk:Licensing.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
- 1 Image:Schartenhöhe_C_-_A.png
- 2 TUSC token d48adf6291c1abd31295f7e60d5bc30b
- 3 Please link images
- 4 de:Datei Diskussion:Gasherbrum group westfaces annotated.jpg
- 5 TUSC token 3a61c466f2ec0446c287a3b5f49690d3
- 6 annotated nanga parbat photo
- 7 File:Distaghil ISS.JPG and File:Hispar_Muztagh_labels.png
- 8 File:Ivan_vallejo_dhaulagiri.jpg
- 9 File:Dolomites in Italy, 2011.JPG
- 10 Notification about possible deletion
- 11 Share your experience and feedback as a Wikimedian in this global survey
- 12 Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia survey
|Image deletion warning||Image:Schartenhöhe_C_-_A.png has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this image, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
TUSC token d48adf6291c1abd31295f7e60d5bc30b
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
Hello Rupert Pupkin!
Thank you for providing images to Wikimedia Commons. Please keep in mind that images uploaded to Commons should be useful to all users of Wikimedia projects. This is possible only if the images can be found by other people.
To allow others to find the images you uploaded here, the images should be in some place that can be found by navigating the category structure. This means that you should put the images into appropriate topic pages, categories, optionally galleries, or both of them (see Commons:Categories). To find good categories for your images, the CommonSense tool may help.
You can find a convenient overview of your uploaded files in this gallery.
The important point is that the images should be placed in the general structure somewhere. There are a large number of completely unsorted images on Commons right now. If you would like to help to place some of those images where they can be found, please do!
- Image:G2RMHK.jpg is uncategorized since 27 November 2008. BotMultichillT (talk) 10:14, 28 November 2008 (UTC)
- The image was created resp. modified to illustrate a point on a user's talk page. It's just a rough presentation of the topic, rough enough to be understood in the aforementioned discussion, but not accurate enough to be understood by anybody who does not happen to know that discussion.--Rupert Pupkin (talk) 10:49, 1 December 2008 (UTC)
On this page an IP says that the high-information on the picture must be wrong because Gasherbrum II has to be the highest but on your picture the IV ic higher and VI is higher than the Twins. Is the IP or your picture wrong? ;) --Jodo (talk) 00:05, 26 February 2009 (UTC)
- The IP is wrong. It's all a matter of distance and perspective. G II appears lower because it is further away. (see my answer here)--Rupert Pupkin (talk) 14:40, 27 February 2009 (UTC)
TUSC token 3a61c466f2ec0446c287a3b5f49690d3
I am now proud owner of a TUSC account!
annotated nanga parbat photo
- I derived it from different books:
- "Zum dritten Pol" by Günter Oskar Dyhrenfurth
- "Der nackte Berg. Nanga Parbat - Bruder, Tod und Einsamkeit" by Reinhold Messner
- "Nanga Parbat" by Karl Maria Herrligkoffer
- some web-research was also quite helpful. It's definitely as accurate as possible. cheers--Rupert Pupkin (talk) 13:51, 28 May 2009 (UTC)
Hi Ruppert, thank you for your post. Good job with this bigger picture!
I have broadened and checked the Polish versions in the caption of both the files mentioned above.
1. Additionally: In the file File:Hispar_Muztagh_labels.png to Polish and English versions:
1.1. I added important source (of the heights of other peaks than main peaks higher than 6750 m - which are in Jurgalski list), "Swiss Map" of 1990 also known as "1990 Jerzy Wala Map" (of whole Karakorum; see caption or the bibliography in Polish biogram of pl:Jerzy Wala). So check if you could agree (and know this map - for example, Japanese Miyamori map appeared later and is not better).
1.2. I also suggested (and added in parenthesis in the list of glaciers) the second and well known name of Gharesa Glacier (as Trivor Glacier) (BTW, you used this last name in labels to the File:ESC large ISS014 ISS014-E-6851.JPG.) Also please check if you agree :)
2. Other suggestion: Maybe you can also add the sign of the Yazghil Dome (first culmination ca. 1 cm to E from Distaghil Sar E on the image), the peak of much bigger prominency than Distaghil Sar E or Central, climbed in 1980 during the first ascent of the Distaghil Sar E and the day before (see pl:Distaghil Sar, section "Wejscia", the next-to-last sentence). Yazghil Dome (7324) is on Jurgalski list.
4. My other question and soft suggestion is: Do the arrow of the North direction indicate exact direction or is only "at about" (quantitative)? As it is, the declination seems to be as much as 40-45 deg rather than 30 deg. I think this direction may be/should be indicated as accurate as possible (and may be the cropped image of Distaghil Sar should be "rectified" directly to the North? - to avoid any misunderstandings or mistaken associations of the directions for the readers less experienced with mountains and maps).
- Hi Masterstone, sorry been busy (resp. not busy...) over the weekend. Thank you for comments.
- 1.1. The Wala Map seems to be a well accepted soure especially at en-WP. Unfortunately I don't own it myself. Does it differ from Jurgalski's list?
- 1.2. I think I left the second name out because of the column spacing in the description (I tried different versions...). Anyway, it works with both names now. Do you know which name is more accepted or if one of the names has become outdated? My source was the report of the first ascent of Trivor in Berge der Welt 1960/61 (aka Mountain World) by Wilfrid Noyce. I think he mentioned both names but preferred Gharesa (but the report was written half a century ago...).
- 2. I think I wasn't quite sure about the exact localization of Yazghil Domes. (There are two, aren't there). But I guess I could try and add another triangle. (But maybe that may take some days, at the moment I'm not at that computer that has the .svg-file on its harddisc.
- 3. That's just fine :-)
- 4. I must admit that the North arrow is only "at about" but I think it's quite close. I measured it with google earth. There you can draw lines and google earth tells you the degree. At first sight, Kunyang Glacier seems to be running rather exactly from north to south. So I placed a marker on the summit of Bularung Sar and drew a line down with a degree of 0/360. It crossed the mouth of Kunyang Glacier (where it meets the Hispar) just right from the centre. So I also drew a similar line in the image and moved it parallel to create the north arrow. There might still be some deviation, but I claim that it's less then 5 degrees — provided my method was correct in the first place...
- I also tried to stitch the images of hispar glacier and biafo glacier — File:ESC large ISS014 ISS014-E-6851.JPG, File:ESC large ISS014 ISS014-E-6852.JPG, File:Latok-Ogre-Biafo.JPG (that would actually be File:ESC large ISS014 ISS014-E-6854.JPG, and I just realized that there is ...-E-6853 on the NASA-servers, I'm going to add it to commons, too) — but it was impossible. There seems to be too much distortions. If the images fitted on the one end, they wouldn't on the other end.
- I will try to produce those cropped images with north on top. Should work pretty well for Kunyang Chhish and surrounding summits. But there might be some "aesthetical issues" with the ones that are close to the borders of the picture. There will be blank space and a diagonal border in the picture (like in that one File:Baltoro region from space annotated.png).
- Please add your views. Best regards. -- Rupert Pupkin (talk) 11:27, 29 March 2010 (UTC)
|File:Ivan_vallejo_dhaulagiri.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
220.127.116.11 16:29, 17 October 2011 (UTC)
- Vielen Dank für das Kompliment. Dank dieser Website  war das nicht mehr schwer, sobald ich den ungefähren Aufnahmestandort gefunden hatte... Und den Pelmo hatte ich zum Glück sofort erkannt. Gruß -Rupert Pupkin (talk) 21:37, 7 April 2012 (UTC)
Notification about possible deletion
|Some contents have been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether they should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at their entry.
If you created these pages, please note that the fact that they have been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with them.
- This survey is primarily meant to get feedback on the Wikimedia Foundation's current work, not long-term strategy.
- Legal stuff: No purchase necessary. Must be the age of majority to participate. Sponsored by the Wikimedia Foundation located at 149 New Montgomery, San Francisco, CA, USA, 94105. Ends January 31, 2017. Void where prohibited. Click here for contest rules.
Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia survey
(Sorry to write in Engilsh)