Category:82nd Airborne Division Heraldry
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia
- Upon a red square 2 3/8 inches (6.03 cm) on a side a blue disc 1 3/4 inches (4.45 cm) in diameter with the letters AA in white. The inner elements of the two A’s vertical lines and the outer elements arcs of a circle 1 3/8 inches (3.49 cm) in diameter, elements of the letters 1/8 inch (.32 cm) in width. Attached immediately above the square is a blue tab with the word “AIRBORNE” in white.
- COMBAT SERVICE IDENTIFICATION BADGE: A silver color metal and enamel device 2 inches (5.08 cm) in height consisting of a design similar to the shoulder sleeve insignia.
- The double “A” refers to the nickname “All American Division” adopted by the organization in France during World War I.
- The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved for the 82nd Division by the Adjutant General, American Expeditionary Forces on 1918-10-21 and was confirmed by The Adjutant General on 1922-07-08.
- The insignia was redesignated for the 82d Airborne Division and an “Airborne” tab authorized on 1942-08-31.
- Authorization for the tab was rescinded on 1947-01-29 and subsequently restored on 1948-12-23 and announced later on 1949-03-01.
- (TIOH Drawing Number A-1-129)
Distinctive Unit Insignia
- A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of pair of blue stylized wings, tips down surmounted by a white fleur-de-lis supported by a blue scroll inscribed, “IN AIR, ON LAND” in silver color metal letters.
- The fleur-de-lis is representative of the battle honors earned in France during World War I.
- The wings are symbolic of the Division’s mission.
- The motto is expressive of the personnel of the organization either on land or in the air.
- The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 1942-10-23.
- It was redesignated for the Command and Control Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division on 1958-04-21.
- It was redesignated for the non-color bearing units of the 82nd Airborne Division on 1966-06-06.
- The insignia was cancelled and a distinctive unit insignia of the same design as the shoulder sleeve was authorized on 1990-07-31.
- The original insignia was reinstated on 1998-05-21.
- a. Size:
- Hoist: Three Feet.
- Fly: Four Feet.
- Fringe: 2½”
- b. Organizational colors:
- The flag consists of two horizontal stripes of equal width.
- Top Stripe: Red
- Bottom Stripe: National Flag Blue.
- Shoulder Sleeve Insignia: Centered; proper; 15 inches high.
- Piping: White.
- Fringe: Yellow.
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.