- A. When to create a category for a specific ship
- If you know the name of a ship in a photo, you might want to create a category for the ship.
- In general, name the category with the ship's name as painted on the vessel (when the picture was taken).
- Sample: This photo shows "Isla de Botafoc" in 2008. The category is named "Isla de Botafoc (ship, 1980)". This even if the ship had other names before and afterwards.
- The general format for category titles is "<name of ship> (ship, <year>)". <year> is the year the ship was completed, see Category:Ships by year built for further information.
- Samples: "Golden Hind (ship, 1973)" or "Pacific Dawn (ship, 1991)".
- "<name of ship> (ship, <year>)" is a naming convention rather than a disambiguation rule. "(ship, <year>)" is added even if there is no other category named "<name of ship>". The "<name of ship>" may already mean ship.
- Samples: "Norwood (ship, 1899)" or "Europic Ferry (ship, 1968)" or "Mein Schiff 2 (ship, 1997)" or "The Big Red Boat II (ship, 1966)".
- Submarines use "<name> (submarine, <year>)" and tugs/towboats use "<name> (tugboat, <year>)". All other types are identified by category:Ships by type.
- Samples: "Akula (submarine, 1909)" or "Cape Romain (tugboat, 1979)".
- Fishing ships display their license number. Categories for these have the format "<license number> <name> (ship, <year>)" (see Category:Fishing vessels by license number).
- Sample: This image shows "N206", the category is named "N206 Castle Bay (ship, 1965)".
- Prefixes are generally omitted.
- Samples: "Titanic (ship, 1912)" instead of "RMS Titanic (ship, 1912)". Rather "Ammonia (ship, 1929)" than "DF Ammonia (ship, 1929)" or "SF Ammonia (ship, 1929)" .
- Exception: If the name as painted on the ship always includes the "prefix", the category name includes it as well.
- Sample: MS. Volendam (ship, 1990) as the name on the vessel reads "MS. Volendam".
- If there are several ships with the same name built in the same year, the place where the ship was built/location of the shipyard is added: "<name of ship> (ship, <year>, <place>)".
- Sample: "Mistral (ship, 1999, Saint-Nazaire)" as there are several Mistral (ship, 1999).
- In the rare case that there are several ships with the same name built the same year at the same place, the yard number is also added: "<name of ship> (ship, <year>, <place>, <yard number>)".
- Sample: "Stena Transporter (ship, 1978, Ulsan, 649)" and Stena Transporter (ship, 1978, Ulsan, 651).
- If you don't know the year the ship was built or can't find it, just use "<name> (ship)".
- Sample: "Ben Campbell (ship)".
The following can be added manually or in series by bot.
There are series of subcategories of Category:Ships that are suitable for photos rather than for categories about specific ships. Samples: