EastHanSeismograph.JPG (480 × 552 pixels, file size: 232 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
English: A replica of an ancient Chinese Seismograph from Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220 CE).
This picture is taken from an exhibition at Chabot Space & Science Center in Oakland, California.
The plaque of the exhibit said:
Detecting a Quake
In 132 CE, after several earthquakes in China, astronomer Zhang Heng invented this instrument to warn people of the next one. When the ground shook, it moved a pendulum inside the jug. The pendulum pushed a lever that opened one dragon's mouth. A ball rolled out and into the toad's mouth below, sounding an alarm. The open dragon mouth pointed in the direction of the earthquake, notifying the Emperor.
|Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled GNU Free Documentation License.|
|This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.|
|This licensing tag was added to this file as part of the GFDL licensing update.|
Original upload log
Upload date | User | Dimensions | Comment
04:08, 12 July 2004 |480 × 585 (87 KB) | Kowloonese (talk | contribs) | Ancient Chinese Siesmograph from Eastern Han Dynasty
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||13:10, 10 January 2014||480 × 552 (232 KB)||Soerfm||Levels, crop|
|13:10, 10 January 2014||480 × 552 (232 KB)||Soerfm||Levels, crop|
|14:33, 25 March 2005||480 × 585 (87 KB)||Shizhao||A replica of an ancient Chinese Siesmograph from Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220 CE) This picture was taken in July 2004 from an exhibition at Chabot Space & Science Center in Oakland California. The plaque of the exhibit said: <b>Detecting a Quake</b> <br>|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
File usage on Commons
File usage on other wikis
The following other wikis use this file:
- Usage on ast.wikipedia.org
- Usage on azb.wikipedia.org
- Usage on az.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bg.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bn.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bo.wikipedia.org
- Usage on bs.wikipedia.org
- Usage on ca.wikipedia.org
- Usage on cs.wikipedia.org
- Usage on de.wikipedia.org
- Usage on el.wikipedia.org
- Usage on en.wikipedia.org
- Usage on eo.wikipedia.org
- Usage on es.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fa.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fi.wikipedia.org
- Usage on fr.wikipedia.org
- Usage on gl.wikipedia.org
- Usage on he.wikipedia.org
View more global usage of this file.