Category:St. Mary's Church, Bannow
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
|This object is indexed in the Archaeological Survey of Ireland under SMR No. WX045-043----
Geographic information system of the National Monuments Service: Historic Environment Viewer – Database record.
English: St. Mary's in Bannow is a fortified church. According to Leask, the battlements were erected in the 14th or 15th century. According to Moore, it was probably founded before 1200 by monks from Canterbury and transfered to 1245 to Tintern. It is the only surviving ruin of a medieval town which was founded at the site of the first Anglo-Norman landing in Ireland. (See entry 1424 in Michael J. Moore: Archaeological Inventory of County Wexford, ISBN 0-7076-2326-X.)
Media in category "St. Mary's Church, Bannow"
The following 17 files are in this category, out of 17 total.