Category:Fort Townshend

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo du Répertoire canadien des lieux patrimoniaux.svg
National Historic Site of Canada
English: The site formerly occupied by Fort Townshend in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. An archaeological site now partly marked by plaques, the fort served as the headquarters of the Newfoundland garrison from 1779 until 1871. There are no visible above-ground remains of the fort. The site is now mostly occupied by The Rooms, the provincial museum and archives. The site was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1951. The site is also marked by a plaque commemorating John Harvey, the Civil Governor of Newfoundland from 1841 to 1846.
Français : Le lieu historique national du Canada Fort-Townshend est un site archéologique situé à St. John’s (Terre-Neuve, Canada). Il était autrefois le centre d’un réseau d’ouvrages défensifs britanniques du XVIIIe siècle, abandonné en 1871. En 2000, un complexe moderne, «The Rooms», a été construit sur l’emplacement du lieu. Peu de vestiges du fort sont maintenant accessibles, mais on peut en voir certains in situ dans le sous-sol de l’ensemble The Rooms.

Media in category "Fort Townshend"

The following 3 files are in this category, out of 3 total.