Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: Oruç Reis was an Ottoman bey (governor) of Algiers and beylerbey (chief governor) of the West Mediterranean, and the elder brother of Hayreddin Barbarossa. He became known as Baba Oruç or Baba Aruj (Father Oruç) when he transported large numbers of Morisco, Muslim and Jewish refugees from Spain to North Africa; he was known in folk etymology in Europe as Barbarossa (which means Redbeard in Italian).
|Date of birth||1473 (statement with Gregorian date earlier than 1584), 1474|
|Date of death||1518|
|Country of citizenship|
|Position held|| |
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► TCG Oruçreis (F-245) (14 F)
Media in category "Aruj"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.
- Arolsen Klebeband 01 465 4.jpg 772 × 906; 661 KB
- Arudsch-barbarossa.jpg 700 × 1,040; 518 KB
- Doppelbildnis Horusce und Hareaden Barbarossa (16845279948).jpg 1,597 × 2,048; 1.64 MB
- Gaspar bouttats-Retrato de Horruc.jpg 1,132 × 1,732; 1.33 MB
- Oruc Reis captures a galley.jpg 800 × 1,027; 386 KB