(Redirected from Priapus)Jump to navigation Jump to search
ancient Greek deity
|Instance of|| mythological Greek character,|
English: Priapus was the rustic god of the bounty of the vegetable garden. He was also honoured as the protector of sheep, goats, bees, the vine and of all garden produce. Priapus was depicted as a dwarfish man with a huge penis, which symbolized garden fertility. His head was crowned with a peaked Phrygian cap, belying his origin as a god native to the Mysian city of Lampsakos on the Hellespont. His cult was introduced into Greece and Italy, where his mythology were reinterpreted in Greek terms. Primitive statues of the god were traditionally set-up in vegetable plots to promote fertility with the added benefit of functioning as a type of "scarecrow" scaring away birds. The Greeks naturally described the god as the son of one of the phallic gods — either Hermes or Dionysus. His mother was usually Aphrodite.
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Media in category "Priapus"
The following 17 files are in this category, out of 17 total.
- Calyx-krater Athens 1375 Louvre CA153.jpg 2,200 × 3,340; 4.45 MB
- Castillo de San Miguel, Almuñ 24J 32.jpg 5,184 × 3,456; 5.76 MB
- Castillo de San Miguel, Almuñ 24J 33.jpg 5,184 × 3,456; 5.94 MB
- Castillo de San Miguel, Almuñ 24J 35.jpg 5,184 × 3,456; 5.67 MB
- Dionysos El Jem mosaique.jpg 3,072 × 2,304; 3.06 MB
- Mosaique El Jem Dionysos.jpg 3,072 × 2,304; 3.07 MB
- Priapus Scarecrow.jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 4.47 MB
- Priapus.ogg 11 min 33 s; 7.11 MB
- Priapworship.jpg 1,280 × 823; 219 KB
- Sozopol Archaeological Museum IMG 4126.JPG 3,000 × 4,000; 1.74 MB
- Terakota Prijapa Vranj.jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 4.09 MB
- Testa di priapo in stile arcaistico, epoca augustea.jpg 1,432 × 1,956; 1.43 MB