Category:Amy Howson (ship, 1914)
- Type: Humber sloop
- Design by:
- Order date:
- Built by: Joss Scarr’s yard at Beverley
- Yard No:
- Keel laid:
- Launch date:
- Date of completion: 1914
- Length over all: 18.7 m
- LPP: m
- Beam: 4.7 m
- Draught: m
- NET: 100
- Sail area: Originally rigged as a keel
- Main engine:
- Speed: kn
- Reefer points:
- 1914 Named: SOPHIA for George Robert “Cuckoo” Scaife, after his wife. She worked in the coal trade between the West Riding and Beverley.
- 1916 Sold to Gouldthorpe, Wright and Scott Renamed: I KNOW and rerigged as a sloop by Clapsons of Barton. Initially carrying chalk and stone for the bank protection works on the lower Humber estuary, she later worked the general market and parcel trade between Grimsby and Hull.
- 1924 Sold to W H Barraclough and renamed AMY HOWSON, for one of his daughters. From then, she carried oil seed to Yarborough Oil Mills at Brigg, chemicals to Barton on Humber and Howden Dyke as well as general cargo like grain from King George Dock in Hull to Sheffield, returning with coal to Hull.
- 1939 Fitting of an Ailsa Craig engine which drove a 36" propellor through a reduction gearbox.
- 1953 The Aisa Craig engine was replaced by a 30hp Lister Diesel.
- Late 1960's sold and laid off in the River Hull.
- 1976 Sold to Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society Ltd. Rebuilding and restoration work started
- 17.07.1981 Fully rigged with Gaff Sail and Leeboards she became the first ship to sail under the Humber Bridge when it was opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.
Media in category "Amy Howson (ship, 1914)"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.
- "Amy Howson" - geograph.org.uk - 254428.jpg 480 × 640; 101 KB
- Barton Haven - geograph.org.uk - 1011289.jpg 640 × 480; 81 KB
- Barton Haven - geograph.org.uk - 1075341.jpg 640 × 480; 85 KB
- Barton Haven - geograph.org.uk - 1161140.jpg 640 × 426; 85 KB
- Barton Haven - geograph.org.uk - 1377746.jpg 640 × 388; 70 KB
- Barton Haven - geograph.org.uk - 1615639.jpg 640 × 640; 359 KB
- Barton Haven - geograph.org.uk - 602587.jpg 640 × 583; 91 KB
- Boats Moored at Ferriby Sluice - geograph.org.uk - 535450.jpg 640 × 480; 71 KB
- Humber Sloops at Barrow Haven.jpg 2,663 × 2,663; 5.36 MB
- Reflections - Barton Haven - geograph.org.uk - 1615646.jpg 480 × 640; 268 KB
- South Ferriby Sluice and Lock - geograph.org.uk - 894323.jpg 427 × 640; 73 KB
- Victoria Pier - geograph.org.uk - 138659.jpg 640 × 480; 108 KB