The Vienna Secession (also known as the Union of Austrian Artists, or Vereiningung Bildender Künstler Österreichs) was founded on 3 April 1897 by the artists Gustav Klimt, Koloman Moser, Josef Hoffmann, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Max Kurzweil, Otto Wagner, and others. The first president was Rudolf von Alt.
- see also: de:Wiener Secessionsgebäude
The secession building at Vienna, built in 1897 by Joseph Maria Olbrich for exhibitions of the secession group
Jugendstil owls - Detail of the facade of the Viennese Secession Building. These designs for building’s facade decoration are attributed to Koloman Moser.
The Beethovenfries, created by Gustav Klimt, is housed in the lower floor.