Category:MacDonald House

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
MacDonald House at 40A Orchard Road, Singapore 238838, was designed in Neo-Georgian style by Reginald Eyre of Palmer and Turner on a commission from The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. Constructed between 1947 and 1949, it was the first large office building built after World War II. It was declared officially open on by Malcolm MacDonald, the British Commissioner-General for Southeast Asia (1948–1955), after whom the building was named.

On , a bomb planted by Indonesian saboteurs on a mezzanine floor of the building exploded, killing three people and injuring 33 others. This was one of a number of terrorist attacks in Singapore during the Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation in support of President Sukarno's opposition to the merger of Singapore, Malaya, Sabah and Sarawak to form the Federation of Malaysia. Two members of the Indonesian Marine Corps were eventually convicted and executed for the crime.

Now occupied by Citibank Singapore, the building was gazetted as a national monument on .


References

Pages in category "MacDonald House"

This category contains only the following page.

Media in category "MacDonald House"

The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.