More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons:Village pump/Copyright.
Tip: Categorizing images
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
- Image:SSU Rec Center 4627.png was uncategorized on 18 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 19:58, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:SSU Salazar Hall 4646.png was uncategorized on 18 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 19:58, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:SSU Schultz Library 4630.png was uncategorized on 18 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 19:58, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:SSU sign 4625.png was uncategorized on 18 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 19:58, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:SSU Darwin Hall 4632.png was uncategorized on 18 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 19:58, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
- Image:SSU lake behind Commons 4639.png was uncategorized on 18 October 2011 CategorizationBot (talk) 19:58, 19 October 2011 (UTC)
Spring Lake Santa Rosa California 3585.jpg
Dear Stepheng3, Hello, my name is Robert Epstein. I am a haiku poet who is self-publishing through Wasteland Press a book of haiku poetry about Spring Lake in Santa Rosa, CA. You posted a photo of the Lake on Wikipedia that I would like to include in the book. I will of course give you credit for the photo. I was hoping that you might be able to send me a black and white high resolution JPG version of the photo--as color is too costly--which I can then forward to the publisher.
Thank you very much; I look forward to hearing from you. My email address is: email@example.com Sincerely, Robert Epstein
- I freely contribute my time to Wikimedia Commons. That doesn't mean I do the same for random strangers. Surely you can figure out how to convert the image to black-and-white yourself. Hint: try googling "GIMP". —Stepheng3 (talk) 22:14, 10 February 2012 (UTC)
Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I have granted autopatrol rights to your account; the reason for this is that I believe you are sufficiently trustworthy and experienced to have your contributions automatically sighted. This will have no effect on your editing, and is simply intended to help users watching Recent changes or Recent uploads to find unproductive edits amidst the productive ones. Thank you. Jafeluv (talk) 11:33, 28 January 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for letting me know. I vow to use my superpowers only for good ... :) -Stepheng3 (talk) 21:38, 28 January 2013 (UTC)
|Category:Bodega_Bay,_California has been listed at Commons:Categories for discussion so that the community can discuss ways in which it should be changed. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this category, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for discussion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it. If the category is up for deletion because it has been superseded, consider the notion that although the category may be deleted, your hard work (which we all greatly appreciate) lives on in the new category.
In all cases, please do not take the category discussion personally. It is never intended as such. Thank you!