Due to lesser activity on Commons, I use the permanent archive method for my talk page. I know that many users, even experience ones are unaware of this method. See the archive process on English Wikipedia to know what this permanent link archiving method is. My talk page is archived every month.
Your recent uploads: Categorizing - "bad" and "good" example
Hi, please do not categorize your pictures (two examples of your uploads):
- 1) Category:India AND
- Category:Hyderabad AND
- 2) Category:India AND
- Category:Bhadrachalam AND
Please save time and capacity on commons by categorizing:
- 1) Category:Transport in Andhra Pradesh (and for example Category:Highways in India)
- 2) Category:Bhadrachalam including the Category:Hindu temples in Andhra Pradesh (and for example Category:Gopurams)
Please use as far as possible the category of the regarding city/town/village and, please, do not add - in addition - the categories of the state and country, too.
Thank you for your assistance, Roland zh 12:07, 1 October 2009 (UTC)
- Oh! I am sorry, I didn't know that rules. Thank you. I am actually new. Srinivas 14:13, 1 October 2009 (UTC)
|This media may be deleted.
|Thanks for uploading File:LK_Advani.jpg. This media is missing permission information. A source is given, but there is no proof that the author or copyright holder agreed to license the file under the given license. Please provide a link to an appropriate webpage with license information, or send an email with copy of a written permission to OTRS (email@example.com). This also applies if you are the author yourself.
Please see this page for more information on how to confirm permission, and Commons:Permission if you would like to understand why we ask for permission when uploading work that is not your own.
Unless the permission information is given, the image may be deleted after seven days. Thank you.
05:45, 11 October 2009 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
This will make the diagram show up in the categories "Astronomical diagrams" and "Comets".
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
Thanks again for your uploads! More information about categorization can be found in Commons:Categories, and don't hesitate to leave a note on the help desk.
06:18, 11 October 2009 (UTC)