User talk:The Red Hat of Pat Ferrick
More information is available at the community portal. You may ask questions at the help desk, village pump or on IRC channel irc:wikimedia-commons #wikimedia-commons (direct access). You can also contact an administrator on their talk page. If you have a specific copyright question, ask at Commons talk:Licensing.
|(P.S. Would you like to provide feedback on this message?)|
RedCoat 14:10, 16 December 2008 (UTC)
Tip: Categorizing images
Hello, The Red Hat of Pat Ferrick!
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations").
- Image:Portugal and Environs 1415.png is uncategorized since 11 January 2009. BotMultichillT (talk) 06:31, 12 January 2009 (UTC)
Can you add the Oregon territory to area controlled by Great Britain to your map? Otherwise, excellent work. 126.96.36.199 22:25, 3 May 2009 (UTC)
I don't know whether you would include them but many of the Italian African colonies were under British control from early forties to early fifties. Also wouldn't New Zealand's and Australia's Antarctic territories be considered part of British Empire (although I don't know about official control from London).
- Few more territories may be considered:
- Tortuga, a small island near Haiti, was controlled by the British, 1630-1635.
- Part of today's Haiti (Santo Domingo) was occupied by the British (1795-1798). The aim was to divide the island between Britain and Spain. Whether it became colony or not is disputed here: http://estc.ucr.edu/britem.html.
- Tangiers in Morocco.
- Tibet was occupied by the Britain in 1904/1905, and the initial peace treaty "declared that Tibet would have no relations with any other foreign powers (converting Tibet into a British protectorate)". This was within a year changed in favour of Chinese control.
- Thanks for the map. Pavel Vozenilek (talk) 01:00, 2 November 2012 (UTC)
Hello Red Hat! Hope all is well with you. I'm writing to let you know about several delete proposal that may interest you. They are:
More multiple deletions of maps
You may also be interested in these:
- Commons:Deletion requests/File:13Etendue de l'Empire Français.png
- Commons:Deletion requests/File:Empirecolonialfrançais.png
- Commons:Deletion requests/File:Carte Empire Français.png
- Commons:Deletion requests/File:British Empire Anachronous 3.PNG
- Commons:Deletion requests/File:Countries in brit emp.PNG
- Commons:Deletion requests/File:The British Empire1.png
- Commons:Deletion requests/Nonsense British Empire maps
You might be interested in Commons:Deletion requests/Nonsense Portuguese and Union maps. Cheers! The Ogre (talk) 16:56, 23 March 2010 (UTC)
Should Hawaii be included on the map of the British Empire Map? Hawaii was a British protectorate from 1794–1843, when it became a republic. The Hawaiian flag also includes a Union Flag.