From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: The Arbëreshë are a linguistic and ethnic Albanian minority community living in southern Italy, especially the regions of Apulia, Basilicata, Molise, Calabria and Sicily. They settled in Southern Italy in the 15th to 18th centuries AD in several waves of migrations, following the death of the Albanian national hero George Kastrioti Skanderbeg and the gradual conquest of Albania and throughout the Byzantine Empire by the Ottoman Turks. The Arbëreshë have their own distinct culture and have been able to preserve the original Albanian identity over the centuries. Over the centuries the Arbëreshë have managed to maintain and develop their identities, thanks to their stubbornness and cultural value exercised mainly by the two religious communities of the Eastern Rite Byzantine Catholics. Today, most of the fifty Arbëreshë communities still preserve the Byzantine Catholics belonging to the Italo-Albanian Catholic Church of Eastern Rite, in Calabria and in Sicily. The Arbëresh language is of particular interest to students of the modern Albanian language as it represents the sounds, grammar, and vocabulary of pre-Ottoman Albania. However, the Arbëreshë language has been influenced more by Italian than any other Albanian dialect. See also Arbëreshë on en:Wikipedia.
This category has the following 49 subcategories, out of 49 total.
- ► Italo-Greek Catholic Church (3 C, 4 F)
- ► Lungro (2 C, 2 F)
- ► Stefano Rodotà (5 F)
- ► San Basile (2 F)
- ► San Benedetto Ullano (1 C, 2 F)
- ► San Cosmo Albanese (1 C, 1 F)
- ► San Costantino Albanese (1 F)
- ► San Demetrio Corone (1 C, 2 F)
- ► San Giorgio Albanese (5 F)
- ► San Martino di Finita (1 C, 5 F)
- ► San Marzano di San Giuseppe (1 C, 2 F)
- ► San Nicola dell'Alto (1 F)
- ► San Paolo Albanese (1 F)
- ► Santa Caterina Albanese (2 F)
- ► Santa Cristina Gela (1 P, 3 F)
- ► Santa Sofia d'Epiro (1 F)
- ► Spezzano Albanese (2 C, 5 F)
- ► Traditional clothing of the Arbëreshë (35 F)
- ► Ururi (1 C, 4 F)
Media in category "Arbëreshë"
The following 13 files are in this category, out of 13 total.
- Flag of Sicilian-Arbë...
- Arbitali map.png
- Arbëreshët e Italis...
- Bandiera dei Siculo-Ar...
- Civita (Çifti) (CS)..jpg
- Flag Arbëreshë.png
- Gruppo di ragazzi in c...
- Italia albania1859.jpg