User talk:Tony Wills
- My works, full gallery
- My works, in reverse chronological order
- My derivative works or contribution of free use material from external sources, in reverse chronological order
- (All other uploads are just general maintenance, reversions etc of existing wikimedia files)
|4/Mar/07 - 29/Aug/07|
|29/Aug/07 - 6/Dec/07|
|6/Dec/07 - 31/Jan/08|
|1/Feb/08 - 10/Dec/08|
|11/Dec/08 - 29/Jun/09|
|30/Jun/09 - 31/Dec/09|
|1/Jan/10 - 26/Dec/10|
|1/Jan/11 - 1/Jun/11|
|2/Jun/11 - 31/Jan/12|
|1/Feb/12 - 31/Dec/12|
|:-)||When I would be wearing a happy face if I was in face to face conversation with somebody. Meaning simply that I am not unhappy, not angry, no animosity is meant etc and the context should show whether I am happily agreeing, or respectfully dis-agreeing. Perhaps people should be very worried when I don't punctuate a conversation with a smile! ;-) [← that was a joke]|
|;-)||I am making a joke or pun, or I am having a good humoured dig at something, or I don't really believe what I just said|
|:-(||I am sad that you think that, or I am sorry for what I have said/done|
|:-|||I am trying not to smile in case you take it the wrong way|
|* * * 2013 !!! * * *|
|Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!
Christmas in Ukraine
Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, the Republic of Macedonia, and the Republic of Moldova celebrate Christmas on what in the Gregorian calendar is January 7. -- George Chernilevsky talk 19:12, 26 December 2012 (UTC)
Pineapple Pub Image
- Difference between revisions of "File:Pineapple pub at night2.jpg
Not sure I understand why you edited this page File:Pineapple_pub_at_night2.jpg thus... FLICKR link holds all size and Creative Commons Licence etc. The image loaded to Commons is just one version. I recall I uploaded the original and hence largest image. Gordo (talk) 10:46, 6 January 2013 (UTC)
- It is a slightly strange situation, the largest version on flickr, the "original" sized version is 900 x 597 you uploaded that here on May 2005. The previous version you uploaded here a couple of hours after it was taken in January 2005 is 1024 x 768. We don't really need to keep both, but they are two versions with different provenance, one can be verified by a bot as coming from flickr (with appropriate license), the larger version appears to prove that you are indeed the flickr user as you have access to a larger version. Might be useful proof as sometimes we have people using usercodes here pretending to be the same user on flickr when they're not.
- Someone nominated the larger version to be deleted as a duplicate, whereas we normally keep the largest version. Rather than delete either I thought it reasonable to keep both :-) --Tony Wills (talk) 11:00, 7 January 2013 (UTC)
- Gordo (talk) 16:26, 7 January 2013 (UTC)
Picture of the Year voting round 1 open
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:
- Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
- This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).
Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
Mexicanos en usa 2010
Hi Tony, please see my reply at Commons:Deletion requests/File:Mexicanos en usa 2010.png. Cheers. Kaldari (talk) 19:18, 25 January 2013 (UTC)
Your picture Bul02Bird293a.jpg
Hi Tony, Some time ago you uploaded picture file Bul02Bird293a.jpg In its description you inform that the author of the picture is Walter Lawry Buller. This is not correct. It is William Dougall. See the online collections of the Museum of New Zealand (Te Papa Tongarewa), at: http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/ where this picture can also be found. The birds shown on the picture are the Erect Crested Penguin (Eudyptes sclateri) and Salvin's Mollymawk (a type of Albatros: Thalassarche salvini). These are two of only 7 species of birds that breed on the islands, among which there is only 1 species of albatros and 1 species of penguin. You might want to correct both the author and the bird's names in the file's description. Thank you! Loranchet (talk) 14:37, 28 February 2013 (UTC)
- I don't think Buller's book acknowledged the source of any photos etc, thanks for the info. It is a wiki, you are welcome to make such corrections directly yourself. I have updated the file description page. Did you upload a copy of the original plate? If so, link the two versions together with wikilinks in the other_versions fields. --Tony Wills (talk) 11:15, 2 March 2013 (UTC)
You may remember that back in January we talked about the possibility of enabling AFT for Commons images. I've finally written up an RFC on enabling it - would you mind taking a look before I make it public and start inviting comments? The draft proposal is at User:Andrew Gray/feedback. Thanks, Andrew Gray (talk) 11:50, 15 March 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks for the comment! I've now moved it to a formal RFC - Commons:Requests for Comment/Feedback. Andrew Gray (talk) 20:12, 18 March 2013 (UTC)
renominating an image for QI
A lot of images which are nominated for QI, are not assessed (positively or negatively) and after the 8 day period they are assigned to the Unassessed QI Images Category. Can these images be renominated?
A barnstar for you!
|The Civility Barnstar|
|For keeping a cool head despite personal attacks and incivil behavior from another editor. Slaunger (talk) 14:19, 4 August 2013 (UTC)|