Category:Calvary Church of Calvary-St. George's Parish
The parish of Calvary Church was founded in 1832, and the current church building`at 273 Park Avenue South on the corner of East 21st Street in Manhattan, New York City was constructed in 1848, designed by James Renwick, Jr. The church's two original wooden towers were removed in the early 20th century because of deterioration. The complex also includes the "Renwick Gem", a small building to the north of the church which was built as a theatre but used for that purpose only for a short time, and the Sunday School Building east of the church on Gramercy Park North (East 21st Street), also designed by Renwick, and built in 1867. In 1976, Calvary parish merged with the nearby parishes of St. George's Church and the Church of the Holy Communuion. The Holy Communion buildings were deconsecrated and sold, eventually becoming the Limelight nightclub, and the remaining two churches continued to operate as Calvary-St. George's Parish. (Sources: Calvary-St. George's Parish website, From Abyssinian to Zion (2004), AIA Guide to NYC (4th ed.))
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Calvary House (3 F)
Media in category "Calvary Church of Calvary-St. George's Parish"
The following 13 files are in this category, out of 13 total.
- Calvary Church Calvary-St George.jpg 1,470 × 1,728; 615 KB
- Calvary Church from south.jpg 2,277 × 1,565; 944 KB
- Calvary Church from west.jpg 2,038 × 1,320; 694 KB
- Calvary Church Renwick Gem.jpg 1,552 × 1,795; 695 KB
- Calvary Church.jpg 1,683 × 1,603; 606 KB
- Calvary Episcopal Church - New York - USA - panoramio.jpg 3,264 × 2,448; 2.15 MB
- Calvary postcard c 1880 - Copy - Copy.png 520 × 338; 268 KB
- Calvary-church 1 crop.jpg 298 × 355; 20 KB
- Calvary-church 1.jpg 300 × 415; 17 KB
- FrederickChildeHassam-CalvaryChurchintheSnow.jpg 710 × 868; 142 KB
- Calvary Church, 4th Ave. and 21st St, from Robert N. Dennis collection of stereoscopic views.jpg 2,556 × 1,249; 1,012 KB