More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:Johngalloway.png was uncategorized on 3 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 12:12, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Two Galloway boilers with external furnace (Steam Boilers & Boiler Accessories, 1915, p 65).png was uncategorized on 27 February 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 11:23, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Erasmus Smith 1611-1691 by John Michael Wright.jpg was uncategorized on 13 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 23:09, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
- Image:Topinard nasal index.png was uncategorized on 18 November 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 20:59, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
Portrait of Erasmus Smith
- The ship will be a token of his trade - he was a merchant, bringing in goods from Turkey. I am unsure about the card/paper that he is holding but, yes, it probably has some sort of symbolism. Could it perhaps represent the Royal Charter that his eponymous trust received for schooling in Ireland? It does not seem "flamboyant" enough for that. Maybe a bill of exchange? - Sitush (talk) 19:53, 13 November 2011 (UTC)
Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I have granted autopatrol rights to your account; the reason for this is that I believe you are sufficiently trustworthy and experienced to have your contributions automatically sighted. This will have no effect on your editing, and is simply intended to help users watching Recent changes or Recent uploads to find unproductive edits amidst the productive ones. Thank you. INeverCry 03:08, 16 December 2012 (UTC)
Biased against Jat people ?
Dear your edits and deletions are indicator that you seem to be biased against Jat people. I could not understand reasons why ? 220.127.116.11
Hello Sitush, I'm Anup. I'm apparently new to Commons and its policies. Thought, I'll ask you assist to solve my confusion. Okay it is, Is it allowed to upload a personal image on Commons and link it within some Wikipedia article. Is there some policy/guideline to determine if it is the user's personal image or a random image? For example, File:Group_playing_Holi.jpg, File:Ceaholi.jpg, File:Young_man_celebrating_Holi.JPG linked within en:Wiki:Holi. File:Hindu_Wedding_Bride_receiving_blessings_Delhi_India.jpg, File:Hindu_wedding_couple.jpg, File:Vinay_neha.jpg, File:Hindu_bride_at_temple,_Nepal.jpg, File:Gaye_holud.jpg, File:A_Hindu_wedding_ritual_in_progress_b.jpg, File:Hindu_Wedding.jpg, File:Meet_friends_and_family_ritual,_after_Hindu_wedding_vows,_India.jpg, File:Shy_smile_of_a_bride_in_a_Hindu_wedding.jpg, File:WeddingMoment.jpg, File:A_Hindu_wedding_ritual.jpg, File:Hindu_marriage_blessing.jpg, File:Hindu_marriage_blessing.jpg earlier linked within en:Wiki:Vivaah(now removed). I'm really curious if they comply with Wikimedia Commons policy and guidelines. AnupMehra ✈ 18:47, 4 February 2014 (UTC)
- Well, the first one cannot be transferred to Commons because we have no idea who took it - the sources is "Whats App" but there is no actual URL and therefore no means to determine the copyright status. I think that it should be deleted on Wikipedia also, although Wikipedia does have slightly different policies to Commons when it comes to copyright.
- It is a complex issue and I admit to only understanding a small part of it! - Sitush (talk) 08:55, 5 February 2014 (UTC)
This media file is NOT missing evidence of permission. It is released under CC-BY-SA which is noted in the source and recorded in the file description. Jan Arkesteijn (talk) 21:34, 20 March 2014 (UTC)
Your speedy requests
Your requests do not meet the requirements of Commons:Criteria for speedy deletion.
Per the process, "Appeal: If you think that the file does not meet the criteria for speedy deletion, please explain why on its talk page and remove this tag." I have added explanation on the talk page. I have removed the tag.
Hi, I overlooked a message you sent to my talk page. You are right, so I created this DR. You may also want to see Commons:Deletion requests/Files uploaded by Indiaresists. Regards, Yann (talk) 12:10, 5 January 2015 (UTC)