More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (webchat). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at the copyright village pump.
|File:Silky_Sifaka_ER_PATEL.jpg has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this file, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue.
Hi Simponafotsy, you should youse the deletion discussion for response: Commons:Deletion requests/File:Silky Sifaka ER PATEL.jpg. I transfered your comment on Jacks talkpage to this discussion page. --Martin H. (talk) 00:26, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 06:17, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Silky Sifaka ER PATEL big.jpg is uncategorized since 4 February 2009. BotMultichillT 06:17, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Lemur Hunting Trap.jpg is uncategorized since 5 February 2009. BotMultichillT 06:20, 6 February 2009 (UTC)
It was okay to leave Image:Silky Sifaka ER PATEL big.jpg with the single category Category:Propithecus candidus belongs to. Categorisation on Commons works as a taxonomic tree, so any file in Category:Propithecus candidus will automatically belong to every category that Category:Propithecus candidus does. For example you added the categories Lemur, primate and animal. However if you follow the tree you wiil find that Category:Propithecus candidus belongs to Category:Propithecus which in turn belong to Category:Indridae which in turn belongs to Category:Lemuroidea which belongs to Category:Strepsirrhini from whence we finally reach the category primates. You could continue to follow this tree until you reach Category:Animals. So you see that by belonging to Category:Propithecus candidus, Image:Silky Sifaka ER PATEL big.jpg automatically belonged to the Lemuroidea, primate and animal categories.
(Commons prefers to use the scientific classification for animals rather then the popular names hence Lemuroidea in preference for Lemurs, and Propithecus in preference Sifaka).
Unlike taxonamy in biology an image may belong to multiple trees. For example Category:Propithecus candidus will adequetely cover the categorisation for the sifakas in File:Hunted Silky Sifakas.jpg but the categories Hunting and Category:Meats could be added to the file to categorise other aspects of the image.
OK, THANKS FOR THE INFO. I'M STILL LEARNING. I STILL THINK IT'S REALLY A SHAME WE CANT FIND A WAY TO LINK TO "THE SILKY SIFAKA RESEARCH AND CONSERVATION WEBSITE" (www.erikpatel.com). I REALIZE IT MAY SEEM SELF-PROMOTING ON MY PART, BUT THAT IS THE MOST IN-DEPTH SITE DEVOTED TO THIS ANIMAL. BY NOT INCLUDING THAT SITE, THE WIKIPEDIA ENTRY FOR THIS SPECIES WILL FOREVER BE INCOMPLETE. PLEASE RECONSIDER THE DECISION TO DELETE WWW.ERIKPATEL.COM AS AN EXTERNAL LINK. THANKS, ERIK
- Not to worry we all are learning or should be. I'm not really clear where the external link was deleted from but if it was to Commons then the deletion is probably in order. If you read the disclaimer that appears whenever you edit here it asks if you are in the right place. Commons is a repository for media files pictures, diagrams, sound files and videos and things that verge upon encyclopediac content is considered out of scope. Of course we have to have descriptions of the files and categories to make sure users know what they are looking at so that these files can be used. However this should be kept to a minimum and personally the best thing to do is to link to the relevant wikipedia article or articles. On occassion we may have in scope files which do not yet have an appropriate wikipedia article in which a slightly longer intro and external links may be in order (though if this is the case and you have enough material creating the relevant article in wikipedia is always a possibility).
- Anyway none of this really applies here as there is an article on the Silky Sifaka at en:wiki which I know you are contibuting to. Not really my baliwick but it would surprise me if the external link was deleted from the article, but if that was the case you should really be making your case there rather than here. Reasons and reasoning could probably be found at en:Wikipedia:External links, if I can't find a reason against I'm inclined to add the external link to the article myself.
- Do I understand you right that you are Erik Patel. I don't mean to disbelieve you but if you can prove this then the problems over the deletion reviews of your uploads as suspected copyright violations would probably be solved in a flash.KTo288 (talk) 23:20, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
File tagging File:Silky Sifaka ER PATEL.jpg
|This media was probably deleted.|
|Thanks for uploading File:Silky Sifaka ER PATEL.jpg. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (firstname.lastname@example.org). This also applies if you are the author yourself.
The file probably has been deleted. If you sent a permission, try to send it again after 14 days. Do not re-upload. When the OTRS-member processes your mail, the file can be undeleted. Additionally you can request undeletion here, providing a link to the File-page on Commons where it was uploaded (