Thanks for your participation! The 2011 winners have been announced!
Official Policies 
These policies were determined by the POTY 2011 committee and should not be modified without committee approval.
- Round 1 of POTY 2011
- from 23:00 [UTC] (Saturday)
- to 23:59 [UTC] (Monday).
- NOW proposed to change to 21:00 [UTC] (Thursday).
- The first three days are beta testing period. We announce in Commons-l and Commons sitenotice only.
- Votes in this testing period are also eligible.
- If you find a bug for the tool, please report it to MediaWiki talk:EnhancedPOTY.js; report other things to Commons talk:Picture of the Year/2011.
- After beta testing is over, CentralNotice banners will run in all available places in wikimedia until the end of the voting period.
- Round 2 will run from ___ to ___.
- There will be two rounds in POTY 2011.
- Round 1 will include all images promoted to featured picture status in 2011.
- Round 2 will include the top 32 (+α) images from Round 1.
- The top image will be declared as the Picture of the Year. The top three images will be featured as runners-up.
Voter eligibility 
- Your account must pass the official POTY 2011 voter eligibility tool. To do so, you must:
- ...have registered before 2012-04-01
- ...and have more than 75 edits before 2012-04-01 (that is 2012-03-31 24:00 (UTC)/, 00:00 (UTC) in any single Wikimedia project.
- Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another Wikimedia project.
- For other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL.
- Due to the large vote volume, we are unable to accept voters that do not meet this criteria as determined by the official POTY 2011 voter eligibility tool.
Voting rules 
In Round 1 - multiple vote - eligible users may vote for as many candidates as they wish to support (one vote per image).
In the Final round - single vote - eligible users may vote for only one finalist. Note: if a voter happen to cast more than one vote, only the latest (newest) vote will be counted as eligible"
Commons:Picture of the Year/2011/Galleries#Galleries by categories
Image eligibility 
- Round 1
- All FPs from 1 January 2011 to 31 December 2011.
- The top 32 images from Round 1, by number of votes, from any category will go to the final round - the categories are irrelevant when it comes to counting the votes.
- If category #1 are not in the top 32s, they will be also promoted to the Final to guarantees a diverse final.
No candidate should not be disqualified or replaced without careful discussion as long as they are not deleted (ex. A deletion request alone is not enough reason to disqualify an image.)
POTY barnstar 
Commons:Picture of the Year/2011/Translations
Commons:Picture of the Year/2011/Translations#Announcements and Sitenotices
Tools and bots 
Checking votes 
- Vote button which can check voter eligibility
- Counting tool operated by Kalan
Abuse filters 
- voting by anons (there is already a filter)
- manipulation: check whether username=voter, prevent removal or change of other user's votes, prevent adding a vote to a picture, if there is already one vote by the user